Il Davos doomed?

grufolo

On 4/30/2016 at 2:32 PM, grufolo said:

I am a Davos fan,  always been,  since reading the books.

I have the feeling, considered the show mechanics, that he has made a very strange and vaguely out of character step by holing in with a handful of crows, with very little hope, and since this seems a bit worrying to me, I was interested in having general feedback on the following:

- is the move out of character? 

It's like Davos thinks he's guarding Stannis's body, or something.

The Davos character has been butchered worse than Jaime, Sansa, or even Brienne. His actions make absolutely no sense in context--does he even care about Stannis anymore? When did he become bosom buddies with Melisandre? It's utterly puzzling. Liam Cunningham would be better served by playing a cardboard celebrity on a Wheaties box.

His involvement so far with either Jon or Melisandre was kinda forced and weak, that is true, but I believe they need him around because now that Jon is back, he is probably going to send him looking for Rickon/Bran just as in the books, once he learns from Sansa's party that they are alive.

11 hours ago, Bawn said:

Davos was reborn amidst salt (blackwater bay) and smoke (wildfire).  I think he is safe.

OOh. That is not so silly an observation when the whole story is about unlikely people rising to the top. Didn't he grow up in fleabottom? Could his mother have caught someone's eye when they were stepping out from their castle?

10 hours ago, sandpiper said:

OOh. That is not so silly an observation when the whole story is about unlikely people rising to the top. Didn't he grow up in fleabottom? Could his mother have caught someone's eye when they were stepping out from their castle?

It goes further in my mind.  We have the dragon.  The dragon has three heads.  I believe that these heads serve as allies and advisors to the dragon.   The questions are who is the dragon and who are his/her heads?

I think Davos is certainly a candidate.

On 5/1/2016 at 11:09 AM, Bastard of the Dreadfort said:

Sorry, I'm just a bit grumpy because I've lost my Reek and my wife. Not to mention my mother in law is totes about to give birth to my half brother (I'm thinking they both might be good dog food).

Anyway, it's hard to stay positive in these trying times, you know?

Winterfell is mine, come and see! =P

:lmao:

On 5/1/2016 at 0:58 PM, Clash said:

<snip>

Just a word on Liam Cunningham. He has taken that role and really lived it. I don't think anyone can read the books now and not see Liam Cunningham when they read Davos' parts.

i agree with this statement... this often happens for me and normally it isn't in a good way, but cunningham rocks davos and i happily picture him and his timing when i am reading his povs...

and whether it will be in the books or not "i'd like some mutton" was a killer line that made me laugh...

and i agree he has a good chance of surviving the purge that is coming as certainly as winter...

23 hours ago, robasp2 said:

<snip>

... those who remain, wiser yet sad about what all they lost..

"HOPE". That will be the ending accoring to me.

if any of this happens 

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/64846532.jpg

6 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

i agree with this statement... this often happens for me and normally it isn't in a good way, but cunningham rocks davos and i happily picture him and his timing when i am reading his povs...

and whether it will be in the books or not "i'd like some mutton" was a killer line that made me laugh...

and i agree he has a good chance of surviving the purge that is coming as certainly as winter...

I have to think of characters that don't give me a good picture really. The major characters are all very well cast. Dinklage is Tyrion, Sean Bean was Ned Stark, Varys, Littlefinger (despite the early accent wobbles), Jaime, Cersei, Sansa, Arya, Jon Snow, Robb and many more. Some of the Dorne characters not so much although Oberyn was excellent.

The casting directors really earned their corn.

On 4/30/2016 at 5:32 PM, grufolo said:

I am a Davos fan,  always been,  since reading the books.

I have the feeling, considered the show mechanics, that he has made a very strange and vaguely out of character step by holing in with a handful of crows, with very little hope, and since this seems a bit worrying to me, I was interested in having general feedback on the following:

- is the move out of character? 

- is he going to die soon in the show? I have the feeling that some characters are killed in the show when they do something very stupid and out of their usual character. It happened with Stannis, to mention one. 

K

I really like Davos. He has lasted this long because he has an affable way about him. He is intelligent enough to hold his own against the blue bloods and street smart enough to hang with the pirates and scum. He knows when to speak and went to shut up. He has had a little bit of plot armor, but nothing unrealistic, I personally think he survives to the end.

16 hours ago, BlackwaterPark said:

His involvement so far with either Jon or Melisandre was kinda forced and weak, that is true, but I believe they need him around because now that Jon is back, he is probably going to send him looking for Rickon/Bran just as in the books, once he learns from Sansa's party that they are alive.

You certainly are entitled to your view point, but I will counter with this. What is Davos? A smuggler and the Hand to a fallen King. In the books he also was a survivor. Now GoT Davos has been put into much different scenarios than Book Davos, but the character has remained true to the spirit of his book self.

Davos has no where to go, unlike in the books where he has shown his worth to northern lords. He is a dead man walking in Westeros and has become too high profile to go back to smuggling on the other continent.  If it feels forced, it is because he is up against the wall, and has few other options. He defended Jon only because it was either that or die. That and he has a moral compass about him. He is certainly not thrilled with Mel (does not know she burned Shireen) but desperate times require desperate measures. He is probably thinking his only path to life is with the Night's Watch, and only if Jon survives. He has to believe the Fleet has left after hearing of Stanis's defeat as well. There are not many options available to him, and he is doing his best to survive, plus he knows the threat of the White Walkers are real.

Not saying you are wrong, just explaining how I see it differently.

5 hours ago, Mourneblade said:

Not saying you are wrong, just explaining how I see it differently.

I get you, there are a lot of reasons a character like Davos would do what he did. He is one of the few characters that one can consider to be part "of the good guys" every time.

What I feel is more related to the plot being driven to point where Davos ends up being the catalyst for Melisandre to revive Jon. I can't remove the feeling that something doesn't fit, yet I'm not saying it's absolutely crap. Maybe the feeling just comes from knowing what his book fate is opposed to the show one, it may change after seeing what he does now.

Melisandre isnt convinced she has the power to bring someone back from the dead. It is outside her experience of what her magic can and canot do. She goes through a ritual - not sure if its from a textbook on reviving the dead or she just improvised - but she does not seem to believe in it very much except perhaps at the end she says please.. The red god might think she finally stopped being too proud and asked nicely. Which is exactly what that other priest did.

Davos was a total sceptic about magic but then he saw it in action. In a way he has no preconceived boundaries about what it could do, so he is prepared to ask.  We know the dragons are back: magic is growing stronger.

And then Melisandre is too fixated on her kings blood. Not that she is necessarily wrong, but she has totally dismissed Snow because he is the bastard of winterfell. Son of some over rated lord who never even claimed to be a king. She keeps on about her visions starring Snow but cannot reconcile this with the hero she is seeking.  Which no doubt brings us to the tower of Joy, and revelations about his real parentage. Quite how this king's blood might work is a bit unclear because several people seem to have just asserted they were king and that seems good enough, but if Jon is revealed as the descendant of a long line of firmly ruling kings - maybe even the heir apparent - you do not get any more well blooded than that.

It is hard to say what Davos' book fate will be, because it hasn't been published. So too early to say Davos ends up doing things completely differently. The story in the north has been shuffled around but it may yet unwind itself  much the same.

I think Davos will be one of those characters that lives all the way to the end.  He should already be dead if you think about it.  From the battle of blackwater, going against Mel, and taking Gendry.  He should already be dead 10x over and somehow he has managed to beat the death curse in GOT.  I just feel surviving through all of that, there is no way he dies at this point and I won't be surprised if he becomes a more crucial character as the show goes on (Even though if you think about it, he is a critical piece to puzzle at this point in the books).  I wouldn't be surprised when it is all said in done if he is on the Kings counsil in some capacity. 

Archived