TTTNE CDLXIV - You can't take the sky from me

ab aeterno

11 hours ago, Eyron said:

Thank you FoMN.

Sorry to hear it's been so stressful on you. Take a break and do something fun, or sleep if you're lacking. I think you should go to take all exams anyway though, but maybe that's what you intend to do as well. You never know when you strike luck and pass one you thought you'd fail. 

Good day all.

They're all obligatory, I can't decide to just skip one :P Is that a thing where you live?

Oh, I'm taking too many breaks as is. But at least math wasn't as disastrous as I expected. I don't doubt that Economy will be though, I've done next to nothing to prepare for it :leaving:  (Not because of laziness, mostly, but due to a lack of time and energy).

7 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

Guys help me. Wtf should I cook? Keeping in mind that I can't actually cook. 

Read back like five posts or so... 

@DreamSongs speedy recovery to your mom, hope she'll be well soon. 

@FirstofMyName you are the king, you will pass. 

@Eyron same here, and once you are done running the errands you have to wait a month for your new passport. If you want it sooner, you can pay 30k to get it in a week or 45k to get it in 3 days. 

A tosti is the only thing I know how to make, I can't even bake an egg.

Thanks for your confidence, I guess we'll see.

8 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

Guys help me. Wtf should I cook? Keeping in mind that I can't actually cook. 

Read back like five posts or so... 

@DreamSongs speedy recovery to your mom, hope she'll be well soon. 

@FirstofMyName you are the king, you will pass. 

@Eyron same here, and once you are done running the errands you have to wait a month for your new passport. If you want it sooner, you can pay 30k to get it in a week or 45k to get it in 3 days. 

Enchiladas. Nomnom

6 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

Oh don't worry, everybody looks horrible in passport pictures.  And thanks for the tip, I've decided to go for a veggie stir fry with pasta eventually. Can't wait to see how it  turns out. 

In the meanwhile I'm complaining about the mess and making plans for a house makeover in the summer. Alas, it's not my house or my money. But seriously, the place NEEDS a makeover. Starting with a massive decluttering. 

Buckwheat, that's not converted because I'm lazy and forgetful, €100 and €150, which is still a lot though, yeah. 

I'm too lazy to convert but I think €100-150 would be about right for the UK too if I converted into pounds.

23 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

They're all obligatory, I can't decide to just skip one :P Is that a thing where you live?

Oh, I'm taking too many breaks as is. But at least math wasn't as disastrous as I expected. I don't doubt that Economy will be though, I've done next to nothing to prepare for it :leaving:  (Not because of laziness, mostly, but due to a lack of time and energy).

A tosti is the only thing I know how to make, I can't even bake an egg.

Thanks for your confidence, I guess we'll see.

Exams are obligatory of course, but you can not show up. You just won't pass, and I think some places might charge you a fee although I'm not sure about that.

speaking of, 3 down, 1 to go. And, I don't mean to be cocky, but Lord Denning would have been impressed with the way I argued in favour of the little old dearie in my scenario question today ;) 

6 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

Buckwheat, that's not converted because I'm lazy and forgetful, €100 and €150, which is still a lot though, yeah. 

Right, that makes more sense. *nods*

Only three students showed up for the test today. Weird, there were 8 in the group.

10 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm too lazy to convert but I think €100-150 would be about right for the UK too if I converted into pounds.

Exams are obligatory of course, but you can not show up. You just won't pass, and I think some places might charge you a fee although I'm not sure about that.

speaking of, 3 down, 1 to go. And, I don't mean to be cocky, but Lord Denning would have been impressed with the way I argued in favour of the little old dearie in my scenario question today ;) 

I think we have to make the ones we miss later on. Pretty sure there isn't a fee either.

For me it's 4 down, 3 to go. And well done ;) 

Good day. I find the lack of activity in this subforum disturbing.

It just started raining. Boo, such a "lovely" spring we have.

So I am reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. It is quite interesting, although I admit I am kind of put off by the whole Venice-like cities at that point, since there are so many books that use a similar setting: there is Braavos, that city in Stravaganza, Funke's The Thief Lord is set in Venice. So I feel that the setting is kind of worn. The characters are interesting though.

Spoiler

I want to know more about Sabetha and what happened there. And how they found Bug and accepted him into the group. And what the deal with the Grey King is - I am just at thr chapter where Grey King seizes Locke. And I feel that Dona Sofia is cleverer than her husband and might have her own plans. :ninja:

:read:

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Good day. I find the lack of activity in this subforum disturbing.

It just started raining. Boo, such a "lovely" spring we have.

So I am reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. It is quite interesting, although I admit I am kind of put off by the whole Venice-like cities at that point, since there are so many books that use a similar setting: there is Braavos, that city in Stravaganza, Funke's The Thief Lord is set in Venice. So I feel that the setting is kind of worn. The characters are interesting though.

Hide contents

I want to know more about Sabetha and what happened there. And how they found Bug and accepted him into the group. And what the deal with the Grey King is - I am just at thr chapter where Grey King seizes Locke. And I feel that Dona Sofia is cleverer than her husband and might have her own plans. :ninja:

:read:

I've not read Locke Lamora yet (on the planned list) but apparently there is another book (number 4? Or 3?) coming out in September.

16 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I've not read Locke Lamora yet (on the planned list) but apparently there is another book (number 4? Or 3?) coming out in September.

Interesting. But I need to read this one first. :P And then decide if I want to read on in the same series or not.

On 2016-05-18 at 3:17 PM, Buckwheat said:

That is ... a lot.

I had one set of pictures that I actually looked nice on a few years ago. For some time, I had the same one on three different documents. Now I only still have it on the ID card. The one on the driving licence is quite murderous-looking too.

We used to be able to bring a picture but now you have to take a pic right there at the desk. You just turn to your left and there's a machine that takes an unflattering photo, your fingerprints and signature. You are not allowed to smile which does not help.

22 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Well, if you are sick you have to take it during summer or some other time they set a new date. At least when I was in school. If you just don't show up I think there is a fee for setting a new date for the test.

I was however forgetting that you are not in uni, in which case it is different here. In our unis there is always a new date set for those who miss the first time, about two weeks after for most tests. It will have other questions or problems which sometimes makes it more difficult since it is not as easy to guess what they will be, but that depends on the subject.

1 hour ago, Eyron said:

We used to be able to bring a picture but now you have to take a pic right there at the desk. You just turn to your left and there's a machine that takes an unflattering photo, your fingerprints and signature. You are not allowed to smile which does not help.

When I last had any documents made, I had to bring a picture. I dislike it since they made those machines you are supposed to sign instead of a normal signature on paper. I can never sign nicely on that window, it looks like I cannot write.

1 hour ago, Eyron said:

Well, if you are sick you have to take it during summer or some other time they set a new date. At least when I was in school. If you just don't show up I think there is a fee for setting a new date for the test.

I was however forgetting that you are not in uni, in which case it is different here. In our unis there is always a new date set for those who miss the first time, about two weeks after for most tests. It will have other questions or problems which sometimes makes it more difficult since it is not as easy to guess what they will be, but that depends on the subject.

Here there are always more dates for the same subject, they are known in advance. So you can decide which time you are going to take it - because otherwise you might end up with two exams at the same time, which is hardly doable without a Time-Turner. Or of course, retake it if you fail the first time. (Speaking for university here. No such option in high school.)

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Are you telling me you've been making Locke Lamora jokes for years and you haven't read it? :o

And it's the fourth one, yeah.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Interesting. But I need to read this one first. :P And then decide if I want to read on in the same series or not.

I really liked the first one but never continued the series. I might one day.

1 hour ago, Eyron said:

The first part is the same for us, but I'm not aware of any fee.

I think it's the same here for unis.

2 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Are you telling me you've been making Locke Lamora jokes for years and you haven't read it? :o

And it's the fourth one, yeah.

I really liked the first one but never continued the series. I might one day.

The first part is the same for us, but I'm not aware of any fee.

I think it's the same here for unis.

Years? Surely it's not been that long already? Why it feels like only yesterday. 

For us it's the exam in May and then the opportunity to resit in August, in which case your grade is capped at 40% (a bare minimum pass). Not sure on the rules if you have a legitimate reason for missing the exam

21 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Years? Surely it's not been that long already? Why it feels like only yesterday. 

For us it's the exam in May and then the opportunity to resit in August, in which case your grade is capped at 40% (a bare minimum pass). Not sure on the rules if you have a legitimate reason for missing the exam

It feels like years to me :angry: I haven't been this exhausted by a joke since The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Our resit is in June, and we have no grade cap, which sounds like a way better deal to me.

Hullo TTTNE, it's been a minute :D

I'm thinking of going to school soon (all I have is my GED) since I dropped out in my senior year and have missed the learning experience ever since. However I don't have time for a full degree and want to pursue a skill I can actively use day to day... So I've settled on learning a language. I live on campus pretty much already and have time for some night classes. I'm thinking German would be good since it's got a lot in common with English aside from vocab and it's a pretty widespread language in Europe, but I was wondering if anyone has some other suggestions. French or Russian are possibilities too, and I'm wondering which of the three I'd get more use out of if I ever visited Europe

Anyone have some advice? :D

13 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I'm thinking of going to school soon (all I have is my GED) since I dropped out in my senior year and have missed the learning experience ever since. However I don't have time for a full degree and want to pursue a skill I can actively use day to day... So I've settled on learning a language. I live on campus pretty much already and have time for some night classes. I'm thinking German would be good since it's got a lot in common with English aside from vocab and it's a pretty widespread language in Europe, but I was wondering if anyone has some other suggestions. French or Russian are possibilities too, and I'm wondering which of the three I'd get more use out of if I ever visited Europe

Hello! Europe is not a homogenous place, so the answer would vary widely. If you were to go to France or the French-speaking part of Switzerland, you would do best if you knew French. If you were to go to Russia (and probably Ukraine and Belorussia, but the question is if the people there would "want" to understand you in Russian), then you could be best suited with the knowledge of Russian. And if you were to go to either Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein or the German-speaking part of Switzerland, of course German would be most useful. But then, Europeans tend to know foreign languages as well, apparently most popular to learn are English, German, French and Spanish.

I would be vary of thinking "these two languages have a lot in common" (German and English actually do not have that much in commmon) and thinking it will make it easier learning the other one. It might confuse you more than help in some cases, really.

All these things considered, I strongly recommend learning Slovene.

:P

7 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Hello! Europe is not a homogenous place, so the answer would vary widely. If you were to go to France or the French-speaking part of Switzerland, you would do best if you knew French. If you were to go to Russia (and probably Ukraine and Belorussia, but the question is if the people there would "want" to understand you in Russian), then you could be best suited with the knowledge of Russian. And if you were to go to either Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein or the German-speaking part of Switzerland, of course German would be most useful. But then, Europeans tend to know foreign languages as well, apparently most popular to learn are English, German, French and Spanish.

I would be vary of thinking "these two languages have a lot in common" (German and English actually do not have that much in commmon) and thinking it will make it easier learning the other one. It might confuse you more than help in some cases, really.

All these things considered, I strongly recommend learning Slovene.

:P

I think German and French would be about equally difficult to learn as I know of little(very little!) of both. German has the same grammatic system which would help with everyday conversation I think

I also want a good skill to help with finding jobs, and I don't think knowing a popular foreign language will ever be phased out or not be in demand. Germany sounds like a good starting point for my European voyages, and yes I am banking on the average European to be more bilingual so we can communicate better over there 

Just now, Leonardo said:

I think German and French would be about equally difficult to learn as I know of little(very little!) of both. German has the same grammatic system which would help with everyday conversation I think

I also want a good skill to help with finding jobs, and I don't think knowing a popular foreign language will ever be phased out or not be in demand. Germany sounds like a good starting point for my European voyages, and yes I am banking on the average European to be more bilingual so we can communicate better over there 

Uhhhhh, who told you that German has the same grammatic system as English? Cause it totally, absolutely has not. German has four casus, which English does not have, which is in itself a concept probably hard to understand for native English speakers. But then, it has far fewer verb tenses, (which makes more sense to me than English). The syntax (i. e. how you put words together to make sentences) is also pretty different, as German allows for more various word orders than English.

Just now, Buckwheat said:

Uhhhhh, who told you that German has the same grammatic system as English? Cause it totally, absolutely has not. German has four casus, which English does not have, which is in itself a concept probably hard to understand for native English speakers. But then, it has far fewer verb tenses, (which makes more sense to me than English). The syntax (i. e. how you put words together to make sentences) is also pretty different, as German allows for more various word orders than English.

This is why I came here ;)

So slovene it is then? It that an offshoot from Russian or is that an offensive question?

What's your best recomendation for an American to learn to prepare for Europe?

Archived