Not CLEGANEBOWL but Mountain Vs Loras

Hodorys

40 minutes ago, thegreenmanalishi83 said:

Doesn't the Faiths champion have to be someone who can actually win? Eg Tommen(because his mum will let him,or the mountain can't strike him) or The Hound?

What would be the point of Loras or Lancel doing it?

Loras, for one, is easily one of the top 10 fighters in the seven kingdoms. I could 100% see the Faith using him as their champion. He would be inclined to do it as well, because he must know that Cersei is behind the reason why he's in custody to begin with.

As for Tommen, I'm sure their is no way that the Faith has the power to force the King to fight, even if he knew he wouldn't get harmed. Tommen would never want to win if it meant his mother's demise. Especially since there are some big pieces of evidence suggesting that Tommen and Margery are deceiving the High Sparrow.

10 hours ago, ColorsVersatile said:

The difference between Loras and Tommen is that Loras is desperate to get out and pretty much broken by the Faith Militant. He is homosexual, his crime is like 10x worse than Margaery, who knows what they did to him. So he might agree to face the Mountain just out of despair, to get out.

High Sparrow is a schemer, but he is not only after the Lannisters, or Cersei. He is after EVERY form of nobility that doesn't bow to him. Loras dead = one less noble house.

Yeah but if he gets Loras killed he loses his hold on Margaery and Tommen, therefore requesting Tommen as the champion forces Cersei to forfeit.

Uhm, unless the HS is a complete idiot or really wants to lose, I don't think choosing Loras would be the right decision. For one, dude looks malnourished and mind-fucked currently. I dunno how long he's been in there, but he definitely hasn't been practicing fighting for a while now. Not only that, but we have no real indication of show-Loras' fighting ability. The show, for some reason, likes/liked to focus on his cock-slaying abilities rather than his swordsmanship/lancing.

Besides, even if the HS doesn't know it's really the Mountain underneath that armor, it's still a big ass dude, and it should be common sense that Cersei wouldn't have a scrubby personal bodyguard.

Unless of course that was all a front for Marg, and Loras is actually being secretly trained by the Sparrows, deep underground in their hidden Shinobi monastery.

One way I could see them having Loras fight the trial by combat. Cersei asks for it. As far as I know only rarely is a trial by combat denied so the HS goes along with it. Fully aware that no one can beat The Mountain he sees to make the best out of a bad situation. I don't believe for one second he thinks Marg is a convert so he settles on Loras knowing he will lose. With that he will use his death to try and cause trouble between Tommen and Marg and have them drift apart.  Telling Marg that Cersei knew it was going to be Loras who would fight, but still went along with it. 

18 hours ago, thegreenmanalishi83 said:

Doesn't the Faiths champion have to be someone who can actually win? Eg Tommen(because his mum will let him,or the mountain can't strike him) or The Hound?

What would be the point of Loras or Lancel doing it?

No one else stupid or desperate enough to go against the Mountain? HS is clever, but it's not like the Faith is so spoilt for a choice of warriors who could defeat the Mountain.

My money was on Lancel before, but after Tommen's 'convertion' I would go with him too. All of this 'I have the Mountain and he is unstoppable!' build up is just asking for a twist.

15 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

And since Margery is apparently doing her thing to get Loras free, wouldn't having Loras go up against the Mt. defeat that? 

Unless Loras winning also set him free.

It would accomplish 2 goals for Margery.  

Cersei gone, Loras free.

Oh I think this is how the trial will go down, Sandor vs Gregor... I just think everyone is looking at the wrong season for it to happen.  We have what's likely 2 episodes left... as 9 sounds like it's going to be a full length battle, like the Blackwater in Season 2.  I think given the time we have left, it would feel shoehorned in and not do it justice... she's obviously going to start a fight with the Faith Militant in one of these, just don't think they could set up the trial that quickly with the fallout I expect from that.

The KIng's guard fights on behalf of the Royal Family.  So, if Tommin is chosen and chooses the Mountain then Cerci has a problem and it would make keeping "Tommin" in check harder for the HS.  If Loras is chosen then the HS can drive a wedge between the Terrels and Lannisters.  I find that more likely and a good move politically.  Divide your enemies.

The Faith will probably take time to select the best fighter they can get, and if they spread the word that they need a warrior to fight the mountain Sandor might take the job.. Especially if we found out that it wasn't BWB who killed the cult but instead Clegane men still sacking the Riverlands even when their lord is.. absent. In Tyrions second trial Cercei rode to Cleganes keep to ask Gregor to fight, they didn't need to select the fighter immediately when Tywin announced the sentence.

Loras is in a bad condition, so only reason he would ask Loras to fight the Mountain is if he wants to force a major conflict between Tyrells and Lannisters.. But an event this big probably is about constant with the book version, so I don't understand how Faith would get Loras to fight the Mountain in the books.

I have pondered Loras as the candidate as well.  It would take him closer to where his character is in the books, and also I believe the actor has a part on a new series.

Or this could just be that I'm not a super big fan of the "Celganebowl" theory.  If it is true I'm hoping it's a show only thing b/c I like where Sandor's story left off in the books.  

19 hours ago, Sigrid said:

I have pondered Loras as the candidate as well.  It would take him closer to where his character is in the books, and also I believe the actor has a part on a new series.

Or this could just be that I'm not a super big fan of the "Celganebowl" theory.  If it is true I'm hoping it's a show only thing b/c I like where Sandor's story left off in the books.  

That's because Cleganebowl is a dumb theory.

22 hours ago, Baroque said:

If HS knows what Cersei has planned, can HS decide it's trial by combat first and choose the Mountain as HIS champion?

The Mountain is a Kingsguard, so I don't see how he could fight against the case of a royal family member. He is also not the member of the Faith, he wouldn't have listened to HS, and there is this monster-zombie-bad-to-PR-if-revealed angle.

As for the opponent... It's the fucking Mountain. He was famous before and he probably got more famous after what happened to Oberyn. Westeros might be full of arrogant people, but whoever goes against him, has to be an idiot with a death wish or someone as desperate as Loras. The Faith might take it's sweet time selecting their champion, but it's almost certain they don't stand a chance picking a candidate who could owerpower the Mountain - there just has to be some kind of trick. I'm starting to think that there will be no trial because Cersei goes on a rampage first, or that the fanatics will try to deactivite the Mountain some other way, there might be some.

On 6/7/2016 at 5:29 PM, thegreenmanalishi83 said:

But Loras is a broken man. Is it reasonable to expect him to be able to fight a Zombie Mountain after being sat in a cell for months and tortured?

My thoughts too.  Loras has been in the cells and is doing terribly.  There's no reasonable way he would be able to fight (though perhaps D&D move from teleporter to time dilation for Loras' recovery and training for the fight). Nonetheless, I've been inspired to begin my 3-4th re-read of the books and noticed in the books how surprised/upset folks were when Loras volunteered to go after the Brigand Ser Gregor, but Ned refused him and sent Beric D. and Thoros instead.  I like the Tommen theories better. Sort of wish I hadn't read them as my mind would have been blown.  Not unreasonable to think Tommen is the champion versus SRS/Zombie Mountain, then Cersei goes crazy with the wildfire.  

I generally discount Cleganebowl as a trial by combat.  Wouldn't be surprised if they met on the field of battle, but Hound doesn't seem to be as lusty for war as he was except for the last scene of the episode.  It seems like Hound would be more focuses on the Riverlands unless he decided to go to the root of the problem at KL.  While teleporters exist, don't see the Hound in KL this season. 

Archived