So After That I Episode I Don't Think the Book is Getting Spoiled Very Much (Book Spoilers)

Maxxine

40 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

If I was going to put money on it, I'd bet on seeing season 7 before seeing Winds of Winter.

Exactly. I think the lack of spoilers means there are no detailed outlines and no clear plans for most of the characters after ADWD so once the book ended D&D had nowhere to go except the end. And that means either the book is still far from finish or it just don´t move the plot that much. Problem is, D&D obviously aren´t interested in the second dance with dragons, which seems like such a pointless soap plot, with the boy who may lived and Aegon suddenly sweeping over. In the show it´s fairly clear Dany will have to face the already established characters like Cersei and Littlefinger, not the new bunch like Aegon and Arianna. 

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

If I was going to put money on it, I'd bet on seeing season 7 before seeing Winds of Winter.

Agree to this. My thinking is, if the book isn't out by the Christmas shopping season, then we won't see it until sometime next year. Someone posted in another thread, that he may be waiting until the show is wrapped up, which would be 2018, if there are 13 more episodes.

46 minutes ago, Lady Lark of the NorthWood said:

Agree to this. My thinking is, if the book isn't out by the Christmas shopping season, then we won't see it until sometime next year. Someone posted in another thread, that he may be waiting until the show is wrapped up, which would be 2018, if there are 13 more episodes.

Well if you look at it from GRRM's side of things, does it really benefit him to have this series finally come to an end? I am sure he loves the fanfare and speculative theories regarding his creation. Ask yourselves this, what will happen once the series finally comes to an end? No more speculation and the majority will have no more interest.

By this line of thinking, I think you guys are right in that we should not expect any books this year. Any hope for a finale could be expected by the 2020's.

On 6/13/2016 at 8:02 PM, Im With Stannis said:

Apparently, Jaime being in the Riverlands is somehow significant, according to GRRM. Something is going to happen there.

He will die/Arya will kill him and harvest his face to use to assasinate Cersei.

12 hours ago, lalunadelmar said:

I think that gives the writers too much credit. LOL. I'm going with the simplest answer. I'm inclined to believe the writers really are just that bad. And the fact that D&D give themselves such a big pat on the back for this season and the last just makes me laugh. 

It's sad because they pulled off Season 1 so perfectly, perhaps it was just easier with that core group of characters. Once the world started to expand as the story developed, the show went to absolute crap with some highlights here and there. It's obvious that they spent more time on great episodes like Blackwater, Hardholme, The Watchers on the Wall, and a few more and they skimmed over the "filler" episodes.

This next episode 9 will be good it seems but I am not hopeful for the season finale. I predict this season ends flat.

On 6/13/2016 at 11:31 AM, Maxxine said:

I was on a topic last week and the discussion was how much the shows are actually spoiling the books. Different opinions and I was of the opinion that the shows weren't spoiling too much and after this week I'm even more sure of that. Yes I know that the show has showed Jon's resurrection and Dany taking the Dothraki (big storylines), but to me those were more confirmations more than spoilers. I know, I know that just a matter of semantics but that's just how I feel about it. I really don't think these were spoilers because I believe the "how" will be completely different anyway especially in Jon's case. No way it's that easy in the book. I predict he won't be back in his body until at least half way through the book. Plus I expect there to be a lot of immediate repercussions to his death considering the wildlings are already there. The only thing I feel truly "spoiled" about at this point is Bran's storyline because of the "hold the door" thing and how the Others may be crossing the Wall. 

After watching this episode, I really feel the show is going a different direction. Do I really think there is going to not be a Cersei trial by combat in the book? Nope. 1) That just seems such a deeply embedded thing for the 7 no way there's doing away with it that randomly. Of course it's possible and it's obvious why that would be a good thing for the Faith if they really want Cersei dead especially since they have tons of evidence, I just don't see it. 2) I would be shocked if Tommen grows that much of backbone in the book to actually betray his mother. He's just too young and doesn't seem to have the disposition for it even if he was older. 3) Gregor goes through this whole frakenstein thing for nothing. Cersei may still find a way around this in the show. We'll have to wait and see, but I'd be surprised if we got this proclamation in the book regardless.

The Arya storyline is another "confirmation" for me. Figured she would leave the FM at some point, but not like that.  The waif doesn't have the weird unexplained vendetta against Arya and even if she did wouldn't she use poison instead of chasing her around Bravvos? 

In the Riverlands, it doesn't seem like Lady Stoneheart is going to be a thing so that already takes out a big part of the book plot. Maybe the Blackfish still dies but I feel like he would still do something significant first not just dying stupidly because of his pride.

Like I said before the Dany thing is not really what I consider a spoiler. The "how" is going to happen a lot differently imo. First she has Drogon with her when the Dothraki find her so that has to have some impact. Second, neither Daario or Jorah are in a position to help save her. The Meereen storyline is pretty much where it is in the books except Dany isn't there and I don't think she's actually going to get there  in time for the Battle of Meereen in the  books anyway. It seems like Tyrion has just taken her place in the books and we're definitely not being spoiled to his storyline. I do think he will ultimately end up running Meereen until Dany comes back, but at the end of the books he's still outside of the Walls and doesn't seem to be close to getting in.

In addition to the stuff they've changed they've left a lot of stuff out that going to significantly impact the books. Aegon, LSH, Golden Company, Citadel (though they may get to that with Sam), Arianne, Quentyn, Damphair, Victarion (though I assume Asha and Theon are taking that storyline), Robb's will, the Manderlys, etc.

So with all this stuff and only 2 episodes left I just think there's not going too much spoiled this season especially to the "how" and "why" to the big events, which to me is just as important. Next is the Battle of WF, which is going to be a Stannis storyline in the books so that fact alone immediately makes it different because of the different context and different implications.Don't know about episode 10.

I agree with most of what you said, I've really felt like last season and this have been mostly filler, even though a few important things have happened. Basically, all the pieces are being put into place in the way D&D choose, because they don't know the details, they just know the main plot points and are trying to get there the best way they know how, which unfortunately is laughably written and poorly paced.

I'm basically just watching the show now to see it out to the bitter end, a sort of "Well, I already invested so much time into it, so...." I'm hoping next season stuff will actually start to HAPPEN again.

20 minutes ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

He will die/Arya will kill him and harvest his face to use to assasinate Cersei.

How about she kills SweetRobin and commands the Vale to kill LF / betray Jamie? Seems like a good fit. Just spit-balling here. 

34 minutes ago, tmug said:

Well if you look at it from GRRM's side of things, does it really benefit him to have this series finally come to an end? I am sure he loves the fanfare and speculative theories regarding his creation. Ask yourselves this, what will happen once the series finally comes to an end? No more speculation and the majority will have no more interest.

By this line of thinking, I think you guys are right in that we should not expect any books this year. Any hope for a finale could be expected by the 2020's.

Really? The show aside, I fully expect the speculation and theorizing to continue well after Dream of Spring. I highly doubt that Martin will spell out who AAR or the PtwP were, among other things, leaving us wondering what if still even when the main story is done.

I think another thing to consider is George's age. Someone mentioned somewhere that he was close to 70. If I were him,I'd want to try and get both books out as soon as possible, rather than risking the possibility that either through some debilitating illness, or death, they wouldn't be finished at all.

Archived