2016 NBA Finals-Things to do in Cleveland When the King is Dead

Manhole Eunuchsbane

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

One thing I do want to note is that LeBron did not have a great game in game 7. He was superb in game 5, very good in game 6, but if you've seen the whole game 7 you'll see he struggled badly. He wasn't poor by any means, but not a great game.

His game six was better than his game five.  Statistically it was the most efficient individual Finals game ever, or at least since the mid-eighties when the stats are available.  Game five was the third most efficient Finals game ever as well.  Still, when I remember game five I'll remember it as Kyrie's game.  LeBron was better that night, to be sure, but Kyrie stepped up and dropped 41 on the road when no other Cav beside LeBron could buy a basket.

As for game seven, I don't know how anyone wouldn't call that a great game from LeBron.  He had a triple double and saved the game when he blocked Iggy on the fast break in one of the most spectacular Finals plays of all time.  We'll be seeing that clip for years.  He didn't shoot well, sure, but he did everything else well.

4 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Hmmm, I saw him the whole game and he struggled, wasn't feeling it.

He was immensely valuable to the team, but not a great LeBron game in my opinion.

On another note, his Instagram post today:

They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY  BUSINESS

#StriveForGreatness#ThisOneIsForTheLand#PutSomeRespeckOnMyName

Even a touch of humility is lost on him ;)

Which has it's own entertainment value, I hasten to add. But his ego is enormous, no doubt.

If you want to criticize Lebron's ego and public persona be my guest.  I don't really care one way or another so long as he isn't breaking any laws (which he isn't). 

And I guess I just don't put much stock in "he was immensely valuable to his team, but he struggled."  He was inarguably the best player on the Cavaliers in the game, who just won a road game seven against a historically great opponent.  That is a hell of an accomplishment, and this criticism of (somewhat) inefficient shooting is just nitpicking. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do you guys think the Knicks would accept Blake for Melo, assuming he waves his no trade clause? Because if they would, I think there is a decent chance we end up with a Clippers super team of CP3, Wade, Melo, James and Jordan. Obviously a lot of things would have to break the right way, but those 4 guys have always expressed a desire to play together. 

YES.

33 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

And I guess I just don't put much stock in "he was immensely valuable to his team, but he struggled."  He was inarguably the best player on the Cavaliers in the game, who just won a road game seven against a historically great opponent.  That is a hell of an accomplishment, and this criticism of (somewhat) inefficient shooting is just nitpicking. 

Agreed. To me this was one of those games where the players worth to the team's overall effort really didn't show up as clearly in the box score. What I saw was a guy who was firing up his teammates and coming up in the clutch on numerous occasions. It seemed like everytime the Warriors went on a run, LeBron was the guy who put an end to it. Either by coming up with a big block or stop or hitting a big shot or drawing a big foul. There's no doubt in my mind that he fueled that win.  

53 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do you guys think the Knicks would accept Blake for Melo, assuming he waves his no trade clause? Because if they would, I think there is a decent chance we end up with a Clippers super team of CP3, Wade, Melo, James and Jordan. Obviously a lot of things would have to break the right way, but those 4 guys have always expressed a desire to play together. 

I think there are way too many moving parts to construct a 5-player superteam in LAC.  Yes, the Knicks would trade Melo for Griffin, they would be crazy not to.  The problem is that even with the salary cap going up, I'm skeptical that they are going to have any sort of bench with the salaries those guys are going to expect.  And yet if you have a superteam of 5 guys all in their 30s (ok, DJ would be 28), you have to have a bench.  Hell, you can't even expect those 5 will make it through the season without injury.

In terms of team construction it isn't crazy, three of those guys are still very good defenders.  I would worry that there isn't enough ball to go around offensively, since none of those guys are really great without the ball in their hands.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

He was inarguably the best player on the Cavaliers in the game, who just won a road game seven against a historically great opponent.  That is a hell of an accomplishment, and this criticism of (somewhat) inefficient shooting is just nitpicking. 

This.

altho im not even sure why this is a topic of conversation.

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think there are way too many moving parts to construct a 5-player superteam in LAC.  Yes, the Knicks would trade Melo for Griffin, they would be crazy not to.  The problem is that even with the salary cap going up, I'm skeptical that they are going to have any sort of bench with the salaries those guys are going to expect.  And yet if you have a superteam of 5 guys all in their 30s (ok, DJ would be 28), you have to have a bench.  Hell, you can't even expect those 5 will make it through the season without injury.

I do agree it's unlikely, but given that they've expressed interest in all 4 of them playing together, I think this would be the only way to make it happen. The salary cap won't matter because they can all take pay cuts and Ballmer would have no issue with going deep into the luxury tax to make this team happen. 

15 minutes ago, Relic said:

This.

altho im not even sure why this is a topic of conversation.

Because people don't like LeBron and thus look for reasons to invalidate his success.  Giving Kyrie the Finals MVP would be a step in that direction.  And while Kyrie was great and in any other series probably would have been the MVP, LeBron basically just put together quite possibly the greatest all time Finals series by an individual player.  He's the first player to ever lead both teams in points, assists, rebounds, blocks, and steals.  Think about that for a second.  It's absolutely absurd.

16 minutes ago, briantw said:

Because people don't like LeBron and thus look for reasons to invalidate his success.  Giving Kyrie the Finals MVP would be a step in that direction.  And while Kyrie was great and in any other series probably would have been the MVP, LeBron basically just put together quite possibly the greatest all time Finals series by an individual player.  He's the first player to ever lead both teams in points, assists, rebounds, blocks, and steals.  Think about that for a second.  It's absolutely absurd.

I actually think his performance last year when he dragged a D League Team to six games with this same Warriors team was better.

Heard a stat this morning.  Second leading scorer for the Cavs last year in the Finals?  Timofey Mozgov.  He played 26 total minutes in the seven games this year.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I actually think his performance last year when he dragged a D League Team to six games with this same Warriors team was better.

Heard a stat this morning.  Second leading scorer for the Cavs last year in the Finals?  Timofey Mozgov.  He played 26 total minutes in the seven games this year.

Winning two games last year against the Warriors was impressive, all things considered, but his performance this year was just so much more efficient.  It was a GOAT performance.  I wouldn't say that about last year.

4 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I kinda liked when Iverson took 11 scrubs to the finals

That team and the 2007 Cavs team were the two worst Finals rosters of all time.  Amazing that either team made it that far.  But I guess that's what makes the NBA unique.  One superstar can put a whole roster on his back sometimes.

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

Winning two games last year against the Warriors was impressive, all things considered, but his performance this year was just so much more efficient.  It was a GOAT performance.  I wouldn't say that about last year.

I dunno, I remember being just awestruck that Lebron could be as effective as he was when the Cavs had no talent whatsoever around him.  Iguodala, Green, Barnes and Thompson all took their shot at him, and Lebron still won the matchup over and over again. 

If you take last year's Finals team in games 2-6 and take away Lebron, they don't just miss the playoffs, they are clearly one of the worst teams in the league.  To win two games against the Warriors with that squad was damn impressive. 

I felt like in 2015 game 4 Lebron started to run out of gas from always being the #1 option every single trip down the floor, having to beat Iguodala off the dribble and then either Green and Bogut at the rim.  I don't blame him for running out of gas, I don't think anyone could have done it, but it honestly felt like if Lebron had a week off between games 3 and 4 that he might have been able to singlehandedly beat the Warriors. 

2 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I kinda liked when Iverson took 11 scrubs to the finals

That 76ers team was AI on offense, and the rest of the team plays defense.  They had some good defenders on that squad though, led by Mutumbo. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I believe Dirk said he's not interested in being part of another rebuild. But yeah, he seems really loyal to Mark Cuban otherwise. I suppose it will be a tough sell to pry him away from the Mavs.

I think that Dirk might have left if he'd never won a title in Dallas, but he did, so I think he's there to stay.  Going to an elite team to ring chase does nothing for his legacy.  He's already got his marquee moment from 2011, and he also undid the sins of 2006 in that series.

Archived