Final thoughts on Season 6.

Channel4s-JonSnow

This was definitely the worst season so far. It made the extremely disappointing S5 look good in comparison.

Its obvious to me D&D are tired of the show and just want to end it asap.  Fortunately for them with the last episode they could actually finish the show in less than 10 episodes.

For me it was a very uneven season. There was a lot to like and, as someone above said, it was visually spectacular all the way through. I enjoyed most of the big events, but was often dissatisfied with the plotting that preceded them. For instance, the battle of the bastards looked incredible but I was annoyed with the complete lack of support from the Northern lords and I couldn't help but see the battle as a victory not for Jon, who didn't really achieve anything, but for Littlefinger. The fact that all the Northern lords then bowed to Jon and proclaimed him King in the North subsequently felt hollow, because a) their loyalty doesn't really mean anything anymore and b ) I'm not convinced Jon really proved himself worthy of the honour. After all, his big victory was secured by Littlefinger! I'm sure that the Northern lords would swear fealty to him, but proclaim him King in the North? I'm not convinced. The Riverrun plotline never felt like anything more than a box-ticking exercise - I think they didn't want another Gendry scenario!! And the less said about Dorne the better (though I very much enjoyed the scene where Olenna Tyrell told the sand snakes to stfu :D). I've been finding Dany increasingly boring/ annoying since the second season, but I did think there was an improvement this season. Although Emilia Clarke's superior Khaleesi smirk still irritates me (I put that down to the way the character has been written, not the actress). 

That said, I did enjoy much of the season. I particularly thought the trial, destruction of the sept and Tommen's suicide were very cleverly done. 

Completely corrected course from the misstep that was season 5. Better than season 4 and 2 as well, which struggled for not having much meat to them. 

Plot wise it wasn't near as tight as 1 and 3. Production wise it's arguably one of the best shows on television. Probably only two episodes I'd call "weak".

The final two episodes were absolute highlights of the series and pretty much blew away any battle or single episode done prior. Even Rains of Castemere and Blackwater were solidly knocked down a peg. 

Realistically this was a make or break season for the shows legacy. Shows usually fall apart around the 4th or 5th season. And those were definitely the weakest of this show. But the response to this season across the board has been by and large overwhelmingly positive from most outlets. So now it's just how the endgame is executed. 

The biggest criticism is that the show pretty decidedly moved on from the intricacies of the first 3 seasons and is now using broad strokes to fulfill its plots. Part of that is that the world has expanded too much to really get that season 1 or 2 detail that made everything richer. Part of that is just a desire to set the board as fast as possible to get to the endgame. That has resulted in a lot of plots being very face value. While at the same time I think a lot of the audience expresses weariness whenever they give us a set up episode. So there is sort of a balancing act. 

That aside. The acting is as good as ever, the direction is clear. We are getting cinematic level production. The big moments are as big as ever. The show seems to have found its best director who should be in charge of every important episode going forward. 

This was a massive success for the show. There was a definite sacrafice to get there, but overall the show is on a high. Probably would put this up with season 3 but for entirely different reasons 

10 hours ago, frisken said:

I also feel like the show has left what once made it famous. That the good side don't always win especially when the evil side is stronger. But this season has only been feel-good feelings. And the show is too much Disney. I bet it's going to end with Jon and Daeneryes getting married and killing off the remaining bad guys Cersei, Jamie etc. and finally they face the WW threat and win. I hope D&D are giving us false hope and take it away the next seasons. 

The last thing I didn't like is everything is predictable. Everything from Jon's resurrection to Vale army saving the day and to Cersei burning her enemies. Where are the twists? Where are the plans that didn't go as planned? Where are the bad guys that fucks up for the heroes so that they have to adjust their plans.

Couldn't agree more. When was the last time a good main character gone for good? Rob and Catelyn in the season 3. Perhaps Oberyn too in season 4 but he wasn't main. This show has become insanely popular because of the realistic, shocking and emotional deaths. When the situation favored a bad guy over a good guy, the bad guy won until the end of Martin's books.

And yes, it was very predictable this season because they've done fan service. And let's not start with those last minute saves, miracle healings, supernatural resurrections that seemed to target the main good characters only and no one else.

50 minutes ago, permaximum said:

Couldn't agree more. When was the last time a good main character gone for good? Rob and Catelyn in the season 3. Perhaps Oberyn too in season 4 but he wasn't main. This show has become insanely popular because of the realistic, shocking and emotional deaths. When the situation favored a bad guy over a good guy, the bad guy won until the end of Martin's books.

And yes, it was very predictable this season because they've done fan service. And let's not start with those last minute saves, miracle healings, supernatural resurrections that seemed to target the main good characters only and no one else.

Margaery and Hodor died this season. 

3 minutes ago, permaximum said:

Margery can't be classified as a good character. Anyways, they are not main characters. The main characters I'm talking about Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Sansa and Bran.

I don't see how Robb is more "main" then Margaery. Margaery has appeared in more episodes than Robb and has roughly the same screentime (a tiny bit more than him) and was the most "good" character in King's Landing. The only objective main character death the whole story ever had, both books and show, is Ned, and it's been riding on that moment ever since. You could maybe count Catelyn, but we know how that fiasco ended in the books. Anyways, I don't really see why you'd want those main characters to die. Without them there is no plot, and I'm sure all 6 of them will make it through the end (maybe Sansa won't).

13 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Ok so now Season 6 is over, what are your final thoughts? ( Even though I can guess! )

My personal opinion is that it was a slight improvement on Season 5, which I still thought was good, but that the show has been hurt by the decision to end so early. 

This season contained many fantastic moments (Hodor, BotB, Jon resurrection, Mad Cercei, Sandor) but also quite a few clunkers ( Euron, Sandsnakes, Sams family, any speech involving Dany). Its made for a real up and down season that never really got into its stride or managed to build up a head of steam towards its finales. While the final episodes were fantastic, they could have been made better had there been more in the previous episodes setting them up.

I loved the battle of the bastards, it was fantastic, but why was there so little time given to Jon and co going round the North, it felt like the most economical way of doing it as possible, and so when it came to the battle, it didn't have the emotional heft it should have. I could say the same of Jon's resurrection. While I loved the scenes themselves.. there wasn't enough build up, it happened all too quickly and then there was no aftermath at all, Jon seemes relatively unchanged ( although you can tell from Kits performance thats not quite true)

This season mostly just had problems with pacing, on their own each episode was actually pretty good, but taken as a whole you have to wonder why the first few episodes felt so rushed, and the last set all seemed to just settle down and take their time. Why was that lack of balance there. Possibly its too much content for too few episodes, too many plot points that need to be ticked off to get the story working.

Either way I'm looking forward to the next season more than ever now.

I mostly agree. I wonder if D&D would have rather had only 7 episodes this season as well but were too far into it to change things. 

I think it was better than season 5. Mostly pacing and logical issues, but overall "fine". I mostly found Kingslanding, Meeren, Daenerys, Braavos to be boring, and Jon and Sansa to be a bit annoying. Similar to season 5 in that they speed through the plot but go at a slow pace, as odd as that is. Just a lot of unnecessary scenes. We need more scenes like Sam in the library. It was simple, and the way it was shot showed more about the character than any dialogue could do. 

I think episodes 5 and 10 were great, and episodes 4 and 9 were good. The rest was mostly forgettable. 

1 hour ago, Lautrec said:

I don't see how Robb is more "main" then Margaery. Margaery has appeared in more episodes than Robb and has roughly the same screentime (a tiny bit more than him) and was the most "good" character in King's Landing. The only objective main character death the whole story ever had, both books and show, is Ned, and it's been riding on that moment ever since. You could maybe count Catelyn, but we know how that fiasco ended in the books. Anyways, I don't really see why you'd want those main characters to die. Without them there is no plot, and I'm sure all 6 of them will make it through the end (maybe Sansa won't).

With your logic Ned wasn't a main character too. Because Margery had more screen time thanks to Robb's death in the third season.

Also, I don't want main characters to die for the sake of it. In a world like this if you have many enemies there should be times your survival odds are worse and in those situations you should die.

That's what I liked about GOT the most. After Ned's death I was certain no one would be safe and after the Red Wedding, I was furious as hell but I liked it because it made sense. Robb and Catelyn couldn't escape the reality of death just because they were main characters.

Just now, permaximum said:

With your logic Ned wasn't a main character too. Because Margery had more screen time thanks to Robb's death in the third season.

Also, I don't want main characters to die for the sake of it. In a world like this if you have many enemies there should be times your survival odds are worse and in those situations you should die.

That's what I liked about GOT the most. After Ned's death I was certain no one would be safe and after the Red Wedding, I was furious as hell but I liked it because it made sense. Robb and Catelyn couldn't escape the reality of death just because they were main characters.

Ned still has more screen time than Robb or Margaery. 

A fine thing to like about the show but a death has to serve a narrative purpose and not just be for the sake of ending a main character's story. Ned's death started the War of the Five Kings, Robb and Catelyn's death ended the Northern campaign. What purpose would at this point in the story Dany's, Jon's, Arya's, Bran's, Sansa's, or Tyrion's serve, aside from annoying viewers. 

1 hour ago, Lautrec said:

Ned still has more screen time than Robb or Margaery. 

A fine thing to like about the show but a death has to serve a narrative purpose and not just be for the sake of ending a main character's story. Ned's death started the War of the Five Kings, Robb and Catelyn's death ended the Northern campaign. What purpose would at this point in the story Dany's, Jon's, Arya's, Bran's, Sansa's, or Tyrion's serve, aside from annoying viewers. 

So do you think if Margery's screen time passed his by living the next season, Ned wouldn't be a main character? I think it was obvious that Robb was a main character but Margery was not. Robb was definetely a good character but Margery was a manipulative power-hungry character. After the death of Ned, Robb was THE main character imo. If he didn't have one of the the longest screen time in season 2 and 3 then I know nothing.

Well, I liked GOT's narrative because of it was as realistic as it could go in a fantasy world. I don't like those narratives which are too unrealistic just to keep the main characters alive in a very unforgiving world.

3 minutes ago, permaximum said:

So do you think if Margery's screen time passed his by living the next season, Ned wouldn't be a main character? I think it was obvious that Robb was a main character but Margery was not. Robb was definetely a good character but Margery was a manipulative power-hungry character. After the death of Ned, Robb was THE main character imo. If he didn't have one of the the longest screen time in season 2 and 3 then I know nothing.

Well, I liked GOT's narrative because of it was as realistic as it could go in a fantasy world. I don't like those narratives which are too unrealistic just to keep the main characters alive in a very unforgiving world.

The only reason Robb and Ned died was because they were only main characters in a very micro sense. In a shorter story Ned is basically a prologue character dying to start up the plot and Robb's death is a twist for a reversal. 

The story is a war breaks out and devestates the seven kingdoms and while everyone is distracted this evil force up north is coming to bring out and apocalypse and an exiled princess and secret prince unite the kingdom to save the world (I'm guessingon the last part, but it's something like that). The war is just set up. 

All seasons feel rushed, but this is the first season where I think it was needlessly rushed. D&D are rushing to end this in just 13 more episodes when HBO wants at least 20. So why the hell are they rushing to only 13?

The show has always alway been horrendus at pacing a season. S2, S3, and S5 (and a less extent S4) have not a lot happen in the first 5-6 episodes, then have crazy shit happen in the last several episodes. This season was better up front. I think this was the best first five episodes of any season. But then Ep 6-8 were sorta slow.

I would have cut out the ironborne entirely. Sorry but they added nothing. This was just to give Theon something to do. If Theon doesn't have a strong effect on the endgame, I'd give him a good death. Dying to protect Sansa would work.

I would have had Elyaria and the Sand Snakes try to kill Doran, but Hotah kills them all. Cersei has the mountain kill Trystane for revenge for Mrycella. Then at then end Doran, Varys, and QoT join cersei. Basically the same as what happened but trade Doran for Ellaria. No extra screentime.

I would trim down Arya's story. I'd start with the the mummers and just have her leave without a big fight. Then having her show up at the Twins, that worked.

I would have pushed Sams story earlier in the season when the episodes were shorter and had more space.

I would have used all that time to add more to Jon & Sansa rallying the North. I would have had the Manderlys turn up for Ramsay and switch sides. I would have had Ramsay threaten to kill GreatJon (who would be still alive) if the Umbers didn't turn over Rickon. Smallon would be an enemy but a reluctant one.

I would have added more to Bran's visions with the 3ER.

for me season 6 was way better than both season 2 and Season 5

Season 3 and 6 are equal but my favorite seasons are still 1 and 4

I think this season was helped by being more enjoyable to watch and it had more crowd pleasing moments

season 5 was darker and ended with bad things happening to almost all of the main characters. honestly it was hard for me to sit through and that is something I would have never said about season 1 -4  

Also unlike season 5 there was no major controversy or backlash this season

The closes we came to that  is maybe Dorne in episode 1 or Arya being stabbed in episode 7 but even those didn't get that kind of hate that many storylines from season 5 got

it also helps that both of those storylines ended strong this season 

P.S. check out the Rotten tomatoes audience scores for all 6 seasons

season 1 = 96 percent 4.6/5

season 2 = 96 percent 4.6/5

season 3 = 97 percent 4.7/5

season 4 = 97 percent 4.7/5    

season 5 = 89 percent 4.3/5 ( This is first season to not score a 90 with audiences )

season 6 = started at 89 percent but its score has been rising as the season went on

it currently at 92 with a 4.5 score but im not sure that will be its final score since votes are still coming in

I thought it was excellent, and a terrific comeback from Season 5. It was still choppy in places, as even with all the streamlining and merging of characters and story-arcs, there are still sometimes too many characters in too many places, each of whom needs development to move the plot forward while other characters remain in place, so we get a lot of jumping around and exposition the audience has to fill in for themselves.

Still, they did a very good job of keeping the focus, for the most part, on the principal characters the audience has become invested in, cutting out most of the rest, and driving those characters and the story forward. Daenerys, Tyrion, Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya, and Cersei all turned the corner in this season, and the arcs of secondary characters such as Davos, Melisandre, Yara, Theon, the Hound, Varys, Littlefinger, Brienne and of course Hodor moved forward (or were completed) in interesting ways as well. Jamie's development came mostly at the end of the season (Riverrun, Brienne, return to King's Landing), and it was subtle, but I think he's at least headed in the right direction. It's honestly pretty amazing what they were able to do with so many characters in ten episodes.

The direction, cinematography, score, production and acting were, in general superb. There were wonderful small moments (Melisandre reveal, Jon and Sansa reunion, Tyrion with the dragons, etc.) and spectacular set pieces. The writers can't come close to Martin in terms of characterization, dialogue and social world-building, and the medium couldn't handle it anyway, but otherwise, in my opinion, they're doing a better job of actually telling the story than he has since probably the middle of a ASOS.

13 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I actually think the show is right to end in 13-15 episodes.  They have shown, again and again and again, that they are not good at story telling, that they cannot keep their own writing and plotting straight within the context of the show.

What are they good at?  Spectacle and big moments.  So, 10+ more episodes of spectacle and big moments that close the story is exactly playing to their strengths, and quite frankly, what the audience also prefers.  More people watch the show now ever, even though it now literally contradicts itself within the span of 2 or 3 episodes.

Agree 100%.  I am salivating to get my hands on TWOW now.  6x09 and 6x10 weren't genius writing but just payoff and amazingly well done spectacle.  (Which I still love a lot.)  If only they could have combined it with all the intrigue TWOW is bound to have.  Shame...shame...shame...

2 hours ago, Greg B said:

I thought it was excellent, and a terrific comeback from Season 5. It was still choppy in places, as even with all the streamlining and merging of characters and story-arcs, there are still sometimes too many characters in too many places, each of whom needs development to move the plot forward while other characters remain in place, so we get a lot of jumping around and exposition the audience has to fill in for themselves.

Still, they did a very good job of keeping the focus, for the most part, on the principal characters the audience has become invested in, cutting out most of the rest, and driving those characters and the story forward. Daenerys, Tyrion, Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya, and Cersei all turned the corner in this season, and the arcs of secondary characters such as Davos, Melisandre, Yara, Theon, the Hound, Varys, Littlefinger, Brienne and of course Hodor moved forward (or were completed) in interesting ways as well. Jamie's development came mostly at the end of the season (Riverrun, Brienne, return to King's Landing), and it was subtle, but I think he's at least headed in the right direction. It's honestly pretty amazing what they were able to do with so many characters in ten episodes.

The direction, cinematography, score, production and acting were, in general superb. There were wonderful small moments (Melisandre reveal, Jon and Sansa reunion, Tyrion with the dragons, etc.) and spectacular set pieces. The writers can't come close to Martin in terms of characterization, dialogue and social world-building, and the medium couldn't handle it anyway, but otherwise, in my opinion, they're doing a better job of actually telling the story than he has since probably the middle of a ASOS.

Yes well said ( for me at least ) pretty much how I feel. 

Big fan of the show who hasn't read the books and I was extremely disappointed in season 6. It was very predictable and anti-climactic. The story telling was much more standard and linear than previous seasons of Game of Thrones where I could never guess what was going to happen. This season seemed like an inevitable march towards Ramsey's death and it played out exactly as expected. They telegraphed Cersei burning down the Sept and Arya showing up to kill Walder Frey also was expected. I loved the House of B & W story line, and was massively depressed with the lame Hollywood ending it received. There was so much mystery and intrigue in that story line, I just felt cheated that the ending to it was that simplistic. I just didn't nearly enjoy this season as I did all of the others :(

Season 6 was absolutely great. It is my favourite, alongside with Season 1, I personally can`t say which I like bettter. I know that some may argue that there were some plot holes, illogical decisions and strange character development, but I can agree with only the first statement. Yeah, every show has some plot gaps and I am 100 % OK witj that, which does not mean I enjoy it, if the characters are have the depth I desire and the decisions they make seem realistic from THEIR standing point of view, not mine or the other fans. That is what I tell those that say 'Sansa behaved awkward, why she didn`t tell Jon about the Vale army", well yeah, she was wrong and admitted her mistake, she apologized. Seems bad - no, it`s OK, cause she is a girl and girls who don`t possess any war knowleddge can not be expected to behave properly when at war.

If I have to follow a certain scale, I give this season a 8.5/10. I have some things up from my sleeve to bark about , but overall it was a pretty solid season of GoT, maybe my favourite thus far. What I enjoyed the most:]

1. Episode 10 - this is my favourite episode in TV history, all shows taken into account.

2. Episode 9 - it featured the battle of the baastardas which was epic and the battle of fire where we see dragons united fc destroying ships and shit, so this is the storm that is heading towards Westeros...

3. LF`s master plan reveal - as a big time fan of Petyr Baelish`s character, I reckon that his plan is awesome and the character development here is one of the best in TV history, cause this guy has been so cunning and following his ways without any mistakes so far, it is pure gold. I enjoyed how he finally told Sansa the truth about his great wish, his most pure desire - the Iron Throne, which comes to tell us that he lied to Varys about being a small man without as greater desires. LF is portrayted as a 21st century bussinessman who achieves everything on his own, starting deep from the bottom of the sea and becoming slowly the biggest shark and predator.

4. Varys`s /not the teleport skills/ allegiance reveal - yeah, we know that the Eunuch serves the realm, that`s what he told Ned Stark while the last one was rotting in the dungeons of KL, but where exactly lied his loyalty? Well, now we can see that he is friends with Illirio Mopatis and is strongly ivested into the political process that one day the historians will cal The Targaryen Restoration.

5. Danny finallly heading into The 7 Kingdoms. It was due time!

6. Arya`s arc in Bravoos coming to an end. I didn`t like it, so now she is a serial killer all on her own and I do like it. Freypie was all about splendid drama and vengeance! She is one hell of a cook. Keep it up!

7. King`s landing pace of story and ideas of plot - well in the beginning of the season it started very slowly and I was  not so happy but it picked up when Jaime was directed to the Riverlands, so than the show began.

8. Bran`s visions, story and the Tower of Joy scenes. As a big fan of Bran this season we saw a good amount of time with him. Bloodraven could have been a much evil character, not the good ol` grandpa, but yeah, Bran was nice. The actor is one of the best - without sayiong many words hi seems like a mysterious character and that is the final goal with him. The escape from the cave was so dramatic, the Hodor reveal and outcome was so intense, I felt so sorry about the giant and at the same time calm that he has played a big time role in that play. Bran`as visions were one of the best scenes in this season. We finally saw Aerys Targaryen and his murder from the hands of Jaime L!!! I`ve always been hoping to see this on TV! ToJ scenes were so cool. Lyana Stark was absolutely realistic and Ned was great.

21 hours ago, permaximum said:

He would be, as is she.

Robb was hardly THE main character after Ned's death. Dany, Jon and Tyrion have always been the main characters, they just shared it in S1 with Ned. Those 6 main characters may die, but if they do it'll be at the very end.

Archived