Borus Blount

Actually we don´t know if he was ever a decent tourney knight. Jorah might´ve just been bragging about his victory to Daenerys. She doesn´t know Ser Boros and would naturally assume he must be good if he´s a kingsguard. 

Jorah only implied that he´s good, he doesn´t actually say it. And anyway, Jorah lies all the time.

12 minutes ago, Ser Tristan Flowers said:

She doesn´t know Ser Boros and would naturally assume he must be good if he´s a kingsguard. 

Which is likely the reason why he was reinstated. 99% of the people who have heard his name know he is a Kingsguard member, named by Robert, and the presumption is that he must be a good knight. After the loss of Barristan (dismissed), Jaime (captured), Arys (sent to Dorne), Greenfield and Moore (dead), Tywin needed some legacies from Robert's time as King. Blount, as useless as he was, served that PR purpose.

As for why he was initially selected, I imagine that he was a (slightly) better knight two decades ago than he was in the current series. Not all Knights are as dedicated as Barristan and Jaime, some enjoy the many luxuries afforded to them as part of the Royal court.

Robert had to name 5 Kingsguard members in a short period. Naturally at the time the Reach, Dorne, Narrow Sea Islands and some parts of the Riverlands, Stormlands and Vale would not contribute. The North does not have many Knights. Of the remaining possibilities some of the best knights that fought for him during the war may have died in battle, or been seriously injured, already married or bumped up the succession line due to other family members having been killed.

It is not really a surprise that a man like Blount was accepted. I bet in the aftermath of the Dance of the Dragons there was some pretty weak choices selected.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I like this one the best... Also size would have a huge role to play Im not sure you can have a tolerance to poison. But if that is the plot line...... It'd be cool with me

You can. It's called mithridatism, but it only works with certain kinds of poisons, like arsenic.

Does anyone have an Idea of how old Boros is? I can't even find when he was named to the king's guard. My guess is that he was named in the later years Robert's Rebellion. This is just a guess but I think he was probably recommended by Cersi after she had some amount of influence. I can't find anything about him fighting in Balon's first rebellion. Cersi has seemed to try and buddy up with Crownland families.  

On 7/17/2016 at 2:19 PM, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Which is likely the reason why he was reinstated. 99% of the people who have heard his name know he is a Kingsguard member, named by Robert, and the presumption is that he must be a good knight. After the loss of Barristan (dismissed), Jaime (captured), Arys (sent to Dorne), Greenfield and Moore (dead), Tywin needed some legacies from Robert's time as King. Blount, as useless as he was, served that PR purpose.

As for why he was initially selected, I imagine that he was a (slightly) better knight two decades ago than he was in the current series. Not all Knights are as dedicated as Barristan and Jaime, some enjoy the many luxuries afforded to them as part of the Royal court.

Robert had to name 5 Kingsguard members in a short period. Naturally at the time the Reach, Dorne, Narrow Sea Islands and some parts of the Riverlands, Stormlands and Vale would not contribute. The North does not have many Knights. Of the remaining possibilities some of the best knights that fought for him during the war may have died in battle, or been seriously injured, already married or bumped up the succession line due to other family members having been killed.

It is not really a surprise that a man like Blount was accepted. I bet in the aftermath of the Dance of the Dragons there was some pretty weak choices selected.

I always picture him and Robert just having a good weekend of drinking and whoring at some tourney so Robert named him to the Kingsguard. Seems like something careless Robert would do during peace time

On July 17, 2016 at 2:19 PM, thelittledragonthatcould said:

But the kind of PR we usually see Tywin engage in is "mess with my family/legacy and you will die!"

Tywin had Masha Heddle killed and gibbetted outside her inn for "allowing" Cat to take Tyrion. Even though Tywin loathes Tyrion.

He seems to have plotted Aerys' death for a while--using the Defiance of Duskendale, his probably plotting with Rehear over Harrenhal, etc.

He annihilated the Reynes and Tarbecks. He backed the Red Wedding.

He did all of this to those who dared challenge him and put his family legacy and power in danger.

Boros was a sworn Kingsguard who gave up the only heir to Joffrey's throne without a fight. He was willing to give up Tywin's legacy without a fight. It seems like terrible PR to reinstate such a man. 

But we know Tywin keeps terrible men around who have proven themselves useful to him--like Lorch and the Mountain. So, seems likely that Blount is kept because he's proven himself useful that way in the past.

Reinstating him to keep legacies in place after he gave up Tommen. . . . that seems unlikely given Tywin's track record.

14 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Two factors: the King's Guard is there to protect the king, and Robert's Guard was chosen by the Lannisters, who didn't really care if Robert got killed. (Well, Cersei did: she'd have been tickled pink if that happened.) So, weak Guard, no biggie. 

Tywin reinstating him is a big deal IMO 

15 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

But the kind of PR we usually see Tywin engage in is "mess with my family/legacy and you will die!"

Tywin had Masha Heddle killed and gibbetted outside her inn for "allowing" Cat to take Tyrion. Even though Tywin loathes Tyrion.

He seems to have plotted Aerys' death for a while--using the Defiance of Duskendale, his probably plotting with Rehear over Harrenhal, etc.

He annihilated the Reynes and Tarbecks. He backed the Red Wedding.

He did all of this to those who dared challenge him and put his family legacy and power in danger.

Boros was a sworn Kingsguard who gave up the only heir to Joffrey's throne without a fight. He was willing to give up Tywin's legacy without a fight. It seems like terrible PR to reinstate such a man. 

But we know Tywin keeps terrible men around who have proven themselves useful to him--like Lorch and the Mountain. So, seems likely that Blount is kept because he's proven himself useful that way in the past.

Reinstating him to keep legacies in place after he gave up Tommen. . . . that seems unlikely given Tywin's track record.

I have to go with this. If anything that public relations (which Tywin couldn't care less about) would hurt the Lannister dynasty (especially Tywin) it's hard for me to even say Tywin would consider someone protecting his grandson just for public relations (Loras was a political move)

15 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Two factors: the King's Guard is there to protect the king, and Robert's Guard was chosen by the Lannisters, who didn't really care if Robert got killed. (Well, Cersei did: she'd have been tickled pink if that happened.) So, weak Guard, no biggie. 

Right--but the Kingsguard also guards Cersei and her children--Tywin's royal legacy. Something we know Tywin has really, really wanted since he intended to marry Cersei to Rhaegar.

So, a weak guard would still be something of a big deal.

And Boros was reinstated by Tywin after Robert's death. After giving up Joffrey's heir and Tywin's legacy.

42 minutes ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I have to go with this. If anything that public relations (which Tywin couldn't care less about) would hurt the Lannister dynasty (especially Tywin) it's hard for me to even say Tywin would consider someone protecting his grandson just for public relations (Loras was a political move)

:cheers:

Agreed. And though Loras was a political move, Loras was a very good fighter. And not a coward. 

16 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Tywin must owe the Blounts big time if he decided to reinstate treacherous Boros back into the Guard. I hope we hear from the Blounts in the future.

On the bolded, amen.

But on "owing" the Blounts--we've seen Tywin protect vicious men that he doesn't owe at all--the Mountain, Amory Lorch.

He keeps them around because they are "beasts" he can use (as he tells Tyrion). And they have proven their usefulness.

We know Boros is a beast--he likes beating Sansa. But we haven't seen what he's done to prove his usefulness. My guess is that we will learn why he was useful to Tywin eventually.

And I'm really thinking it's connected the fact that his family sigil is a Porcupine--one of the knights defeated by the Knight of the Laughing Tree. 

I think it really might have something to do with Lyanna and her disappearance and how she ended up with Rhaegar and his friends.

3 hours ago, Chancho said:

By saving Boros position, Boros owes to Tywin, not the other way around, is good to have someone on the pocket for precaution, for some dirty work.

Boros did commit treason though. Broke his vows, became a certified oathbreaker, you name it. There was actually no reason for Tywin to reinstate him into the KG. If he wanted an useless food taster slab, they could have found someone else who wouldn't give up Tommen when pushed. I'm sure there are countless boot-lickers willing to take the most miserable of jobs even at the expense of their healths just to live a courtly life. The only faint reason I see for Boros to be brought back is that he is in a position of just can't refuse any job he's given, even if it was tasting Tommen's food. I feel Boros is in a position of refuse-and-you-will-not-wake-up-tomorrow. But having the precedent of him just being unable to protect the prince by will and now by physical inability give me white noise at the back of my head about Tywin's desicion.

7 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

Right--but the Kingsguard also guards Cersei and her children--Tywin's royal legacy. Something we know Tywin has really, really wanted since he intended to marry Cersei to Rhaegar.

So, a weak guard would still be something of a big deal.

And Boros was reinstated by Tywin after Robert's death. After giving up Joffrey's heir and Tywin's legacy.

:cheers:

Agreed. And though Loras was a political move, Loras was a very good fighter. And not a coward. 

On the bolded, amen.

But on "owing" the Blounts--we've seen Tywin protect vicious men that he doesn't owe at all--the Mountain, Amory Lorch.

He keeps them around because they are "beasts" he can use (as he tells Tyrion). And they have proven their usefulness.

We know Boros is a beast--he likes beating Sansa. But we haven't seen what he's done to prove his usefulness. My guess is that we will learn why he was useful to Tywin eventually.

And I'm really thinking it's connected the fact that his family sigil is a Porcupine--one of the knights defeated by the Knight of the Laughing Tree. 

I think it really might have something to do with Lyanna and her disappearance and how she ended up with Rhaegar and his friends.

No doubt Loras is KG worthy. I actually found it extremely odd Kevan considered Lancel for the white cloak after losing most of his mas and,brains (obviously)

I suppose my explanation is he sees more (or prays for) a more Jamie like skill than Lancel in reality. In fact it's always bugs me people think he'll fight the mountain 1 on 1. Only way that would happen is if Qyburn "unleashes" UnGregor right before/during the fight 

On July 17, 2016 at 11:44 AM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I like this one the best... Also size would have a huge role to play Im not sure you can have a tolerance to poison. But if that is the plot line...... It'd be cool with me

I know you can have tolerance to snake venom, don't know if that translates to other poisons.

Archived