Robert's bastards: What will be their final fate?

Oakhearts head

I've done big write ups for a few threads recently which literally only received a few replies, so I'll just keep this short and sweet.

To the best of our knowledge, four of Robert's true born children are still alive at present in the books:

- Bella.
- Edric Storm.
- Ser Gendry.
- Mya Stone.

Do these characters still have a part to play in the story, or has any significance they had been played out? In your opinion, where will each of these four be at the end of A Dream of Spring?

Gendry might pop back up with the BWB, maybe Arya finds him. 

Edric is hanging out in Lys...he could possibly make a move but I don't see that happening. I don't see anyone supporting a Robert Baratheon bastard in the midst of a new Dance of Dragons with ice zombies coming down on the north. 

Bella and Mya will probably be left alone. I think any others that have made it this far will be fine. Maggy told Cersei her husband would have 16 children, and I don't think we know how many Cersei was able to kill. 

Gendry will eventually lead the BWB in the fight against the others

Edric Storm hmm I really don't have any logical guesses. One of the few characters I have no idea what to expect

Mya may end up marrying Luthor Brune the only way I see her dying is if she has an "accident" along with Sweetrobin or Harry the heir  

Bella will keeping ringing bells, the only way she'll be heard from again/seen again is if Jon Con burns the town down that cost him everything or bc the greyscale turns him crazy

Edric Storm - I think this guy's on his way out. Which is a shame, since he never did anything wrong. But I tend to buy the theory that Aegon is somewhat Pekin Warbeck, and Edric is also a similar red herring -- a potential heir (to House Baratheon) that drives the plot along but gets axed in the end.

Bella - living in relative obscurity, ringing bells. She seems pretty upbeat and her birth doesn't affect her life so hopes for a happy ending for her.

Mya - would also like to see a happy ending here, although I think she's in a more difficult position because she knows she's Robert's bastard and it does affect her life (unlike Bella). I don't think she'll "learn to love" anyone who's devoted to her, so much as love the man she picks for herself (she's very Baratheon in that way, all or nothing). I can see her being strong and independent for the rest of her life.

Gendry - GRRM seems to be building him up for something in Arya's plotline or elsewhere. I don't know if he'll get to the point of becoming a potential mover/shaker in Westerosi politics, but I do think it's clear that he can't remain a village blacksmith -- he's too recognizable as a Baratheon to stay undercover long. Basically he'll learn his birth and have to deal with the implications. I think Westeros will be too hot for him if Edric Storm dies, he'll be either swept up in politics somehow and become a mover & shaker, or have to leave and make an entirely new life.

22 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

There is a difference between a dynasty and a House.

Wut?

I said it's their fate as as whole. They're gone by next book.

And let's not kid ourselves. The Targaryens are blessed by god(grrm). Godly looks, somehow able to repeatedly produce elite warriors, restoration to the throne incoming, and literally the chosen ones.

The Baratheons meanwhile are just another in a list of antagonist houses(Blackfyre, Peake, Bracken, Toyne, etc) that dared to get in the way of the Targs, except they'll get punished more severely for having some mild success.

2 minutes ago, Twenty of House Goodmen said:

And let's not kid ourselves. The Targaryens are blessed by god(grrm). Godly looks, somehow able to repeatedly produce elite warriors, restoration to the throne incoming, and literally the chosen ones.

The Baratheons meanwhile are just another in a list of antagonist houses(Blackfyre, Peake, Bracken, Toyne, etc) that dared to get in the way of the Targs, except they'll get punished more severely for having some mild success.

Maybe. Or King Jon Targaryen could marry a legitimised Mya Baratheon. B)

17 minutes ago, Twenty of House Goodmen said:

Not true. Steffon's descendants may die and his line be ended but they are not the whole family. There are cousins who can continue the House.

Utter bs. The Targ family is full of crazy montsers who enjoy to torture and kill.

You do understand that they are not the only family which opposed the Targs right?

13 minutes ago, Oakhearts head said:

Maybe. Or King Jon Targaryen could marry a legitimised Mya Baratheon. B)

No, Jon has Val.

Just now, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Will Jon have her? 

:P I know! For that matter, will any of these people fall in love with each other? 

The only one I can peg is Gendry apparently having feelings for Arya. And well even that might never work out. Robert all over again.

Will Jon have her?

If a Targaryen is sitting on the Iron Throne while legitimate Baratheon's are sitting at Storms End, wouldn't the safest option with the least bloodshed (or cooked Baratheon loyalists) be to marry Targaryen and Baratheon together? 

Jon seems like the kind of guy who would marry for duty if it was the right thing to do.

8 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Not true. Steffon's descedants may die and his line be ended but they are not the whole family. There are cousins who can continue the House.

The Targs won't allow theiron greatest enemy to continue. It will be a new house, with some Baratheon somewhere in their lineage.

Utter bs. The Targ family is full of crazy montsers who enjoy to torture and kill.

They also have many great members. The Baratheons, and the Storm Kings before them, have consistently been belligerent warmongers. Even the current Baratheons outside of Shireen are all villains.

You do understand that they are not the only family which opposed the Targs right?

The difference between them and the Starks is that the Baratheons have always been a problem for the Targaryens. They sided with the greens in dance. Lyonel tried to succeed from the Iron Throne. Worst of all, Robert slew the good prince Rhaegar and deposed the Targaryens. Their time has come.

No, Jon has Val.

8 minutes ago, Twenty of House Goodmen said:

The Targs won't allow theiron greatest enemy to continue. It will be a new house, with some Baratheon somewhere in their lineage.

Who are the Targs who will do it? Again, no matter if Steffon's line be extinct the House is more than that.

They also have many great members. The Baratheons, and the Storm Kings before them, have consistently been belligerent warmongers. Even the current Baratheons outside of Shireen are all villains.

Utter bs. 

The difference between them and the Starks is that the Baratheons have always been a problem for the Targaryens. They sided with the greens in dance. Lyonel tried to succeed from the Iron Throne. Worst of all, Robert slew the good prince Rhaegar and deposed the Targaryens. Their time has come.

The Greens were Targs, Egg understood that Lyonel was right and that is why he gave him his daughter and Robert killed Rhaegar in a battle. The Baratheons were the Targs most reliable ally untit the Targs broke this alliance.

3 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Who are the Targs who will do it? Again, no matter if Steffon's line be extinct the House is more than that.

Dany or Jon.

Utter bs. 

Durrandons- Most warlike of the original kings

Orys- Possible rapist and a sadist

Boremund- Belligerent

Borros- Belligerent idiot

Lyonel- Idiot who threw a tantrum

Robert- Rapist, abusive husband, child murderer 

Stannis- Zealous tyrannical kinslayer 

Renly- Power hungry opportunist

The Greens were Targs, Egg understood that Lyonel was right and that is why he gave him his daughter and Robert killed Rhaegar in a battle.

They chose the wrong Targs and that's what matters. No Lyonel was not right, he reacted extremely. Robert was the villain of the battle, and one of the main villains of the war.

I think the only one who will be truly significant is Gendry as he will be a part of the BWB who will serve a purpose. We will probably see a lot of Mya in the Alayne chapters but I don't think she will play that important of a role.  Doubt will see Bella again. Edric to me is the biggest question mark. He could serve a purpose and be important especially since Robert acknowledged him unlike the other bastards on this list and he is "high born bastard" but I could see GRRM just leaving his fate to the imagination.

Edric Storm - Edric will likely either do nothing or be the most important of the bunch.  He is the only acknowledged bastard and is in hiding ("shrink-wrapped", it might be said) overseas.  Right now the Baratheons are down to stannis, Shireen, bastards, and bunch of distant cousins, and i don't think Stannis or Shireen is going to make it.  If you are a StormLord, who would you rather have? - an acknowledged bastard raised in Renly's household and educated by his maester, or some third cousin you've never even heard of?  I predict Edric will be Lord of Storm's End at the end.

Gendry - Will probably meet with Arya again, and will probably have something to do with the BwB.  He not only knows nothing about his parentage, nobody else does either, so I doubt it will play an actual role in the story, except as an Easter egg for the readers.

Mya Stone - Pretty much same as Gendry.  Although her parentage is known by others, I don't think she herself is aware of it.  In any case, I doubt it will have an effect on her story.  i think she will befriend and help Sansa, but more i can't say.

Bella - We will not see her again.

Edric will be pushed by the Hightowers and the Faith to the throne and will be king in the end... Gendry will die fighting the others because he's azor ahai, born (in the forge) amidst salt (sweat) and smoke, the smith who will make a sword and fight the NK...

Yeah, crackpot galore... I BELIEVE

Archived