forum policy?

Dorian Martell

14 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

It really isn't that, rules are clear, you can't insult or threaten people, and that is what majority of infractions are, it's not permanently offended PC culture or whatever, calling someone stupid because you don't agree with him was considered ill-mannered for centuries, since on the internet it's hard to sue for libel or bash offenders face in (or both) you can at least expect mods to sanction that kind of behavior.

But we're not talking about libel, especially since all of us here are using pseudonyms; and punching someone who insulted you is even more ill-mannered, especially if the insult was as mild as calling someone "stupid".

Note that I'm not advocating rudeness - I just don't think it's a problem, especially online. I've never called in the fuzz because someone was mean to me on the internet, and I don't think it ruins the experience if people on these forums are hot-tempered, condescending, or throwing around zingers. What does ruin the experience is heavy-handed moderators. My $0.02.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, if anybody else knows or thinks that mentioning reddit upsets the moderators - or if you know that it doesn't - please let me know. I just want to make sense of someone's "r-word" reference upthread.

Edit: @mormont: clarification?

1 hour ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

But we're not talking about libel, especially since all of us here are using pseudonyms; and punching someone who insulted you is even more ill-mannered, especially if the insult was as mild as calling someone "stupid".

Note that I'm not advocating rudeness - I just don't think it's a problem, especially online. I've never called in the fuzz because someone was mean to me on the internet, and I don't think it ruins the experience if people on these forums are hot-tempered, condescending, or throwing around zingers. What does ruin the experience is heavy-handed moderators. My $0.02.

Valid point and good explanation of where you stand. 

I dislike tendency of people to insult on the internet to the extreme, impotent people trying to transfer the feeling to others. It is annoyance, I can take it but I prefer not to, it creates toxic atmosphere, stifles intelligent discussion. 

With all due respect I think your stance of it's not a problem, lets not make a fuss, normalizes the behavior, I am of mind that no infraction is minor enough not to deserve fitting punishment.

Forum policy of preventive thread locks should end and individual users should be warned or something, warning is minor enough not to cause fuss even if mod is wrong and anyone can turn to admins if mod is wrong.

Do mods make mistakes, yes, was I myself slighted, yes, but saying the mods here are heavy-handed is wrong, they frequently tolerate minor infractions, and even some bigger ones, you can't offend anyone and yet show creators are called Dumb&Dumber (I agree with the sentiment although I would never phrase it that way) and no one was banned for it, talking about leniency.

As I said there are mistakes, but mods aren't all too strict all the time, all of them most of the time and most of them all the time are pretty lenient and spot on with their work. 

22 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

As I said there are mistakes, but mods aren't all too strict all the time, all of them most of the time and most of them all the time are pretty lenient and spot on with their work. 

You sound like a poor sap from the Communist bloc talking about the nomenklatura

A year or so ago I allowed myself to be baited into an argument. I spent 3 days in timeout. The other people involved continued upon their merry way. The thread was cleaned up but not locked. How do I know that? I could read the boards but could not post.

You and I would probably get along well in f2f conversation.  I would suggest however not to antagonize the moderators and keep an eye out for the slippery slopes.

12 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

You sound like a poor sap from the Communist bloc talking about the nomenklatura

Resigned or...?

That comparison is ridiculous (insensitive, offensive, I can take it bro, but not OK, my parents lived in communist country, grandfather was denied position because he was Christian), mods have no real power over you man, worst thing is perma ban on account (single account, not you) and you really need to be inhumanly offensive to earn that, and even then you can back and forth with Ran and/or Linda to resolve the dispute, also you are free to leave the forum at any time.

I mean you are forthcoming enough to let direct offense slide, but not let mods make few mistakes? You can always talk to them or admins about it. I criticize moderation here all the time, but I am realistic about it, it is you who is making a fuss.

3 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

<snip>

Relax, papa, I was just tweaking your nose

20 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

A year or so ago I allowed myself to be baited into an argument. I spent 3 days in timeout. The other people involved continued upon their merry way. The thread was cleaned up but not locked. How do I know that? I could read the boards but could not post.

You and I would probably get along well in f2f conversation.  I would suggest however not to antagonize the moderators and keep an eye out for the slippery slopes.

Thanks for the advice

Relax, papa, I was just tweaking your nose

I suspected that could have been the case, I even thought to include a line about textual forum not being the best conduit for humor, as nonverbal cues are missing but I forgot in the heat of the moment.

It's OK either way.

3 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I don't think that this will end well so a word of advice; it's better to sent a message to a mod instead of starting a thread like this one.

Mods have never responded to any of my private messages. And it is a moot point as the mods do not sign off on their locks 

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell said:

Mods have never responded to any of my private messages. And it is a moot point as the mods do not sign off on their locks 

Well the Preston thread was locked by @mormont, so if you want to send a PM, then send it there.

Of course, it shouldn't be necessary because the @mormont thing alerts him to this thread. At least I think that's the idea.

Edit: Mormont if you're reading this, OP wants an answer to his initial question, as do several others

4 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

I'd rather people simply inured themselves to the rough-and-tumble of an adult conversation, but I realise that's asking too much of most people here.

Inorite? 

3 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, if anybody else knows or thinks that mentioning reddit upsets the moderators - or if you know that it doesn't - please let me know. I just want to make sense of someone's "r-word" reference upthread.

Edit: @mormont: clarification?

People call the fuzz when they feel offended. It can a drawback of a forum that caters to the most sensitive folks. That is why there is so much off the wall crackpot that can't be reasonably argued against. my $0.02

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

The slopes are not always easy to see. I had a bad internet connection a while back, I tried to reaspond to someone that was very obviously T-rolling. when mt reply calling them out on that did not post, I waited until my internet came back and made the reply. In those several hours, a mod posted that use of the "T" word was a no-no. My reply got me banned for a few days
Later, after responding to each R+L=J thread with a "Hodor" for two years, a mod took that as me attempting to crash the forum as part of a cabal. I was locked out for a week and a half. there was no warning  message, just a lockout.   

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell said:

Later, after responding to each R+L=J thread with a "Hodor" for two years, a mod took that as me attempting to crash the forum as part of a cabal. I was locked out for a week and a half. there was no warning  message, just a lockout.

Lol! - the old "respond to every R+L=J thread with a 'Hodor' for two years" conspiracy, eh? And I bet you thought you'd get away with it, too!

I know there's, like, factions inside this fandom that don't get along - but are there really cabals intent on sabotage? Some people are taking things far too seriously.

22 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

I know there's, like, factions inside this fandom that don't get along - but are there really cabals intent on sabotage? Some people are taking things far too seriously.

Thank you and Dorian for giving me a laugh. Now 1 2  3  lock down.

"Someone told," Hotah had said.

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

They are organized and flock to the forums to seed it with ban-bait threads. Anything to clear the way for them to talk about weird things like shipping because reasons. I have learned to stay away (sometimes) unless I want to be modded for something... again.

And, that has made me shift from posting often, to just reading the forum.

No way. That just blows my mind.

Where can I see this stuff in action? Or do the threads get deleted?

(Also: how does baiting the mods "clear the way" for them to talk about anything? How is the way not clear already?)

27 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

No way. That just blows my mind.

Where can I see this stuff in action? Or do the threads get deleted?

(Also: how does baiting the mods "clear the way" for them to talk about anything? How is the way not clear already?)

lol now you see how thangs work? Follow the edits. :D

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

They are organized and flock to the forums to seed it with ban-bait threads. Anything to clear the way for them to talk about weird things like shipping because reasons. I have learned to stay away (sometimes) unless I want to be modded for something... again.

And, that has made me shift from posting often, to just reading the forum.

Weeeeeeel, if I look at your quote of Leech and I look at the edited Leech quote

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Just follow the rules ;)

Backtrack and you will find that Leech said nothing that you quoted.

1 minute ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Weeeeeeel, if I look at your quote of Leech and I look at the edited Leech quote

Backtrack and you will find that Leech said nothing that you quoted.

I AM INNOCENT! :commie:

I did not take a bite of the chocolate candy to only hate it and put it back in the box!

Archived