Tyrion is a hypocrite ?

shardofNarsil

3 hours ago, Makk said:

I'm not sure Penny does love him deeply. Even if she did, that doesn't oblige him to return that love.

I think he didn't force himself on Sansa largely because he was hoping that with time he could convince her to love him.

IMO, it has more to do with Tyrion realising that Sansa has no motivation to pretend she likes him. Tyrion wants to be loved and he just realised his wife finds him disgusting. Not only that "kills the mood" but definitely hits you straight in the self-esteem.

Whenever Tyrion pays the least attention to Penny, "You like my nose?" it's just plain obvious.  But Tyrion will never return her love because he is a hypocrite.  She's not a great beauty, she's not noble, she's like him and therefore Tyrion doesn't like her.  Tyrion is a phony and a fool, he thinks that Shae and other women that he pays love him (Tywin is right in being puzzled by Tyrion's relationships).  He lusts after Sansa he just can't figure out how to relate to her without giving her cash.

Tyrion also had no problem allowing the rumor about Patchface being Shireen real father(even Pycelle(a known yesman) didn't want the Small Council to use Shireen in a plot against Stannis), This  was before his arc became dark. Tyrion based  who he have a softspot for help on their looks.

32 minutes ago, Batbob45 said:

Tyrion based  who he have a softspot for help on their looks.

Well, he does help Penny, but rejects her advances because she's a dwarf (and hey, she actually does have a nose), even if he tries to be kind about it. I guess this side of him made me to feel a bit not sorry when Sansa firmly swiped left on him on their wedding night.

But he's obviously not meant to be a saint overall (that's what his fans often don't get about him). We can start with, I don't know, siding with Joffrey's side even though he knows his origins and characters? Making a man to be made into a stew, because he didn't want to send away his whore?

On 5/1/2017 at 1:01 PM, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Pre-ASOIAF Tyrion seems to be quite neutral about prostitutes, even a bit understanding of them. Could it be because he saw Tysha in all of them? Maybe. At the end of Storm, this changes. As Tysha is not longer that whore that was used to trick him but a victim of Tywin, the image he had of whores also changed. He likely stopped seeing Tysha in them, and they become something that he hated, even about himself. His longing for prostitutes was something that wouldn't have happened had he kept Tysha as a wife. As this didn't happen, he turned into a man who paid for women, something that Tywin (hypocritically) hated.

If he, somehow, used to see Tysha in them (prostitutes), he doesn't do it anymore. He doesn't care about them at all anymore. He's showing them the "real Tyrion". As bad as it seems for the readers, he's giving his first steps away from Tywin's influence, and he needs to learn to accept himself, something he never needed to do...

Now, when he's gone to find information with Half-maester, he's given money BY GRIFF. During his time in the Shy Maid, Griff plays the role of being Tyrion's father (as he and the narrative often compare him with Tywin). So, he's repeating the pattern: he's whoring with his father's money because he can't find other ways to find love. His actions against that poor girl show us that he hates himself and hates not being liked women in the way he expected now he's a poor sap. Yet, the narrative punishes him as he gets lost once he disobeys his "father" Griff. It's after going to his old ways that he gets captured by Jorah.

I am mentally applauding you with a standing ovation because that was brilliant!  

ADWD is my favorite book in ASOIAF.  The way we watch Tyrion go from being barely functional--the poor drunk even pisses himself right before being stuffed upside down into a cramped barrel. I mean, can we say "drip"?--to reclaiming his (unofficially official) title of Cleverest Man in the World by the time he strikes a deal with Brown Ben Plumm.  Plus he gets that classic Tyrion great big ol' heart of gold back.  

(Sorry if I got any details wrong.  I'm going by memory.). 

On 5.5.2017 at 0:18 AM, Tianzi said:

We can start with, I don't know, siding with Joffrey's side even though he knows his origins and characters?

No, I don't hold it against him at all that he is siding with his family. I don't think it's a reasonable standpoint at all. Who else would even have him? His family also includes 100% of all people who love him - Jaime. What would you have him do, seriously? And Joffreys origins? Tyrion is suppossed to care that Joff is not Robert's son, but full Lannister? Why?

Making a man to be made into a stew, because he didn't want to send away his whore?

Yes, that was beyond vile. I really don't think I can ever like Tyrion again after first this and then the DwD rapiness. We will see.

15 minutes ago, ftheking said:

No, I don't hold it against him at all that he is siding with his family. I don't think it's a reasonable standpoint at all. Who else would even have him? His family also includes 100% of all people who love him - Jaime. What would you have him do, seriously? And Joffreys origins? Tyrion is suppossed to care that Joff is not Robert's son, but full Lannister? Why?

It's true that nobody else would have him and it's his logical option. However he's willingly commiting treason (and doesn't seem to have any moral doubts about that), and if we give other characters flake about that, Tyrion should be on the list too.

Archived