US Politics: Mueller....Mueller....Mueller...

Kalbear

Exuberant singing of the national anthem would play well with a large part of the American base, both left and right, even on Memorial Day.  So that's probably the least objectionable thing Trump has done in years.

Now that keyboards have had a chance to cool, Scott can you agree that the Right has drifted past the point of reconciliation? That they will rig the system (worse than it already is) in a moments notice to never lose power, and further compromise in the form of appeasements are not the answer?

And ME, the current Republican party represents a direct attack on not only me personally (which I could ignore), but the very pillars of our Republic. I cannot forgive that, and anyone who enables them is my enemy. I do not think that every Trump voter is a monster, or that they're all delighting in current events. But their hive-mind mentality blinds them to seeing reason.

4 hours ago, Toth said:

Snip

If the Democratic party can get its shit together and put together a program of hope and optimism to put against the Republican's nihilism.

They did that, in 2008. 8 years later...Trump. The problem with campaigning on hope and optimism is it leads to disillusionment when they fail to deliver. And the system as it is, is sets up those promises for failure. Are people going to swallow another line of hope and optimism so soon after the last progressive person to promise it largely left people wanting? 

40 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Now that keyboards have had a chance to cool, Scott can you agree that the Right has drifted past the point of reconciliation? That they will rig the system (worse than it already is) in a moments notice to never lose power, and further compromise in the form of appeasements are not the answer?

And ME, the current Republican party represents a direct attack on not only me personally (which I could ignore), but the very pillars of our Republic. I cannot forgive that, and anyone who enables them is my enemy. I do not think that every Trump voter is a monster, or that they're all delighting in current events. But their hive-mind mentality blinds them to seeing reason.

What do you mean and what do propose to do if "the right is past the point of reconciliation"?

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What do you mean and what do propose to if "the right is past the point of reconciliation"?

Taking the gloves off, so to speak. No more playing nice. No more false equivalencies. No more pretending that if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a goose then it isn't a Nazi.

Every step down this road each outrage by the right has been excused with calls of 'try to see it from their perspective!' and 'you're being judgemental!' and 'well, asking not to hear hate speech at work makes them uncomfortable!' Liberals keep backing down, and the 'conservative' keeps upping the ante.

I'm not calling for the formation of a guerilla terrorist organization, Scot. I'm calling for an end to progressives being held to the standards of a pre-tea party political atmosphere while the opposition is goose stepping us all straight into a post-Weimar Autocracy.

3 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Taking the gloves off, so to speak. No more playing nice. No more false equivalencies. No more pretending that if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a goose then it isn't a Nazi.

Every step down this road each outrage by the right has been excused with calls of 'try to see it from their perspective!' and 'you're being judgemental!' and 'well, asking not to hear hate speech at work makes them uncomfortable!' Liberals keep backing down, and the 'conservative' keeps upping the ante.

I'm not calling for the formation of a guerilla terrorist organization, Scot. I'm calling for an end to progressives being held to the standards of a pre-tea party political atmosphere while the opposition is goose stepping us all straight into a post-Weimar Autocracy.

I've never advocated backing down.  But consider whether getting more aggressive will accomplish your goals

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I've never advocated backing down.  But consider whether getting more aggressive will accomplish your goals

I've considered that the current course has been an abject disaster. Do you disagree?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What do you mean and what do propose to do if "the right is past the point of reconciliation"?

I think whether you're right of center, centrist, left of center, or far left, most can agree that modern American conservatism has become one sick puppy. It's propensity for conspiracy mongering and ignoring evidence are obvious issues, and then it literally has no ability to solve any of our problems, like race and gender problems or economic problems. The only thing it knows how to do is pass a tax cut. And that is about it. 

When it comes to modern conservatism as it's become in the US we ought to hound it to the ends of the Earth, until it fundamentally changes in some manner.

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

MC,

When is violence that is not in response to direct violence proper?  Jacobs had every right to respond to Gianforte's violence with violence because that would be self-defense.  Why is limiting violence to self-defense problematic?

I specifically said I wasn't interested, or having the time for, a conversation about the general use of violence, Scot.  In fact, my entire point was literally that that discussion was immaterial to the topic at hand, which was about a would-be Congressman assaulting an investigative reporter appropriately performing his duty.  

e:  This 20page rule is just silly now that we're not in the 90s anymore.   

7 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

I specifically said I wasn't interested, or having the time for, a conversation about the general use of violence, Scot.  In fact, my entire point was literally that that discussion was immaterial to the topic at hand, which was about a would-be Congressman assaulting an investigative reporter appropriately performing his duty.  

e:  This 20page rule is just silly now that we're not in the 90s anymore.   

Okay.

Archived