So now we know how the Wight Walker war ends

Euron's Mom

5 minutes ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

So who is carrying out that suicide mission ? My bet is on the killer in the family.

It'll be Jon of course, because he's the manly, brooding hero man, and he's the only one who knows how to fight them, or something like that. He will die in the process, so that Dany can mourn for him, and we can have everybody go on and on about what a great hero he it.

17 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

How would you have the ending then?????

More realistic. In no war in history has it ever been a case of kill the general/leader and the rest of the army explodes or just stops attacking. Its absurd.

Having the general/leader be the absolute last to die is also incredibly unlikely in a real war, but I can understand why most movies do it that way for purposes of suspense and gettinng to a climax.

But having the whole White Walker and Wight army explode or just disappear/stop fighting when Night King dies is beyond stupid.

4 minutes ago, Iotun said:

It'll be Jon of course, because he's the manly, brooding hero man, and he's the only one who knows how to fight them, or something like that. He will die in the process, so that Dany can mourn for him, and we can have everybody go on and on about what a great hero he it.

you're joking

2 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

More realistic. In no war in history has it ever been a case of kill the general/leader and the rest of the army explodes or just stops attacking. Its absurd.

Having the general/leader be the absolute last to die is also incredibly unlikely in a real war, but I can understand why most movies do it that way for purposes of suspense and gettinng to a climax.

But having the whole White Walker and Wight army explode or just disappear/stop fighting when Night King dies is beyond stupid.

Realisticly you're right. But this is the GOT show. And not even the books will have a reaiistic ending.

5 minutes ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

you're joking

No I'm not. Given what we know of how the story has been written so far, Jon is the most obvious choice for the show-runners to be the one to kill the Night King, and once he does that, the Night King's army will all fall down, because there's no other reason why this would have been established in the episode today. Jon being the secret Targeryen, which is the final secret not to be revealed, and his story so far, seems to point that he is fated to be the one to defeat the NK, (and likely die in the process).

It would make sense that Jon dies whilst defeating NK, but he must have already impregnated Daenerys. She will give birth (to twins, boy and a girl probably) and only after Jon's death will they find out Jon's parentage, and this makes the kids true heirs of the throne after Daenerys.

I imaging the human forces (minus Cersei and some of the worst evils, who will have to die on the way) fighting at Winterfell with their dragonglass shards. Dragons are all dead by then. When the humans seem to lose, Bran will direct Arya (+Nymeria ?) into the back of the Night King. She'll kill him and will die herself. By then everybody hates her anyway, because of something horrible she does before.

17 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

It would make sense that Jon dies whilst defeating NK, but he must have already impregnated Daenerys. She will give birth (to twins, boy and a girl probably) and only after Jon's death will they find out Jon's parentage, and this makes the kids true heirs of the throne after Daenerys.

I also bet that Jon survives and marries Dany. There has to be a sweet part of the ending. It could also be that Arya safes Jon in the very last second after she hated him before because of Dany.

8 minutes ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

I also bet that Jon survives and marries Dany. There has to be a sweet part of the ending. It could also be that Arya safes Jon in the very last second after she hated him before because of Dany.

Then Arya is posthumously knighted.

21 hours ago, Euron's Mom said:

I think Beric pretty much gave it away:

At some point, someone will kill the Night King and then the entire White Walker & Wight army will instantly drop dead for good.

I feel that I will be very disappointed when this happens.  It will be very quick, clean, and complete.  I understand that movies and tv shows do this sort of thing so that there can be a high tension climactic scene with very little loose ends afterwards.  Considering how common of a trope that it is I would have thought Game of Thrones would go a different route.

With the plot decline in the last sessions in mind I think, that this is exactly the route the showrunners are taking. And it is hard to admit for a book reader but from their perspective its probably the right route. They built up this great evil super-villain called Night King over 7 sessions and the normal watcher, who hasn't read the books and who doesn't know Martin's way of writing not the obvious, well known plot everyone has seen a thousand times, will probably expect exactly this: A final battle good vs evil, men vs White Walkers where the hero (Jon or Dany) finally kills the Night King and brings peace to the world. There will probably be one or two dead main characters (and one or two twists) on the way, but in the end, the normal watcher will get his expected end.

I do think that the NK will be defeated before Cercei to subvert the trope of the final battle. I have a suspicion that the Night King will be defeated resulting Jon's death, and in the finale Cercei will still blow up King's Landing rather than submit to Dany, fulfilling the vision that Dany had of being in a destroyed Throne Room with snow falling all around her in the House of the Undying.

21 minutes ago, Haskelltier said:

Maybe, but since the vision in the House of the Undying is so long ago, I wouldn't be surprised if the showrunner forgot it.

They are able to forget things they had established two episodes back, so forgetting something form Season 2 is to be expected.

3 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

Quite the opposite: that has been the case in many, many mediavel wars. Back in the time when the Kings or want-to-be-Kings still attended the battle field. Take Hastings (1066) for one example: Harald II dead -> war over. Richard III would be an other example. Before it was nation vs nation everything depended on the persons going to war. If one side was to lose their leader the war could be over in a second. I could dig up other examples like in the Roman civil wars. If there were two emporer pretenders and one was killed the war was over. Sometimes an assessin would do the trick without battle.

17 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

Night King is different than the common WW, I doubt you can kill him with a mere Valeryian steel.

It doesn't matter what trick you have to pull exactly. The question is, do we get a LOTR ending where all enimies fall with a stroke to their leader. Whatever this stroke looks like. I would say yes and it will be done by Arya in a sort of combination with her siblings and Dany. And the dead won't go past Winterfell.

Killing a White Walker kills all the whights he is controlling. That is not just a way out for the show runners to ease the story with the others, but rather the only logical conclusion based on the magic that makes the whights work. The whights are just reanimated corpses of flesh, who are fully controlled by the Walkers via their magic, just like marionetes. It must be their equivalent of warging. Since the whights are just corpses, when the walker dies, the magic stops and the whight becomes a moveless corpse again. Plain simple and the only sufficent conclusion. If we continue this thought and think about the NK, he was the first Other (In the show). Also he is the leader. We can assume that he controlls all the other WW, hence he is the leader, since another hierarchy building mechanism (like for instance among humans) seem among the others highly unlikely. Remember, GRRM once said that the Others have no such thing as culture. So it seems logically inevitable that the other WW are controlled by the NK similar to the way the WW controll the Whights. And if you kill the NK, you kill the WW he has created and the Whights that the WW have created. Actually a very logical and satisfactory way to conclude the storyline regarding the White Walkers. 

Archived