U.S. Politics 2017: You Flynn Some, You Lose Some

Martell Spy

Well the US Chamber of Commerce is peddling tax cuts will pay for themselves nonsense.

https://www.uschamber.com/above-the-fold/fiscal-trigger-impractical-unreasonable-and-unnecessary

Recently some Senators have raised concerns about the deficit impact of the pending tax reform bill. Even though the weight of expert opinion strongly suggests the revenue gains from additional growth should erase federal deficit concerns while providing a tidy fiscal windfall to state and local government coffers, some are now suggesting a fiscal trigger in the event the projected revenue gains fail to materialize. While one can appreciate the intentions, the fact remains a fiscal trigger is a terrible idea.

If the US Chamber of commerce ever had any sort of credible reputation, its now officially not worth a crap. What fuckin "weight of expert opinion"?

On 11/28/2017 at 3:45 PM, Mexal said:

What if I become a millionaire real estate mogul? 

I’m wondering what would happen if I didn’t become a real estate mogul but just played one on TV and then made most of my money by just licensing out my name, while mainly sitting on my ass while bleating out nonsense, to people that made cheap vodka and very bad toupees.

How would I be affected?

19 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I’m wondering what would happen if I didn’t become a real estate mogul but just played one on TV and then made most of my money by just licensing out my name, while mainly sitting on my ass while bleating out nonsense, to people that made cheap vodka and very bad toupees.

How would I be affected?

It might be faster to ask the Kremlin that, I'm sure they have it clearly planned out.

To speed up the process, can you please release your tax returns?

27 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

How would I be affected?

Actually, you might be caught by the flush language of the exclusions that catch lawyers and doctors:  'any trade or business where the principal asset of such trade or business is the reputation or skill of one or more of its employees.'  But probably not.

4 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Wait, if they pass this tax bill is it going to apply to my taxes from this year? I don't want my first time getting fucked in the ass to come from Mitch Goddamn McConnell!!!!!

It is. Sorry, you're getting buggered by yertle the turtle. 

23 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Actually, you might be caught by the flush language of the exclusions that catch lawyers and doctors:  'any trade or business where the principal asset of such trade or business is the reputation or skill of one or more of its employees.'  But probably not.

I'd just file an affidavit swearing that I've bought hotels for Board Walk, Park Place, and Atlantic Avenue as proof that I'm the best real estate investor ever.

7 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

It's like a teaser trailer for the coming decade.

Not really.  Having an agency head, who's agency is already under fire for having far more power than is proper for an Independant agency, much less one that is headed by a single individual instead of a board (as most independent agency's are lead), appoint their own successor was never going to fly.  

I can't stand the Trump Administration but the CFPB is a strangely structured agency and the DC Circuit Court held that before Trump's election.  I'd be surprised if an Obama appointed Judge upheld Dir. Courdray being allowed to pick his own successor. 

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I'd just file an affidavit swearing that I've bought hotels for Board Walk, Park Place, and Atlantic Avenue as proof that I'm the best real estate investor ever.

Were you also convicted of racial discrimination against tenants in your hotels? If not, you'll never be President.

23 hours ago, Yukle said:

To speed up the process, can you please release your tax returns?

I will just as soon as I can take some time off from making America great again. But, you know, that's kind of keeping me busy. Well that and golfing.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Not really.  Having an agency head, who's agency is already under fire for having far more power than is proper for an Independant agency, much less one that is headed by a single individual instead of a board (as most independent agency's are lead), appoint their own successor was never going to fly.  

They appoint their own ACTING successor, and this is written into the guidelines of the system. The actual successor would be appointed as all heads of agencies are - via POTUS ,and confirmed via senate. This bypasses that entire system. 

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I can't stand the Trump Administration but the CFPB is a strangely structured agency and the DC Circuit Court held that before Trump's election.  I'd be surprised if an Obama appointed Judge upheld Dir. Courdray being allowed to pick his own successor. 

You might consider not talking about things you don't actually understand.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

They appoint their own ACTING successor, and this is written into the guidelines of the system. The actual successor would be appointed as all heads of agencies are - via POTUS ,and confirmed via senate. This bypasses that entire system. 

Republicans have become masters of bypassing convention and instead only acting with the strict letters of laws. They're excellent when it comes to finding loopholes, and if they simply never appoint a candidate who requires Senate Confirmation, leave the position vacant and have a stream of utterly intolerable "acting" heads... would that, to the letter of the law, be illegal?

And if not, it's one of many new ways they've found to circumvent their takeover of the USA. I like to keep reinforcing that their near coast-to-coast domination of USA state and federal politics is not built on voting majorities. It's build on trickery, from voter suppression, to gerrymandering, to court-rigging, to blocking all Democratic lawmakers or (like in North Carolina) voting away executive power when they lose it, so that in the event they manage to slip up a governor's mansion, that position becomes toothless anyway.

In the upcoming midterms there are even ballot measures that have already passed! - that will be running again in some states, including Medicaid expansions. The Republican governors just overrode the last votes and ignored their states' wills, choosing not to apply or recognise the laws.

20 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Wait, if they pass this tax bill is it going to apply to my taxes from this year? I don't want my first time getting fucked in the ass to come from Mitch Goddamn McConnell!!!!!

On the plus side, you might be able to keep your chocolate bra? 

13 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I will just as soon as I can take some time off from making America great again. But, you know, that's kind of keeping me busy. Well that and golfing.

If you had only been nice to the NFL owners in the 80s then they would have let you buy the BIlls in 2014 and you would have never had to run for president. 

2 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Republicans have become masters of bypassing convention and instead only acting with the strict letters of laws. They're excellent when it comes to finding loopholes, and if they simply never appoint a candidate who requires Senate Confirmation, leave the position vacant and have a stream of utterly intolerable "acting" heads... would that, to the letter of the law, be illegal?

Nope. My understanding is that they can appoint an acting head that can act for the length of the term - which in this case is 5 years. This acting head would both not require senate confirmation AND would not be subject to ethical guidelines. 

2 minutes ago, Yukle said:

In the upcoming midterms there are even ballot measures that have already passed! - that will be running again in some states, including Medicaid expansions. The Republican governors just overrode the last votes and ignored their states' wills, choosing not to apply or recognise the laws.

This is also the case in the executive branch, where despite congress passing overwhelmingly a statement that Russia sanctions should be implemented by a certain point, they have not been by the executive branch. They were simply ignored.

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You might consider not talking about things you don't actually understand.

The General Council for the CFPB diagrees, formally, with Director Courdray’s action:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/26/consumer-bureau-trump-english-cordray-260062

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000015f-fbe7-d90d-a37f-fff74f280000

Archived