winter will not come in 2018

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm even wavering now that it will ever come out...I thought that comment by GRRM about how other authors had failed to finish their last works was pretty indicative of where things stand.  

grrm

Understood, Mel… but here’s the thing. You call LOTR “the main story,” but if you had asked Tolkien, he would have said the SIMARILLION was his main story, his life’s work. Yet he was never able to complete it during his lifetime. Not because he did not care, however.

(Tolkien was an Oxford don, and may actually have considered his teaching to be his life’s work, rather than his writing).

Just for the sake of argument, let me point out that many many people invest their time into works without endings. F. Scott Fitzgerald never finished THE LAST TYCOON, Charles Dickens never finished EDWIN DROOD, Mervyn Peake never finished TITUS ALONE, yet those works are still read.

I do intend to finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, of course… but doubtless Peake, Dickens, Fitzgerald, and Tolkien would have said the same.

18 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And I was wrong, the 1,000 Worlds novels are a series. Funny, I never really thought of it that way but I only read a few, ages ago. 

Funny enough, even though 1,000 Worlds is a series, and we await Avalon, this also makes me not worry toooo toooo much about ASOAIF as he has worked all of this out before. GRRM knows where his story is going- he and he alone. I’d rather keep some faith than the alternative. 

*yes, he has a chunk of Avalon written, but says we won’t get it because it seems dated now because of that technology and junk.

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Funny enough, even though 1,000 Worlds is a series

Again, it isn't.

Folks, this is a discussion we would usually have on the relevant forum, ie TWOW. There are threads discussing it there.

Archived