At what age did you move out of your parents house

Feologild

Either at 18 or not really ever - I was in the army/commune year between 18 and 22 when I'd really only come visit once a month or so, but I still had 'my room' there. Then I moved in and out in between travel and shared apartments for pretty much the rest of my 20s. I've had a few patches of staying with them for 6 months or so, but also a lot of 2 week stays in between sublets or trips. I've always been in the same city, so even quite long stretches when I was living away, I'd still often drift over for a night here or there. I'm properly moving away now so that will be interesting.

I was 18. I couldn't take it at home anymore, so I worked full time to support myself while going to school full time. I got married at 21. Now my mother lives with us and quite frankly it is not going well. She hadn't been doing well and as the oldest daughter it pretty much fell on me to take care of her. Running back and forth every day got to be too much. But she's no more pleasant than she was when we were growing up and can be very nasty. I left at 18 to get away from that and I find myself wondering what in the world I was thinking. 

My children are 23 and 21 and I wonder when they're moving out. The 21 year old is still in school, but the 23 year old has a decent job--he just doesn't want to leave. 

At 16. I won a scholarship and went to Uni, but I was still underage , so Campus life was frowned upon by my parents, and I got a small apartment (really small!). They really did not realise that having my own place could have been worse for my alleged risk of becoming involved with the "wrong crowd" (i.e. people who weren't very focused on their studies as my parents thought me to be). I had a study group that practically lived in my house, people from all places and walks of life, it was wonderful. I cooked for twenty people in a kitchen the size of a toilet ;) .I really learned that freedom is the greatest thing there is, provided that you have at least some sense of responsibility. Being in charge of myself taught me that I have to take responsibility for my choices and for my life, and that truth never left me. My parents also did not give me money, only paid for the apartment, so I had to work for it, and it was a great lesson as well: if you know from a young age how hard it is to provide for yourself, you will always be grateful for the opportunity that life gives you, even the smallest ones.

19, to go to university. If not for having to leave town to do the study I wanted to do I would have lived at home for as long as I could. As long as your parents aren't dicks (which my parents weren't) I say milk the parental teat for as long as you can.

My parents were ultimately the ones who had to move out (to another country) and sell the house in order to stop all of my siblings from living at home. Those who stayed at home after starting to earn a steady income did pay rent.

I was 19 - after sophomore year at college, it wasn't really officially official until I graduated but I didn't live at home after that school year.  Would have been interesting moving back to small town NH after graduation but I was able to get a job and have been there ever since.

Archived