U.S. Politics: Hey! Teachers! Leave Them Kids Alone

Martell Spy

9 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

You can say FUCK here. Are you afraid of being... uncivil? We're all uncivil now.

Well, I post on other forums you know, so... Good habits I guess...

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

An interesting thought experiment might be why the court's only remaining 'swing' vote picked now to resign.  

I'm not sure what's interesting about it. It puts pressure on the Republicans to confirm a replacement in about two months, but that's fairly doable since they did it for Gorsuch.

There's no way you can look at this and not see it as a gift for Trump.

2 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Well Jace is right, with Kennedy retiring, that is the end of democracy in America.

I don't like hyperbole... But yeah. One of the best checks on Trump went from "barely existing" to "non-existant."

7 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Hey, go blame the majority of white women who stabbed their sisters in the back. Those reproduction rights were nice. Too bad someone had to come and take them away.

It was inevitable man. He was going to retire sooner than later. What you need to watch out for is if other older conservative justices retire. It’s smart politically to replace them with people who can sit on the bench for several decades to come. And of course if the older liberals retire or die……….

Of course he was going to retire at some point. It didn't have to be before the midterms.

Just now, chiKanery et al. said:

Hey, go blame the majority of white women who stabbed their sisters in the back. Those reproduction rights were nice. Too bad someone had to come and take them away.

It was inevitable man. He was going to retire sooner than later. What you need to watch out for is if other older conservative justices retire. It’s smart politically to replace them with people who can sit on the bench for several decades to come. And of course if the older liberals retire or die……….

Oh bro, I know them bitches did this to us. I just didn't want to you continue suckling at the corrupted teat of hope. It ain't good for you.

Meanwhile, 'if the older liberals...' what? If they what? It don't matter, man. We knew Kennedy was gonna retire for months, you silly gooses just convinced yourselves otherwise.

It's that hope man, you really gotta wean yourself off. A little hit every now and then, sure. Believe that the defense can get a stop, or that the new netflix series can exceed expectations. But you gotta pinch it off before you get a stomach ache.

You know the old adage 'misery loves company' ?

Well it's true! Welcome to the club, guys! Now it's not just me and Kalbear down here.

Who'da thunk that a guy who rarely decided not to be a piece of shit retiring would be the thing that broke all of you?

Oh well, interesting times and all that.

If you want to feel even worse, think about this: Jeff Flake recently announced he would be blocking all of Trump's judicial nominees until the Senate takes up a vote on the tariff legislation. 

So...the fate of our Republic hangs in balance and our only potential savior is: Jeff Fucking Flake.

Thank God they legalized weed here because I'm going to spend the rest of my life high.

19 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

It most certainly does contradict the statement "the democratic party was left out in the wilderness for decades."  There's no interpretation needed there, what you said is just plainly wrong.  This was my only point - your penchant for exaggeration - and there really doesn't need to be so much back and forth on it.

Nope. The Republicans have defined the agenda of the federal government since the 80s. Clinton snuck in on a 3-way spoiler race and this entire conversation was about that tack to the centre that he used to win those races. The Democrats were pushing hard for the centre because they didn't believe they could win otherwise and the results are pretty suggestive of that being correct.

Like, you wanna keep making this about something else. Your only point is horseshit based on misinterpretation.

33 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Well Jace is right, with Kennedy retiring, that is the end of democracy in America.

For those keeping score at home, once Kennedy’s replacement is confirmed, in the fifty-one since LBJ realigned American politics with the passage of the CRA and VRA and other great society programs and violated the white sanctity Of the Supreme Court with his final appointment, in those fifty one elapsed years we will have had fourteen justices appointed by republicans and four justices appointed by democrats, including of course one stolen seat.

Oh don't be so short-sighted. This is also the end of rights for women, minorities and the LGBT community. Have your abortions now I guess.

Kennedy has managed to secure himself one hell of a legacy here. A list of horrific decisions this week and then letting Trump appoint his successor.

The only play for the Democrats now is to pack the courts. They've either got the balls to do it or they may as well stop pretending they are a political entity within the US.

And remember, Trump and the republicans Supreme Court successes were entirely made possible by Obama ousting Dean and installing DWS instead.

This is a result of her miserable, "don't vote, donate", lose everywhere, lose preemptively, don't try to win strategy that the democrat leadership championed so hard in the 2010 and 2014 midterms.

4 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

And remember, Trump and the republicans Supreme Court successes were entirely made possible by Obama ousting Dean and installing DWS instead.

This is a result of her miserable, "don't vote, donate", lose everywhere, lose preemptively, don't try to win strategy that the democrat leadership championed so hard in the 2010 and 2014 midterms.

Nah. Their SCOTUS successes have been made possible because Republicans vote to control the courts and have for decades. And Democrats just don't vote or vote third party.

10 minutes ago, Shryke said:

The only play for the Democrats now is to pack the courts. They've either got the balls to do it or they may as well stop pretending they are a political entity within the US.

But if the Republicans passed a law allowing them to seat additional Conservative Supreme Court Justices today, you would think it unfair. 

5 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

But if the Republicans passed a law allowing them to seat additional Conservative Supreme Court Justices today, you would think it unfair. 

The Republican were derelict in their duty when they refused to consider Obama's nominee. That Rubicon is long passed.

I will say, I don't think Robert's votes to overturn Roe v. Wade; though he will probably allow it to be weakened. And on a ton of other issues it's really gonna suck with him as the swing vote.

Only hope is Trump goes too far with the pick and turns off Collins and Murkowski; they are on the record pro-choice after all.

11 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Where have you been for years?

The Republicans already stole a Supreme Court seat. This is not hypothetical. They literally already pulled this trigger. The only recourse is to fight back.

9 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The Republican were derelict in their duty when they refused to consider Obama's nominee. That Rubicon is long passed.

No, no, no, no. Let's not undersell what went on.

McConnell, the leader of the Republican party in the Senate, and with the cooperation of the rest of his part prevented the legitimately elected president from filling a supreme court seat so that hopefully someone from his own party could do so instead after the election. And election that McConnell knew his party was conspiring with a hostile foreign government to steal, which he knowingly covered up.

They were not derelict in their duty. They literally knowingly prevented Democrats from seating a SCOTUS justice as was their legitimate right given they won the election so that they could take the seat by working with a hostile foreign government to steal the election.

2 minutes ago, Shryke said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Where have you been for years?

The Republicans already stole a Supreme Court seat. This is not hypothetical. They literally already pulled this trigger. The only recourse is to fight back.

declining to have hearings for a year is completely different than adding justices to the court. 

54 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Oh bro, I know them bitches did this to us. I just didn't want to you continue suckling at the corrupted teat of hope. It ain't good for you.

Meanwhile, 'if the older liberals...' what? If they what? It don't matter, man. We knew Kennedy was gonna retire for months, you silly gooses just convinced yourselves otherwise.

It's that hope man, you really gotta wean yourself off. A little hit every now and then, sure. Believe that the defense can get a stop, or that the new netflix series can exceed expectations. But you gotta pinch it off before you get a stomach ache.

Here’s your hope hit: You only need to flip two.

Archived