Daenerys and Drogon

adiman83

I was wondering about something lately and I hope some of you guys might know the answer. Have any of the dragonlords of the past manage to bind themselves to a dragon without the use of magic? As far as I know, they used spells and a dragonbinder horn. The reason I'm asking is because in the books (as well as the show), Daenerys manages to bond with and ride Drogon with nothing but willpower and a whip. 

Is she the only dragonlord to achieve this, or is there a precedent?

7 minutes ago, adiman83 said:

I was wondering about something lately and I hope some of you guys might know the answer. Have any of the dragonlords of the past manage to bind themselves to a dragon without the use of magic? As far as I know, they used spells and a dragonbinder horn. The reason I'm asking is because in the books (as well as the show), Daenerys manages to bond with and ride Drogon with nothing but willpower and a whip. 

In general, I don't think Targaryens had to use magic or horns to claim their dragons.

Balerion was claimed by Maegor (I) after the death of Aegon I, and by Viserys (I) after him.

Vhagar was claimed by Laena Velaryon some time after the death of Visenya, and by Prince Aemond (s. Viserys I) after her.

Dreamfyre was flown by Princess Rhaena (d. Aenys I), and was claimed by Princess Helaena  (d. Aegon II) after her.

Quicksilver was flown by Aenys I, and was claimed by his son Prince Aegon after him.

Silverwing was flown by Queen Alysanne, and was claimed by Ulf the White after her.

Vermithor was flown by Jaehaerys I, and was claimed by Hugh Hammer.

Then there are all the other dragons which had one rider, who don't appear to have used any special magic or horn to claim them.

When Aegon III's ship, Gay Abandon, was seized by the Triarchy, he escaped from there flying on his dragon, for the first time. It's obvious, that Aegon and Viserys didn't had with them a dragon binding horn on that ship, and that Aegon didn't had any time to perform any dragonbinding magic. So I think, that only FIRST dragonlords, those Valyrians, that has found first dragons in volcanoes, used dragonbinding horn and magic to create between them and dragons a blood bond. After that any sort of additional magic was unnecessary, because their blood was all that was needed to control dragons. The magic bond is in Targaryen blood, this blood is what binds dragons to them. Dany didn't had to do anything, her blood is what made her able to hatch those dragon eggs, and to form bonds with her dragons, and to fly with Drogon.

3 hours ago, adiman83 said:

You don't need horns and magic to bond with a dragon.  The right bloodline helps.  The brown skinned girl, Nettles, managed to bond with a dragon without the use of magic.  I don't believe the Targaryens used horns.  Their bloodline helps them bond with dragons but that is not magic.  Controlled marriages probably allowed recessive genes to appear among the family.  

Dany and her dragons shared the fire together. I'd hazard a guess that her bond with them is stronger than any in (recorded) history. I am, of course, assuming that wasn't the normal way to hatch a dragon egg. That type of thing would be recorded I would think.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:43 PM, Trefayne said:

Dany and her dragons shared the fire together. I'd hazard a guess that her bond with them is stronger than any in (recorded) history. I am, of course, assuming that wasn't the normal way to hatch a dragon egg. That type of thing would be recorded I would think.

Dragon eggs hatched naturally.  The Targaryens may have special genetics that make the bonding easier but no horns are required.  Daenerys and her dragons differ from the other Targaryens because she hatched them herself.  The bond was formed on Drogo's funeral fire.  She is the mother to them.  

On 8/8/2018 at 4:03 PM, adiman83 said:

She is the Mother of Dragons.  Dany is a special case.  But even the other Targaryens didn't have to resort to gadgets.

Archived