TTTNE 475 - for the Honour of Greyskull!

felice

53 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Soooooo ... did the heat make everybody lazy and not wanting to post, or is there just nothing interesting to write?

No, it's too cold to post! We really need a heat pump. Also work is busy, and I'm obsessing about the new computer I'm assembling.

53 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Should I say something to the inappropriate crush? I was already planning to, but then ... I am a coward. :leaving:

Yes!!!

23 minutes ago, felice said:

No, it's too cold to post! We really need a heat pump. Also work is busy, and I'm obsessing about the new computer I'm assembling.

Cold? Are you on the southern hemisphere or something? :P

23 minutes ago, felice said:

Yes!!!

But but but ... :blushing::blushing::blushing: It is so inappropriate! :leaving:

15 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Soooooo ... did the heat make everybody lazy and not wanting to post, or is there just nothing interesting to write?

[snip]

And also for my semester abroad, starting in the middle of September. Right now, the dorm is giving me nightmares because of the extra costs I didn't expect, which I won't be able to cover solely from my scholarship ... will have to do some proofreading while I am there at least to earn something extra.

Should I say something to the inappropriate crush? I was already planning to, but then ... I am a coward. :leaving:

Basically, yeah. 

That’s very annoying. Will you have the time with your research duties and all? 

yes, you  should. 

Hello everyone!, how is your week going so far?, mine has been really good, except today Mini Sith has been difficult and stressing me out!, luckily she is tired and has gone to sleep now so finally get some peace, here’s to tomorrow being a better day :D.

25 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Hello everyone!, how is your week going so far?, mine has been really good, except today Mini Sith has been difficult and stressing me out!, luckily she is tired and has gone to sleep now so finally get some peace, here’s to tomorrow being a better day :D.

I am sure Mini Sith will be her friendly self very soon again. :)

My courses are gradually finishing, so that is nice, but I got a bunch of extra classes to teach this and next week, which I suppose is also nice from the financial perspective. Saw the person I might or might not be low-key (or might not be so very low-key) crushing on, so that was nice. Weather wasn't extremely hot here and it has been at least a day or two since @RhaenysBee has complained about the heat, so I assume it is nice at her place too. More summer planning, regarding work, study, holiday travels.

Might be meeting up with @TheCrannogDweller this weekend!

She just kept saying no!, to everything today ,and just generally draining my energy, but yes I still love her just as much and hope a nice long sleep will make her happier tomorrow, cranky toddlers are hard work!.

10 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

She just kept saying no!, to everything today ,and just generally draining my energy, but yes I still love her just as much and hope a nice long sleep will make her happier tomorrow, cranky toddlers are hard work!.

Not sure if I have shared this anecdote before, so: you have one guess what was the first word sister ever said at the tender age of 5 months old. 

Yes, it was “No”. Nothing has ever been so typical. 

Hope mini sith is in a better mood today. 

10 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

How much can she speak by now?

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Not sure if I have shared this anecdote before, so: you have one guess what was the first word sister ever said at the tender age of 5 months old. 

Yes, it was “No”. Nothing has ever been so typical. 

Hope mini sith is in a better mood today. 

Thankfully she is in a much better mood today :D.

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

How much can she speak by now?

She can say a few words now, probably 20 ish and can point to things she wants and know what some of them are.

21 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I just sent in the last assignment for my teaching certificate. I am free! I mean, I think. At least now I will be able to apply for some more jobs next year.

Wow congratulations! :cheers: sounds amazing. 

51 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Wow congratulations! :cheers: sounds amazing.

Well, I wouldn't know about that. I am just questioning if any of it is the right decision - should I actually move to Austria and just focus the PhD for a semester? I am not getting any younger, and this does not help me get a stable job and money.  Should I not stay here and apply for teaching jobs, which are not my dream, but now that I am qualified for it, I could do it and have something tangible in autumn. Just yesterday, I talked to a friend and she gave me some of her perspective - she is also working on a PhD, is actually further along than I am, but she says she is not even counting on ever being able to get a job at university, because that is useless ... IDK.

Sorry. That was a long-winded way to say thank you, Rhae, very kind of you. And how are you doing?

23 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Well, I wouldn't know about that. I am just questioning if any of it is the right decision - should I actually move to Austria and just focus the PhD for a semester? I am not getting any younger, and this does not help me get a stable job and money.  Should I not stay here and apply for teaching jobs, which are not my dream, but now that I am qualified for it, I could do it and have something tangible in autumn. Just yesterday, I talked to a friend and she gave me some of her perspective - she is also working on a PhD, is actually further along than I am, but she says she is not even counting on ever being able to get a job at university, because that is useless ... IDK.

Sorry. That was a long-winded way to say thank you, Rhae, very kind of you. And how are you doing?

Hmm, I thought your moving next  semester was a decided and scheduled event. Are you having second thoughts about that or do I misunderstand and there’s another case of moving? I honestly have no idea about PhDs. I literally only know two people from my generation who did one (excluding you). There was little money in it but they loved what they were doing. I think if you aim for an academic career it is a must, though, isn’t it? I don’t know how it is at your university, but at my mom’s, they are over the moon with joy when they have a rate PhD student because they need to secure succession in the faculties. Maybe it’s different at your uni? As for teaching jobs, is the difference in expected income significant  enough for you to do something you don’t enjoy? 

:lol: I’m all right, thank you. 

15 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Hmm, I thought your moving next  semester was a decided and scheduled event. Are you having second thoughts about that or do I misunderstand and there’s another case of moving? I honestly have no idea about PhDs. I literally only know two people from my generation who did one (excluding you). There was little money in it but they loved what they were doing. I think if you aim for an academic career it is a must, though, isn’t it? I don’t know how it is at your university, but at my mom’s, they are over the moon with joy when they have a rate PhD student because they need to secure succession in the faculties. Maybe it’s different at your uni? As for teaching jobs, is the difference in expected income significant  enough for you to do something you don’t enjoy? 

:lol: I’m all right, thank you. 

Oh, it is a decided and scheduled event for sure. I am, as usual, just second-thinking and over-thinking and all of that, as one does.

Well, I know slightly more people working on a PhD, because ... I am in this position myself, so duh. My perception is a bit different.

Well, I sure do aim for an academic career, at least that would be my target, but well, no hiring. I know that the department would be okay with having more young people they could employ, but if they don't get any money from the university so that they could even appoint anybody new, then it is of no use to anybody. :dunno: And even ... it might happen that they get a chance to employ one or even two people in the next few years ... but nothing can assure me that is going to be me, you understand? They might just choose somebody else and then not need to hire anybody else for the next 30 years, and then I have nothing again.

The difference between what I make now and what I would make if I had a normal employment contract would be something noticeable, yes. And what would be even more significant would be the stability and the chance of promotions and getting regular raises, which is not the case with where I work now.

I guess teaching in a public school would not be something I would enjoy as much as I like teaching adults, as I do now, but I suppose it is not the worst that can happen and I could see myself being okay with it for some years at least.

/is being fatalistic today

On 6/24/2019 at 10:43 PM, Buckwheat said:

Oh, it is a decided and scheduled event for sure. I am, as usual, just second-thinking and over-thinking and all of that, as one does.

Well, I know slightly more people working on a PhD, because ... I am in this position myself, so duh. My perception is a bit different.

Well, I sure do aim for an academic career, at least that would be my target, but well, no hiring. I know that the department would be okay with having more young people they could employ, but if they don't get any money from the university so that they could even appoint anybody new, then it is of no use to anybody. :dunno: And even ... it might happen that they get a chance to employ one or even two people in the next few years ... but nothing can assure me that is going to be me, you understand? They might just choose somebody else and then not need to hire anybody else for the next 30 years, and then I have nothing again.

The difference between what I make now and what I would make if I had a normal employment contract would be something noticeable, yes. And what would be even more significant would be the stability and the chance of promotions and getting regular raises, which is not the case with where I work now.

I guess teaching in a public school would not be something I would enjoy as much as I like teaching adults, as I do now, but I suppose it is not the worst that can happen and I could see myself being okay with it for some years at least.

/is being fatalistic today

Yeah I see. I’m sorry there’s so little security and guarantee in the academic career. Though they would be stupid to not choose you, because you do sound like the optimal candidate. Then again I don’t know anything about other PhD students who are also hoping to get the same academic job. 

Okay, I see. That sounds like a good deal financially. and if you were to opt for teaching in a public school and get a stable job, would that mean you have to completely give up the academic line? Could the two live next to one another with the compromise that your PhD would take longer? Just so you could keep your options open and find a way that gets you a stable job but also doesn’t close the opportunity to switch to an academic career when you want to. 

Of course, leaving options open is a slippery slope to indecision, which is not a positive thing, I would know, it’s the bane of my entire twenties. So maybe ignore everything I said so far and maybe the wise thing is to commit to either of the options. :leaving: 

also i have to tell the internet that it was 38C today, because I haven’t complained about the weather in a while. The inner city is mostly inhabitable because it stinks and you can’t walk two meters without dripping with sweat in all the place you never knew could sweat. 

Yesterday we were at a team building picnic, and yes we did walk in the hills with full backpacks of food and drinks. But because my boss is pregnant we were spared the joy of hiking up to the viewpoint at 12:30 in the 35C. Then I took the chairlift to get down, a bus, a tram and a subway to arrive one hour later to my post-finals meeting place to have late lunch with sister, who screwed up the oral part of her finals. She is still highly likely to be admitted to the uni of her choice but she was disappointed of course by the inelegant and slightly embarrassing end results. She is way better at literature and French than to have these final scores, but what can you do? Lots and lots of drama around this whole uni application business

Archived