Greatest Anti-Hero in Literature

Kissed_By_The_Sun

How about Tyrion? He's not especially heroic or stereotypical, but he's very much not a villain, eveh though he kills his own father.

Also, Elric, of course, and seconding Severus Snape, even if some people might be more inclined to toss him into the villain bin.

How about Tyrion? He's not especially heroic or stereotypical, but he's very much not a villain, eveh though he kills his own father.

Fair enough, but from this to the greatest anti-hero of all times is a bit of a big step, isn't it? :)

Richard III from Shakespeare's Richard III -- part of me always roots for him as much as the bard tried to portray him as a murderer. He is the only one with any skill or taste for an intrigue -- the rest of the characters are puppets in his grand play.

Richard III from Shakespeare's Richard III -- part of me always roots for him as much as the bard tried to portray him as a murderer. He is the only one with any skill or taste for an intrigue -- the rest of the characters are puppets in his grand play.

Good call, I was trying to think of Shakespeare but nothing popped into my head as an obvious anti-hero.

But that reminds me:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from Tom Stoppard's play. <3

also, Oedipus

Fair enough, but from this to the greatest anti-hero of all times is a bit of a big step, isn't it? :)

Hmm, methinks I may have missed the point of the thread just a wee bit. :P

Now to rationalise myself...

Maybe Tyrion's an anti-anti-hero. He's not evil, he's not good, he's not a fighter, he's not a sorcerer, he's really ugly, not just unconventional and idealised like Elric, but he's a real politician and manipulator, a really smart one that doesn't need his enemies rash or dumbed down to succeed. He also as a reason to be cynical, but still has a hell of a sense of humour. In short, he's an extremely well-crafted anti-hero. He's not sheer greatness on Feanorian scale, but on the "memorable" scale, he blows of the top.

How's that? :)

Hmm, methinks I may have missed the point of the thread just a wee bit. :P

Now to rationalise myself...

Maybe Tyrion's an anti-anti-hero. He's not evil, he's not good, he's not a fighter, he's not a sorcerer, he's really ugly, not just unconventional and idealised like Elric, but he's a real politician and manipulator, a really smart one that doesn't need his enemies rash or dumbed down to succeed. He also as a reason to be cynical, but still has a hell of a sense of humour. In short, he's an extremely well-crafted anti-hero. He's not sheer greatness on Feanorian scale, but on the "memorable" scale, he blows of the top.

How's that? :)

I do think Tyrion's an anti-hero. So are Jaime and Sandor! But it's cheating to use ASOIAF characters, everyone would agree, no? (Randyll Tarly isn't however :rolleyes: )

I do love your icon BTW ^^

One thing I wonder is... is there such a thing as a female antihero? If not, why? If so, care to nominate some?

Archived