Shakin', Bakin' and Mario Makin': the Mario Maker levels topic

polishgenius

This may be very obvious to you all, but since I only discovered it last night: if you click the "x" on your course profile (above the delete button- I had assumed it was another delete button) you can see where players died on your course. This is really, really useful; I uploaded a course I wasn't sure about last night, and saw that the people who played it died in similar spots and didn't finish the course- that tells me a lot about how to fix it to make it less frustrating.

I loved the Bobomb course, which has the bonus of a great title. Very nice idea.

Thank you! You probably saw, but I had to delete and reupload the Bob-omb course. I didn't realize it but I had some "naked" pipes, the kind where the base of the pipe ends before it should and the pipe just abruptly stops :( Hated to lose those likes and plays, but better to fix it early.

Aww, too bad. Well, I replayed it and liked it again! Plus got the record. It looks like it's getting some traction too.

My new course, Spooky Scary, is up! My first shot at a ghost level, heavily edited from when I uploaded it yesterday. It's got a key hunt through doors, a haunted swamp, and general spookiness. HTS-S7W-KPG

On a different note, even though we're clearly the best Mario Makers out there, do you all have any makers you've found whose levels you love? I think my favourite is Nabuz, who does lots of very fun and clever themed levels - L7R-T93-TRG. I also love Majora, who has very cleverly re-created the first four dungeons from Ocarina of Tim and will be doing the rest. 44Y-R5W-5VG

That was fun, a nice change of pace. You've done a nice job of designing so that nothing you can screw up is permanent. It's not worth a re-upload I don't think but my one gripe is the ghost circle in the bottom right of the door area. I thought it was there because there was a platform down there so I jumped down and died. The gap in the ghost circle generally invites players to try to get inside or through it. Its presence there also means you can see it clipping over from the other area at the end when you go through the door.

I've definitely found a designer or two that I like, I will post their codes when I can get to them. 

7 hours ago, Inigima said:

That was fun, a nice change of pace. You've done a nice job of designing so that nothing you can screw up is permanent. It's not worth a re-upload I don't think but my one gripe is the ghost circle in the bottom right of the door area. I thought it was there because there was a platform down there so I jumped down and died. The gap in the ghost circle generally invites players to try to get inside or through it. Its presence there also means you can see it clipping over from the other area at the end when you go through the door.

I've definitely found a designer or two that I like, I will post their codes when I can get to them. 

Ahh, yeah, that's unfortunate. That ghost circle is basically a leftover from the earlier version of the level where you would go downwards. When I decided to leave it in, I should have thought more about its placement. Good to know for next time- thanks for the feedback!

Bomb-om Breakthrough 

H3C-1DT-90H

Initially inspired by playing Inigma's level but then it totally got away from me. I can safely say I spent more time on this level than any other. most of it reining in my worst impulses. It's gonna get a lot of boos. But I stand by it!

23 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

My new course, Spooky Scary, is up! My first shot at a ghost level, heavily edited from when I uploaded it yesterday. It's got a key hunt through doors, a haunted swamp, and general spookiness. HTS-S7W-KPG

Great, difficult but not frustrating. I especially love the goal stretch. You could probably make a whole vertical level based on the "Parachuting boos become active when they hit a brick" mechanic.

Separately I have a question, what exactly is the difference between the two 3D / 2.5D marios?  I'll probably never make courses in that style but I am curious.  

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Separately I have a question, what exactly is the difference between the two 3D / 2.5D marios?  I'll probably never make courses in that style but I am curious.   

NSMBU is basically the same as the other three styles, same stuff with minor differences in mechanics and a couple switched out gizmos, items, and enemies. 3D World has a couple gizmos and items that don't correspond at all to the rest, like clear pipes, different spike blocks that work with the on-off switch, blinking blocks instead of switch blocks (that don't work with the on/off switch and are timed), also a couple totally different enemies, including the koopar car, which can also change things up a lot because you can steal it and creat a driving level.

It's why you can't switch already-created stages between 3D World and the rest of the styles. It's worth a look honestly, you can do interesting stuff with it that you can't in the originals. 

Yeah, I'll be curious to mess around with the 3D world maker soon. My first impression of the pipe system was pretty bad, because there are a lot of tedious levels out there with endless pipe mazes, but then I tried the story mode pipe level and I see now how you can do fun things with it. Plus I like Cat Mario, the kart, and the 3D Bullet Bills.

Will try Bobomb Breakthrough when I get home!

33 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

My first impression of the pipe system was pretty bad, because there are a lot of tedious levels out there with endless pipe mazes, but then I tried the story mode pipe level and I see now how you can do fun things with it. Plus I like Cat Mario, the kart, and the 3D Bullet Bills.

He does succumb to a showy overlong pipe slide right at the end, but here's a level that's a quick example of some things you can do with SM3DW's uniques.

D82-YT8-9XG

18 hours ago, RumHam said:

Bomb-om Breakthrough 

H3C-1DT-90H

Initially inspired by playing Inigma's level but then it totally got away from me. I can safely say I spent more time on this level than any other. most of it reining in my worst impulses. It's gonna get a lot of boos. But I stand by it!

This was fun but tricky. I gave it a like. I got hung up for quite a while after the (second?) checkpoint trying to get Bob-ombs through a hole I blasted in order to blast another hole, only to discover that if I had gone slightly further right a crusher would make the hole for me, and almost ran out of time as a result! I thought I was softlocked at the final pipe, but I wasn't. Good hiding there.

2 hours ago, Inigima said:

This was fun but tricky. I gave it a like. I got hung up for quite a while after the (second?) checkpoint trying to get Bob-ombs through a hole I blasted in order to blast another hole, only to discover that if I had gone slightly further right a crusher would make the hole for me, and almost ran out of time as a result! I thought I was softlocked at the final pipe, but I wasn't. Good hiding there.

Exact same comments! I really liked the course, which was very creative and had some great ideas and progression. I loved the ending with the thwomp thwomp. But yes, I got stuck at that same part too; I spent many minutes over two lives slowly chucking bobombs, trying to make a path forward, before I finally got close enough for the crusher to activate. I imagine many will get frustrated at that point in the level.

In the snow Bob-omb one of yours I couldn't figure out what to do after the checkpoint where you find the Hammer Brother. What's the deal? I thought maybe you could blast a hole with the big Bob-omb but there are too many small Bob-ombs to get it there. 

1 minute ago, Inigima said:

In the snow Bob-omb one of yours I couldn't figure out what to do after the checkpoint where you find the Hammer Brother. What's the deal? I thought maybe you could blast a hole with the big Bob-omb but there are too many small Bob-ombs to get it there. 

Yep, got stuck at the same part. I got the big bobomb over but it didn't help. I feel like it has something to do with the spiked shell that drops from the pipe... Am planning to go back and try again.

The SM3 map one was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to trying more of its paths out to speedrun it.

26 minutes ago, Inigima said:

23 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Yep, got stuck at the same part. I got the big bobomb over but it didn't help. I feel like it has something to do with the spiked shell that drops from the pipe... Am planning to go back and try again.

My friend just got the game and had the same complaint. The idea is you stand under the pipe, the spike falls on you and you wear it as a hat. You then use it to break those unbreakable blocks in the way and continue.  Obviously I fucked up.  An otherwise pointless P block and some coins might help fix this I hope. Ideally while leaving the intended solution as the faster route. 

He also pointed out an area on Coursey McCourseface where you could use yoshi to ride a thwomp to a softlock.  :( but I'll leave that for now. 

30 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

The SM3 map one was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to trying more of its paths out to speedrun it.

That pipe that lets out out past the goal is more of an easter egg than anything.  It's just a transition screen copied from SM3. 

54 minutes ago, RumHam said:

My friend just got the game and had the same complaint. The idea is you stand under the pipe, the spike falls on you and you wear it as a hat. You then use it to break those unbreakable blocks in the way and continue.  Obviously I fucked up.  An otherwise pointless P block and some coins might help fix this I hope. Ideally while leaving the intended solution as the faster route. 

He also pointed out an area on Coursey McCourseface where you could use yoshi to ride a thwomp to a softlock.  :( but I'll leave that for now. 

That pipe that lets out out past the goal is more of an easter egg than anything.  It's just a transition screen copied from SM3. 

Got it, I did consider spiny shell as helmet but since I couldn't pick it up and then push Down to wear it, I just assumed it was impossible. Never occurred to me to let it fall on my head. Not sure what you could do to make it clearer... maybe put the pipe higher? I don't know, it's weird. The whole shellmet thing is super new to me as of this game.

8 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Got it, I did consider spiny shell as helmet but since I couldn't pick it up and then push Down to wear it, I just assumed it was impossible. Never occurred to me to let it fall on my head. Not sure what you could do to make it clearer... maybe put the pipe higher? I don't know, it's weird. The whole shellmet thing is super new to me as of this game.

It's new to me too. In 3 and World you can hold it and hit down to wear it. in one... I really don't know how to telegraph that you can wear it.

I guess what I should have done was made a pit where the player falls in and then in confused for 3-5 seconds while the hat falls on them and then there's an easy way to get out by jumping to break hard blocks.  

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's new to me too. In 3 and World you can hold it and hit down to wear it. in one... I really don't know how to telegraph that you can wear it.

I guess what I should have done was made a pit where the player falls in and then in confused for 3-5 seconds while the hat falls on them and then there's an easy way to get out by jumping to break hard blocks.  

That is a good solution. Count me in among those generally confused by how the shell helmets work. If you don't want to re-upload the level, when I play again tonight I can leave a comment there giving away what you have to do.

Archived