Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
polishgenius

Shakin', Bakin' and Mario Makin': the Mario Maker levels topic

Recommended Posts

On 8/9/2019 at 6:50 AM, Inigima said:

New level up! 

Cloud Nine

CB2-454-62H

An auto-scrolling sky level, just like Mom used to make.

I don't think it's very hard, but I consciously tried to make the actual platforming too tough because I know that auto-scroll of any kind will make it harder for beginners.

Another fun and well designed level! I do think it probably veered too easy for me. But it's hard for me to judge how beginners handle courses, even though I'm by no means a great Mario player.

Building another Ghost House level. This one I'm really trying to focus on atmosphere and am trying to pay more attention to aesthetics than I usually do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I think you're right about the difficulty, but I worried making it harder would make it inaccessible to inexperienced players given the auto scroll. In fact, the first thing that happened was someone played it once, died, and booed it. Think of it as Level 1-3, I guess? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Inigima said:

Thanks. I think you're right about the difficulty, but I worried making it harder would make it inaccessible to inexperienced players given the auto scroll. In fact, the first thing that happened was someone played it once, died, and booed it. Think of it as Level 1-3, I guess? 

Ugh, it's so obnoxious when that happens. No matter how easy you make a level, someone will die and (I assume) because it messes up their endless run, boo it.

@RumHam you may have the wrong thread, unless you're planning to make a Shining Mario Maker course, ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

 

@RumHam you may have the wrong thread, unless you're planning to make a Shining Mario Maker course, ha. 

Well no that would be amazing. but yeah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RumHam said:

Well no that would be amazing. but yeah. 

My current level is going to be exorcism/haunted house themed, so hopefully that's close enough

Edited by Caligula_K3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just uploaded my new level! I spent a lot of time on this one, trying to focus more on aesthetics and atmosphere. As always, feedback is welcome!

The Exorcism of Boo Manor

2M7-RG5-BVF

Father Mario is called to Boo Manor to purify it of the unholy spirits that have taken up residence. What horrors await?

Edited by Caligula_K3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 11:22 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

I just uploaded my new level! I spent a lot of time on this one, trying to focus more on aesthetics and atmosphere. As always, feedback is welcome!

The Exorcism of Boo Manor

2M7-RG5-BVF

Father Mario is called to Boo Manor to purify it of the unholy spirits that have taken up residence. What horrors await?

That was especially great. I'd never seen that "light up the room with lightning when the player breaks a brick" think before. The effects in generally were really well used. I really wanna do something in a dark ghost house eventually. 2/3 houses down in Fire Emblem so I'll probably be back to making levels soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to get back into this. Got distraced when I downloaded The Messenger and have spent much time since also playing Dead Cells. Need to get some dedicated Mario Maker time in before the big new releases start flooding in at the end of the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 11:22 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

I just uploaded my new level! I spent a lot of time on this one, trying to focus more on aesthetics and atmosphere. As always, feedback is welcome!

The Exorcism of Boo Manor

2M7-RG5-BVF

Father Mario is called to Boo Manor to purify it of the unholy spirits that have taken up residence. What horrors await?

This was nice, I always enjoy the "series of small challenge rooms" model. Creative second half as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for playing, Inigma and RumHam. I'm glad you two liked it!

I'm still hopelessly addicted to Mario Maker, so I'll be here to play your new levels when you all make them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made a couple of new levels after a bit of a hiatus, both collaborations with my wife:

Cave of Wonders - B6C-52L-91H

Not very hard, themed level that's part auto-scroll. 

 

Rise & Fall of the Roman Empire - 2DV-V09-6LF

Much harder than most of what I've made, but not kaizo levels or anything insane like that. Castle level with two very different sections, both with rising and falling lava. 

 

I'm hoping more of y'all will come back to SMM2, the quality of what's come out of here has been excellent IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Inigima said:

I've made a couple of new levels after a bit of a hiatus, both collaborations with my wife:

Cave of Wonders - B6C-52L-91H

Not very hard, themed level that's part auto-scroll. 

 

Rise & Fall of the Roman Empire - 2DV-V09-6LF

Much harder than most of what I've made, but not kaizo levels or anything insane like that. Castle level with two very different sections, both with rising and falling lava. 

 

I'm hoping more of y'all will come back to SMM2, the quality of what's come out of here has been excellent IMO. 

Thanks for posting these! I played Cave of Wonders last week and really liked it- what a clever idea. As an ancient historian, I'm also very curious to check out the second one.

I definitely still load up the game once or twice a week to see if anyone I'm following has made new levels and to check out what's most popular that week, but it's been hard for me to find the mental energy to make a new level. Hopefully I'll get back into it soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you liked it! I saw your comment when you posted it. I hope the other one won't disappoint you -- the only real Roman element to it is the crumbling buildings, and the "Rise and Fall" thing is just a joke about the lava.

I didn't make any levels for a while because I had no inspiration. I think I produce decent levels in a gameplay sense, but it's hard to even get started when you have no ideas that strike your fancy. My wife has been a big help in that department lately. I sometimes start with a general idea, or even just a funny phrase, and develop a theme from there. Right now I'm thinking of making a water level almost entirely because I was thinking about the South Pacific musical.

I definitely recommend thinking about a small subset of elements you want to include -- ones that fit your theme, like Dry Bones mostly belong in castles and ghost houses, not outside -- and then sticking to those. Constraining yourself can lead to some nicely creative output, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 3:08 PM, Inigima said:

I'm glad you liked it! I saw your comment when you posted it. I hope the other one won't disappoint you -- the only real Roman element to it is the crumbling buildings, and the "Rise and Fall" thing is just a joke about the lava.

I didn't make any levels for a while because I had no inspiration. I think I produce decent levels in a gameplay sense, but it's hard to even get started when you have no ideas that strike your fancy. My wife has been a big help in that department lately. I sometimes start with a general idea, or even just a funny phrase, and develop a theme from there. Right now I'm thinking of making a water level almost entirely because I was thinking about the South Pacific musical.

I definitely recommend thinking about a small subset of elements you want to include -- ones that fit your theme, like Dry Bones mostly belong in castles and ghost houses, not outside -- and then sticking to those. Constraining yourself can lead to some nicely creative output, IMO.

Only just now saw this post. I did enjoy Rise and Fall a lot! It was definitely a lot harder than your other levels, but in a good way. And don't worry, I understood the limitations of a Roman history theme in Mario Maker.

Yeah, the lack of inspiration has been a problem for me too. I'm in awe of these makers who are constantly pumping out cool and original content; I started a few levels over the past few months but got bored with them  There was something nice last night about just having a really stupid, limited idea (bridges and wizards and falling bullet bill launchers, basically) and rolling with it for an hour or two, doing a bit of playtesting, and submitting it - vs. the one before that, which took me like a week and a half to make. I might just try to do more small ideas like this rather than trying to create THE PERFECT LEVEL or trying to top my haunted house level in terms of complexity and aesthetic design.

I don't think I ever tried Das Boot, so will get on that!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had time to play around with the new stuff in maker mode yet (plus I'm still playing the new Pokemon game so it may be a while), but I did try out a few levels based around the new Link powerup and they were super fun. It's a very versatile set of moves. If you want to figure out the whole moveset, there's a level at the top of Popular called "intro to being a hero" or something like that which is very well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...