Cricket 37: Boycott's Grandma Probably Should Bat

Jeor

Yeah, Anderson/Broad/Archer would have been a terrifying pace lineup.

Leach has got some half chances going but he's also gone for almost 6 an over.

Another fifty for Smith, this is freakish. Extends his own record for consecutive Ashes fifties.

8 minutes ago, Paxter said:

If he hadn’t got smashed on the head at Lord’s he’d be on a hundred streak...

I guess this is what all Ashes series were like during The Don’s career.

Yes, this series really is Bradman-esque. Just imagine a whole career like that...it's not hard to see why they were desperate to try Bodyline or that there was a headline "Bradman Fails" when he scored 80.

2 minutes ago, Philokles said:

Jason Roy facing a couple of balls earlier than he usually would as opener. 

Yes, no difference for Roy batting at 4 this innings...

Cummins and Hazlewood have been the best one-two pace attack we've had for a long while, since McGrath/Gillespie.

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

That’s pretty much the end of that. There’s no way England are batting three and a bit sessions with no contributions from Burns and Root.

Yes, Burns and Root would have been the two key players who could occupy the crease for a long time.

England will now have to rely on Joe Denly to pull this out of the fire.

(tongue in cheek, but not completely outrageous - he did do a very good job of soaking up a lot of balls with his 50 off 155 balls last match)

It's been a very good last hour for Paine and the Australians.

This little mini-session is short enough that they'll still be bowling with a pretty new ball tomorrow, probably only 6 overs old, and they'll have Cummins and Hazlewood ready to go for another full opening spell too.

It shouldn't be all doom and gloom. A draw is still possible, but probably not too likely. What's the forecast for the last day?

Stokes have shown himself to be a big game player and Leach is the new Wall. I reckon they need to move Leach up the order (at the very least before Archer and Broad). Looks more comfortable than most batsmen (of both sides!). Plus he will likely get the crowd off their seat. And they really need the crowd to show up like they did at Headingley.

I must say, i am super surprised both Burns and Root got taken out so quickly. Either way, this is the time for that Denly century. Pax got a few bucks down on that for sure! lol

Edit: I must admit, I feel for Root. He got out to some absolute gems this series. Not too much he can do about that.

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

I have a few bucks on Australia winning...but all it will do is make up for my losses at Headingley.

Hah! I've had a bit of a flutter on the matches this series too. Strangely enough I actually won some money at Headingley (I had bet on England winning at the start of the chase just to give myself some insurance) but I'm annoyed I didn't slap some money on during that last wicket stand when the odds were astronomically better. Following my philosophy of betting against the result I want I've put some money on a draw now.

Reflecting on yesterday's play, some observations...

• I really think Warner must be dropped now. Apart from his one 50, in all other 7 innings there is literally zero evidence to suggest he can hang around beyond Stuart Broad's opening spell.
  • Steve Smith's 82 off 92 balls was amazingly quick on a wicket where everyone else has been having trouble in these latter stages. Matthew Wade probably deserves to keep his spot - his 30-odd here in difficult circumstances was very important.
  • The first three Australian batsmen were out LBW and the fourth (Head) was bowled. On a fifth day wicket showing a bit of movement and variable bounce, I think there are going to be lots of potential LBWs and bowleds. Aussies should pitch it up and aim at the stumps, and Tim Paine must not waste reviews - I have a feeling they are going to need them as there will be a fair few LBW shouts.

England lost their main people who could bat time (Burns and Root) so I imagine Denly is going to have to anchor one end if England are to get this. Roy and Buttler may have trouble with their ODI techniques on a wearing pitch. Headingley's pitch was a very different prospect to this one. Australia will be happy that they picked Mitchell Starc; on a fifth day and with some potential reverse swing with the old ball, he's exactly what they need to buy low order wickets on a final day.

England have safely negotiated the first hour, very good work by Denly and Roy. If they can get to lunch intact or only one wicket down, England will have a chance here.

Archived