LadyBlackwater

Theories on The Hound? *spoilers*

In the books, they say the hound is dead. When Brienne and Pod join the Septon at his home base, there is a very tall man digging a grave and they have the hounds horse(renamed Driftwood). I used to theorize that the silent digger is actually the hound. In the show version, the hound is actually alive and joined up with a septon. Do you think this solidifies the theory that the hound is the silent digger?

I'd be surprised if that turned out not to be the Hound. But in typical Martin fashion, he throws out one mystery like this in order to deflect from something far more interesting.

The whole bit about Stranger rearing up and biting the brother who tried to geld him. It sounds an awful lot like he knew what was about to happen, which is simply impossible for a horse. Mayhaps the Hound and Stranger have some sort of mind-connection like the Stark kids and their wolves? Several other characters seem to have this as well: Lyanna Stark, Domeric Bolton (both mad for horses), and even Arya, during her escape attempt from the brotherhood, seems to feel that the horse knows what to do without being told.

Why would House Clegane have this ability, though? And might it in some way explain Gregor? As in, his mind as an infant was being tainted by the thoughts of some animal -- a vicious dog, perhaps? Kind of like what is happening between Rickon and Shaggy Dog? Might this also be the source of the "wolf blood" in certain Starks?

I'm just ruminating, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't more the House Clegane than meets the eye.

12 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Mayhaps the Hound and Stranger have some sort of mind-connection like the Stark kids and their wolves?

I'm just ruminating, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't more the House Clegane than meets the eye.

Dogs & Direwolfs = both canines

10 hours ago, #1dolFAN said:

Dogs & Direwolfs = both canines

Right, but how could a common kennelmaster from the westerlands share what otherwise appears to be a unique trait in the ruling house of the north?

And at the same time, am I the only one who sees a parallel between the wolf blood of the Starks and the madness of the Targaryens? It seems that the gods flip a coin for every babe born to both houses: madness/wolf blood for some, sanity for others.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

And at the same time, am I the only one who sees a parallel between the wolf blood of the Starks and the madness of the Targaryens? It seems that the gods flip a coin for every babe born to both houses: madness/wolf blood for some, sanity for others.

Refresh me on any Starks who suffered from insanity/schizophrenia/madness?

On 11/27/2019 at 1:17 PM, #1dolFAN said:

Refresh me on any Starks who suffered from insanity/schizophrenia/madness?

Wolf blood causes a kind of maniacal, defiant, risk-taking behavior among Starks: Brandon, Lyanna, Arya . . .

Targ madness cause maniacal, defiant, risk-taking behavior in Targs: Maegor, Daeron I, Aerion Brightflame, Aerys II . . .

I don't see anyone suffering from schizophrenia, and both insanity and madness are in the eye of the beholder.

15 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Wolf blood causes a kind of maniacal, defiant, risk-taking behavior among Starks: Brandon, Lyanna, Arya . . .

Targ madness cause maniacal, defiant, risk-taking behavior in Targs: Maegor, Daeron I, Aerion Brightflame, Aerys II . . .

I don't see anyone suffering from schizophrenia, and both insanity and madness are in the eye of the beholder.

The wolf blood influences personality traits more so than psychological/mental health issues is what you’re saying.

On 27. November 2019 at 5:48 PM, John Suburbs said:

Right, but how could a common kennelmaster from the westerlands share what otherwise appears to be a unique trait in the ruling house of the north?

But skinchangers are not that unique. 1 in 1000. If I remember correctly. Not only the ruling house of the north shares that ability. Why should it matter that granddad Clegane was a common kennel master?

On 11/29/2019 at 11:54 AM, #1dolFAN said:

The wolf blood influences personality traits more so than psychological/mental health issues is what you’re saying.

Maniacal behavior is a psychological/mental health issue. If Brandon had been a king and behaved the way he did, would he be considered mad? The only difference I see between him and Aerys is that Aerys had more political power to wield. So I contend that wolf blood and Targ "madness" might be caused by the same thing: some kind of reverse warg that allows animal minds to shape human minds in the infant or even in utero stages.

Just a thought.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:21 AM, Nagini's Neville said:

But skinchangers are not that unique. 1 in 1000. If I remember correctly. Not only the ruling house of the north shares that ability. Why should it matter that granddad Clegane was a common kennel master?

I can't imagine that it's 1 in 1000. That would mean there are literally a million skin changers in the world. I think that number may refer to northmen and wildlings, since that is where the bulk of the known skinchangers reside. Bloodraven is the only known southron changer that I'm aware of, but he is a Blackwood, and a greenseer to boot.

I'm not saying there has to be a connection between Clegane's and Starks. It's just odd that among all of the southron houses, only the Clegane's seem to have this ability, and they are a very recent house.

On 12/1/2019 at 5:04 PM, John Suburbs said:

I can't imagine that it's 1 in 1000. That would mean there are literally a million skin changers in the world. I think that number may refer to northmen and wildlings, since that is where the bulk of the known skinchangers reside. Bloodraven is the only known southron changer that I'm aware of, but he is a Blackwood, and a greenseer to boot.

I'm not saying there has to be a connection between Clegane's and Starks. It's just odd that among all of the southron houses, only the Clegane's seem to have this ability, and they are a very recent house.

Not skinchangers, but Jaime and Cersei and even Tyrion seem to have some of that "dreamsight" blood like Jojen's and GoHH. All have foretelling dreams. Jaime even has a dream where he communicates with his dead mother. They all have green eyes (well Tyrion has one green eye).

There are also some Houses in the Reach that may have skinchanger abilities. The big difference is that the Houses south of the Neck were heavily Andalized and became believers of the Faith and are under the sway of maesters for far longer. Neither Faith or maesters like skinchangers, nor did the Andals. The risk of ending up being hunted if anyone would come out and admit it is too big. On top of that, Robb was quite evidently a warg, but he denied this even to himself, and wanted to dissociate from this. Heck, even Bran (a child who believes in CotF and Giants) and who dreams of the 3EC starts to doubt and negate any such thing as warging and dreamsight to Jojen and Meera after maester Luwin talked and manipulated such ideas out of Bran (by drugging him to stop the nightmares, except they don't stop). If Stark children even deny their abilities, even to themselves, then why would you expect Andalized southerners to accept it of themselves, let alone train it, or openly flaunt it.