UK Politics: Unboldy Go There Where No Country Has Gone Before

Tywin Manderly

3 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Zionism is an inextricable component of Jewish peoplehood and religion.

Many Jews do not want Zionists or Zionism to define what it means to be Jewish.

Including many Israelis btw. Are they "anti-Zionist"? Or anti-semitic?

Is this article anti-semitic? Is the author's position  (or existence) preposterous?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haaretz.com/amp/opinion/.premium-the-contract-on-corbyn-1.8192769

The idea that anything about this is simple is really dumb.

34 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Many Jews do not want Zionists or Zionism to define what it means to be Jewish.

Including many Israelis btw. Are they "anti-Zionist"? Or anti-semitic?

Is this article anti-semitic? Is the author's position  (or existence) preposterous?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haaretz.com/amp/opinion/.premium-the-contract-on-corbyn-1.8192769

The idea that anything about this is simple is really dumb.

You don't speak for a single Jew, let alone "many."

Zionism doesn't define what it means to be Jewish. It is, in fact, an inextricable component of what it means to be Jewish.

This has been the reality as long as there have been Jews, and as long as imperialists and colonists have forced and kept them out of their own indigenous land.

No, being critical of particular policies of a particular Israeli government is not inherently antisemitic or anti-Zionist. As noted before, most Zionist Jews do just that.

Being opposed to or delegitimizing the existence of the Jewish state in Israel is antisemitic, using Zionist as a pejorative is antisemitic, anti-Zionism is inherently a thinly disguised Soviet repackaging of Russian antisemitism. 

And yes, if you actually knew anything about Gideon Levy you would know that he is widely considered by Jews to be an antisemite, who opposes the existence of the single Jewish state in the world. That he was born Jewish does not shield him from what his own statements about Jews reveal him to be. His antisemitic smear of British Jews with some bullshit conspiracy was just another on a long list of smears of his fellow Jews.

I mean we definitely haven't been saying "l'shanah haba'ah b'Yerushalayim" (next year in Jerusalem) at the end of Pesach seders for hundreds of years because it's not important to us. And we definitely don't refer to ourselves as being in exile or a diaspora because reasons.

10 hours ago, john said:

There is a group of people that description does resemble though ...

No idea tbh. And I really don't particularly enjoy having to defend Corbyn on anything. But as has been said a few times context matters, and if he was basically just taking a shot at (presumably zionist) hacklers. Then that's that.

I wasn't however aware that lack of humour/irony was a typical Jewish stereotype. Ok, having watched a rerun of a Seinfeld episode, I can see where this one started.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I wasn't however aware that lack of humour/irony was a typical Jewish stereotype. Ok, having watched a rerun of a Seinfeld episode, I can see where this one started.

Seems a strange stereotype give that some of my favourite comedians of all time are Jewish. Seinfeld being one of them!

Archived