Formula One 2020

Werthead

• 2 weeks later...

Mercedes seem to be losing the plot at the moment. Looks like Baku could be as bad for them as Monaco, though of course they could turn it around before qualifying.

40 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Mercedes seem to be losing the plot at the moment. Looks like Baku could be as bad for them as Monaco, though of course they could turn it around before qualifying.

I'm always wary about counting Hamilton or Mercedes out based on performance in practise sessions, although it does definitely look like advantage to the Red Bulls so far.

9 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I'm always wary about counting Hamilton or Mercedes out based on performance in practise sessions, although it does definitely look like advantage to the Red Bulls so far.

Agreed, but there seems to be a fundamental problem with the Mercedes generating heat on street circuits and getting the tyres into the operating window. Seeing Mercedes running 4/6 in practice, people wondering if they've lost it, and then them smashing it in qualifying is much more normal. Them running so much lower and verbally asking what the hell is going on indicates they're having real issues.

That said, Baku has much longer straights so they might be able to get up to speed and overtake in the race, even if qualifying is a struggle. Red Bull will want to capitalise as much as possible because it might be a while before they run into a track with the same kind of problem (and Singapore being cancelled is probably bad news for Red Bull on that score). If Perez gets ahead of Max tomorrow, I can see that causing Red Bull some headaches (and maybe a quiet word and a surprise announcement of Perez's contract renewal, followed by Perez handing the lead to Max in the race).

I think Mercedes are suffering worse from the loss of DAS than they anticipated, in 2020 they were in much better shape even on street circuits and the major difference for them is the loss of DAS. All of the teams have had the same type of aero changes inflicted for this season, so they should all be having the same difficulties there.

Although as has been pointed out, longer and lower rake designs suffered worse from the loss of aero than other designs.

It makes for a very interesting season anyway!

That was a bananas qualifying session. Hamilton was gifted second by the red flag, I doubt he'd have been able to hold off Max and maybe Perez. Bottas was woeful at a track he usually goes well at, showing how bad the Mercedes problems are.

Ferrari looked much more competitive on a track they were expected to slip back on, suggesting that they've found a significant amount of speed and it's not just a Monaco thing. Still, I'm not sure if Leclerc for the win tomorrow is really realistic.

Four red flags in one qualifying event is a new record, which is quite impressive. Turns 3 and 15 catching people out when they've not really been a problem before is odd, suggesting that it's an issue with the aero design on the cars catching out the turning. I got the impression the cars were having to slow much more than in 2019 to get through the turns, and Stroll and Ricciardo were particularly at risk because they're both usually really got in Baku and the change caught them out.

Someone should also perhaps tell Mazepin that if there's one driver on the grid you really don't want to start trying to bully off the track, it's Kimi.

53 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Four red flags in one qualifying event is a new record, which is quite impressive. Turns 3 and 15 catching people out when they've not really been a problem before is odd, suggesting that it's an issue with the aero design on the cars catching out the turning. I got the impression the cars were having to slow much more than in 2019 to get through the turns, and Stroll and Ricciardo were particularly at risk because they're both usually really got in Baku and the change caught them out.

It feels like we could be in for a lot of safety cars tomorrow unless the drivers manage to figure out those corners a bit better.

Red flag. If they call the race, Verstappen might still win, as the red flag takes effect from the end of the lap before the red flag was deployed. Some debate if that counts if they late-called the red flag.

3 laps to go and once they clear the debris there's no reason not to get going again though. If Hamilton wins, I think it'll be the jammiest win of his career. Hamilton's front wing had taken a pounding as well so being able to change that before it failed was really lucky.

Vettel will be very narked off if he gets jumped on a restart after one of his best races in years.

Pirelli are going to get roasted. You can't risk tyre failures and delaminations on the pit straight at Baku, you could easily kill someone outright. Max and Lance were very lucky not to have more serious problems. Lance could have gone up the wall and flipped over. 

Red Bull sent a priority message to Race Control telling them that Max's tyre went with absolutely 0 warning, which made them agree to red flag the race.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I turned the race on out of curiosity and am totally clueless as to what happened. F1 seems like something I could really get behind, but it's not promoted at all in the states.

To be honest F1 is a strange beast to get into nowadays (or even in the past, really) what with how vast the differences between the cars are and how Mercedes is slapping everyone into the ground with a vastly superior car and an extremely good (if annoyingly morose) driver. Who has absurd luck, as this race shows quite impressively. Take for example George Russell who is an amazing young driver who last year got the chance to switch with Hamilton and absolutely dominated the race, but with his actual team fails to get any points.

Though the Corona years have oddly become quite a bit more unpredictable and the Mercedes seems to suffer on street circuits, leveling the playing field a bit. And I must admit, I'm just here rooting for Vettel, the German four times champion whom Ferrari left to starve and who seems to have the time of his life with Aston Martin, who in this year seems to be a weaker midfield car that he managed to miraculously drag to third, overtaking his prodigious former Ferrari teammate while at it. I really hope he can make the most out of the restart...

Archived