Stayin' Alive - Covid-19 #10

Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, Hereward said:

The UK healthcare system has not been overwhelmed. At no point has the intensive care capacity been at 100%, even in London, which has been worst affected.

Let's see where we are in a couple of days, eh?

11 minutes ago, Hereward said:

The UK healthcare system has not been overwhelmed.

I can't tell if you're being serious here? Being overwhelmed is more than about bed occupancy rate in ICUs. I don't think you've been paying attention if you think the UK health system is not overwhelmed.

43 minutes ago, Ran said:

That R value has been achieved through the nature of Swedish society on the one hand (naturally given to being a bit more socially distant, many single-person households, etc.), and through the recommendations of the government being taken into consideration by the greater part of Swedish society.

So in a nutshell a society where people are naturally a bit... uh... cold toward one another, combined with solid discipline, and you can slow down the spread of the virus enough that you don't need confinement.

It's baffling at first, but come to think about it I did read that Italians' tendency to touch each other a lot could explain the rapid spread of the virus there.
As for France, even men who are close will exchange cheek kisses.

That's stuff to think about...

9 minutes ago, Hereward said:

The UK healthcare system has not been overwhelmed. At no point has the intensive care capacity been at 100%, even in London, which has been worst affected.

Sorry, don't mean to be disrepectful or inaccurate, just quoting...

http://www.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200327-volunteers-flock-to-help-british-nhs-to-support-coronavirus-response

The British government put out a call for volunteers on Tuesday to recruit 250,00 healthy adults to deliver supplies and help transport up to 1.5 million vulnerable people, after it imposed confinement measures telling people to stay home and closing all non-essential businesses.

[...]

London hospitals warned on Thursday they were overwhelmed with coronavirus patients. London, home to about a third of Britain’s total population, has become the epicenter of the epidemic in the country.

And that article is two weeks old already...

Just now, Rippounet said:

So in a nutshell a society where people are naturally a bit... uh... cold toward one another, combined with solid discipline, and you can slow down the spread of the virus enough that you don't need confinement.

It's baffling at first, but come to think about it I did read that Italians's tendency to touch each other a lot could explain the rapid spread of the virus there.
As for France, even men who are close will exchange cheek kisses.

That's stuff to think about...

Sorry, don't meen to disrepectful or innacurate, just quoting...

And that article is two weeks old already...

The death rate in northern Italy was huge in March because people were dying because there was no intensive care bed for them. That was why they were overwhelmed. The NHS has not been overwhelmed because there is still unused capacity. I cannot help RFI using hyperbole. Is the situation horrible and devastating for the NHS staff? Yes. But overwhelmed has a specific meaning outside “horrific and distressing”.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I can't tell if you're being serious here? Being overwhelmed is more than about bed occupancy rate in ICUs. I don't think you've been paying attention if you think the UK health system is not overwhelmed.

Or you just have a different idea of what overwhelmed means.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

This must tear apart the French fabric. 

I think I might have some Freedumb toast tomorrow, with some Freedumb fries, well, if I had bread or some frozen fries.

*shakes fists at France* 

Archived