Ken Scholes - Psalms of Isaak

Jaxom 1974

Well I did dig up the last thread I could find on all of this and its last post was dated around mid 2012...it's got three writes ups from Wert on the first three and nothing after that. Did people just give up on this series?

I know I did read book 4 in 2017...should have posted then, but I digress.  I never saw it in the stores and stumbled on it in the library.  I've never seen much in the way of copies of it for sale on Amazon either. 

But then, while searching out things for my Christmas wishlist, I found book 5, in hardcover, for not much at all, so I snatched it up.

Love this series still, warts and all.  Why did it not get as much love after the first couple?  The length of time getting it out?  I mean, the concept of the story was refreshing.  How and where it went...? Woof.

C'mon!

Tor Books made a big marketing push for the first volume. That much I remember. I read the first one, maybe the second, but I don't recall much about them. Not sure why I never read the rest of the series.

Can't say for sure if Scholes was part of the editorial fuck-up at Tor. I guess he just got lost in the noise while authors like Sanderson, Brett, etc, really took off.

Don't know that I was familiar with this series, but hearing you all describe it made me curious enough to order it.  I'm generally a new book only kind of guy, and I like to get things in the same format through the series... so that meant I have a couple used hardbacks coming to get all five books.

The first book was solid, the second book was better and then the third book fell off a cliff in quality (reminded me a bit of the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone trajectory). With the lengthy delays for the later books, I completely lost track of it, and I've forgotten way too much of it to want to finish it, and it wasn't interesting enough to warrant a reread.

I just re-checked my own reviews (more than ten years since I read the third book, apparently) and I remember virtually nothing about the series apart, vaguely, from the fantasy-robot character. And I think there was a fantasy version of a space elevator or something.

It was released back when these kind of fantasy-SF hybrids were much rarer, but they're all the rage now, with stronger authors working in the field (like Hurley and Muir).

Archived