Varys's Freudian slip, or another reason why Aegon might be legit

Alyn Oakenfist

10 hours ago, Muffin King said:

I hope it's never confirmed whether or not Aegon is the real deal, would be a good thing to ponder on.

You may get your wish sooner than you expect if Twow is scheduled to be released on the 13th of Nevermber, 2090.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 2:00 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

In AGoT, when Varys goes to visit Ned in the black cells, he mentions only Rhaenys to him and how she died. He never mentions Aegon even though it's his death Ned thinks of the most. 

In ACoK, there's a really tight parallel between Aegon/Rhaenys and Gendry/Barra and Varys's role in sending Gendry away, but keeping Barra in KL.

I like it. Varys is meant to be the one who spirited Aegon away, no?

Only problem i have is Cersei planned on pardoning Stark and having him sent to the Wall. (to keep the North out of the War). Varys is aware of this.

He's also aware that Stark is still a big political player at this point, as the North still have their full army intact, and he definitely has intentions / plans to recruit Eddard to the Aegon cause at a later date.

If I remember the scene, Cersei tries to stop the execution at the Sept of Baelor, and Joffrey & Ilyn Payne go through with it. Everyone throughout A Clash of Kings is telling Cersei & Joffrey how stupid they are for having Stark killed, and that they removed the only leverage they had on the North.

Cersei repeatedly tells Tyrion that the plan wasn't execution.

So Varys wouldn't mention Aegon as being "dead" in the black cells conversation, because he has his "Aegon". but he does want to invoke sympathy for Rhaenys & her babe (the Targaryens), who is meant to be his family, which could influence Eddard's decision in supporting, or at least not opposing Aegon.

2 hours ago, lrresistable said:

So Varys wouldn't mention Aegon as being "dead" in the black cells conversation, because he has his "Aegon". but he does want to invoke sympathy for Rhaenys & her babe (the Targaryens)

As I said, Freudian slip. He merely passes over them but makes the mistake of saying Elia and her babe as opposed to Elia and her babes

3 hours ago, lrresistable said:

Only problem i have is Cersei planned on pardoning Stark and having him sent to the Wall. (to keep the North out of the War). Varys is aware of this.

He's also aware that Stark is still a big political player at this point, as the North still have their full army intact, and he definitely has intentions / plans to recruit Eddard to the Aegon cause at a later date.

Varys is aware of this, but he is also playing his own game.

And unless he was planning on kidnapping Ned while he was en route for the Wall, then Ned was headed to the Wall and would have had no further involvement in the politics of the realm or the north.

It's the new Warden of the North that Varys needs to bring to his cause, not the old one. 

1 hour ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Varys is aware of this, but he is also playing his own game.

And unless he was planning on kidnapping Ned while he was en route for the Wall, then Ned was headed to the Wall and would have had no further involvement in the politics of the realm or the north.

It's the new Warden of the North that Varys needs to bring to his cause, not the old one. 

The potential kidnapping is interesting, since Varys is the prime suspect behind several "heir and a spare" disappearances.  (notably Tygett's son during a riot going on in KL)

An Eddard on his way to The Wall likely surrounded by a ton of Lannister guardsmen, while we can't say for sure,, i'm positive he'd get Robb & Catelyn to pack off back North if he could come to an Armistice with Tywin regarding his actions in the Riverlands.

Tywin at this point still has to deal with Renly's "100K" Southron host and Stannis looming on Dragonstone to secure King's Landing. Getting the Riverlanders to swear fealty to Joffrey, the Northerner's to pack off home after their vows and keeping the Vale out of the war would've been crucial.

Stark would eventually end up at The Wall and Varys would perhaps find a friend for Aegon in Robb a few years down this "alternate timeline".

Archived