Golf: The Majors and Minors 2021

Tywin et al.

Need to do something to stop such huge home court advantage. Prepping the courses to suit playing style was fine when it used to be close, it's been a while since a proper close match.  I can only think of 2 in about 20 years where it wasn't one team dominating. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

34 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Need to do something to stop such huge home court advantage. Prepping the courses to suit playing style was fine when it used to be close, it's been a while since a proper close match.  I can only think of 2 in about 20 years where it wasn't one team dominating. 

I don’t think it’s the conditions. Most of the players are playing on pretty similar courses for most of the year these days. I think it’s the home crowds that are the big factor. It’s just a pretty alien situation for golfers to experience such vociferous crowds. Even at the majors where there are big crowds you don’t really get fans wanting players to miss their shots, they’re basically there just to support good golf. The Ryder Cup’s just at a different level to everything else.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I don’t think it’s the conditions. Most of the players are playing on pretty similar courses for most of the year these days. I think it’s the home crowds that are the big factor. It’s just a pretty alien situation for golfers to experience such vociferous crowds. Even at the majors where there are big crowds you don’t really get fans wanting players to miss their shots, they’re basically there just to support good golf. The Ryder Cup’s just at a different level to everything else.

Ding, ding, ding. 

I didn't watch much of the action, but what I did see was an unusual home court advantage that doesn't happen at the majors. Fans were openly hostile to the Americans. Same shit happens when it's played here for the Europeans. And to be clear I think that's okay. The solution is to treat golf like other sports and make fan participation more common. Same goes for tennis.