Jupiter‘s Legacy

Arakan

28 minutes ago, red snow said:

Yeah, in the UK I'm still glad that the police are rarely armed. There's still cases of unnecessary force but at least it's a lot harder to kill someone without a gun.

I guess that's sort of the point the show/Utopian is trying to make. If you have that amount of power it'd be easy to just kill everyone claiming it's the safest option/saves most lives. And that is a slippery slope.

That's really not the point. It's that you don't kill even if your life is in danger or others are in danger of losing their life and there is always another way. It has almost nothing to do with actual power had or owned. 

On 5/13/2021 at 6:00 PM, polishgenius said:

I really do want a six-or-so-movie arc based (loosely) on Warren Ellis' run on Stormwatch, Bendis' fall, the rise of the Authority based on Ellis' run but more overtly political than the deliberatly-watered-down-in-protest-at-low-Stormwatch-sales stuff he did, then skipping over the shit Millar etc runs and going straight into  Authority: Revolution.

For a second there I thought I'd missed a storm watch story arc by Brian Michael bendis :)

the arcs leading into the authority were great. The "villains" essentially took over. 

the recent "wildstorm" by Ellis was good too.

On 5/13/2021 at 5:47 PM, Ran said:

II suspect the terms for the creators on those early Wildstorm titles were too lucrative, meaning WB will prefer exploring IP they have more financial stake in.

That is possible. They can probably use them in comics without any pay outs but there's a chance the original creators (or wildstorm) sold the rights long before DC got hold of them.

I'm on episode 6 now and the show really isn't clicking for me. I actually think Chloe is one of the more interesting characters if her story is going anywhere. 

I think the flashbacks would have been better if it covered all the history these characters were involved in and just one episode on them receiving powers. But it seems they are intent on dragging the flashbacks out.

I'm also wary about the strong suggestion time travel is central to the plot

1 minute ago, red snow said:

For a second there I thought I'd missed a storm watch story arc by Brian Michael bendis :)

the arcs leading into the authority were great. The "villains" essentially took over. 

the recent "wildstorm" by Ellis was good too.

It's proven a great crew for interpretation and re-invention. Okay, the new-52 stuff was rubbish initially but the Midnighter and Appolo and the Midnighter series' were class (the first arc of the Midnighter solo in particular), and even that otherwise utterly dreadful post-apocalyptic Wildstorm reboot they did, the stuff Abnett and Lanning did for the Authority had some class ideas.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:19 PM, polishgenius said:

It's proven a great crew for interpretation and re-invention. Okay, the new-52 stuff was rubbish initially but the Midnighter and Appolo and the Midnighter series' were class (the first arc of the Midnighter solo in particular), and even that otherwise utterly dreadful post-apocalyptic Wildstorm reboot they did, the stuff Abnett and Lanning did for the Authority had some class ideas.

It's sort of coming back with Superman in charge with Morrison on board (Hopefully more successful than their previous attempt at Authority although they admit it was a scheduling disaster)

Finished the show and the last episode was ok but definitely felt more like mid season than season finale (although the show admits this is part 1). The origin was so dull as was the "trial" they went through.

I also conflated two characters, bluebolt and skyfox until the last episode. I think i got mixed up by the fact skyfox's son had bluebolts "bolt".

Sadly I saw the villain reveal from the first episode.

I think I'll call it a day on the show though. It's too CW/arrowverse for my liking and found myself not caring if my attention wandered throughout. I've mentioned it earlier but if they'd dedicated the flashbacks to cover key points in their alt history eg wars, assassinations, civil rights movements, the next generation of superpeople it would have been much more interesting. 

Then there was the fact they didn't spend that much time on the superheroes - I honestly had no idea what the Union and paragon's gang were doing/who they were and what their powers were. Then there was the dabbling in super-celebrity but they only scratched the surface (hopefully "the boys" spin-off will do a better job of this). I think that's what my problem was - several ideas that could have made for a good show but had no real depth. It was as if the creators wanted to make a superhero Indiana Jones/King Kong/The mummy mash up period piece but could only sell it to netflix under the guise of a superhero show.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it's being cancelled - all the cast are being released from their commitments and Netflix is picking up another Millarverse thing (Supercrooks). 

Also, @Ran - regarding how cheap it looked and budget issues - apparently it cost something like $200 MILLION to do, including reshoots, so they spent a whole lot of money making it look slightly better than an average ep of Arrow.

I am at a loss to imagine how it cost that much. Reshoots are mentioned -- did they basically films it four times over?

If the claim is true, I expect since sort of tell-all about it.

Just read that this was a very troubled production, with Steven S. DeKnight leaving his output deal with Netflix, and his showrunner duties, in the middle of the shoot. Oof. So they ended up apparently massively reworking and reshooting the show. Depending on how bad that was, they could easily double the cost of the production.

On further reflection, and reading up a bit more on Netflix's Millarworld deal and the number of different projects they put into development -- including The Magic Order which was in pre-production when the pandemic hit and Netflix had second thoughts -- I'm going to guess that the $200 million that is being put down as the cost of Jupiter's Legacy is basically dumping all the costs of the Millarworld deal (minimum $30 million) and the development and pre-production costs of everything else into the JL production budget (and marketing budget, I guess, but the show had practically no marketing to speak of near as I can tell). Which is how Hollywood likes to do things when they're looking for a write-off. 

Also, liked the reporter's remark about Millar. He is one of the most shameless self-promoters the comics industry has ever seen, so no surprise there that he's spinning hard on what's happened.

Archived