The Mud Mouse: Symbolism of Ser Shadrich / Howland Reed.

Sandy Clegg

I call your thread title “symbolism of Ser Shadrich / Howland Reed” fake news! 
:commie:

I suppose that means I’m  in the naysayer camp. But I agree W/ the points made by  @Aejohn the Conqueroo & @Nevets. And when you get to not only Shadrich is HH but the other bloke is Sandor… I mean, we’re getting to the point where no one is who they claim to be, and everyone and their dog (intended) is someone other than we’re told. I do think there are lots of minor characters that serve as parallels and even stand-ins, w/o having to have yet another secret identity. 

Edited by kissdbyfire

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

But I agree W/ the points made by  @Aejohn the Conqueroo & @Nevets. And when you get to not only Shadrich is HH but the other bloke is Sandor…

I'm not worried about how GRRM will bring in Howland Reed into the story, or Sandor either if he decides to write that too.  He's pretty talented and doesn't have to resort to these conjurer's tricks.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:47 PM, kissdbyfire said:

I do think there are lots of minor characters that serve as parallels and even stand-ins, w/o having to have yet another secret identity. 

You could argue either way to a very large extent, though, with the sheer number of character in these books. And we're in danger of ascribing quotas if we try to do math on this, which I don't know is useful. It'll all come down to the author's taste in the end.

Plus, from my recent rereads I've realised that, yes - there are far more parallels and stand-ins than I thought possible a few years ago. But this then brings up that question  - they can't all be parallels. Some are bound to be characters hiding in plain sight - Shadrcih being suspect numero uno by a country mile.