[Poll] How would you rate episode 109?

Ran

How would you rate episode 109?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

I wonder of of this episode would be better received if there wasn't an expectation of an episode 9 event like its predecessor.

This episode had a very washed out/desaturated look to it to emphasise the passing of Viserys. I wonder how effective it was given the season long complaints about the self-serious and dour tone that the show has adapted.

I actually liked that the the small council already having planned for Viserys' death, after all, if the audience has been going on about when exactly is he going to die, why wouldn't the characters in universe do the same and act accordingly? And Alicent now knows she's been left out of this gentleman's club, and so seeks to gain agency by taking command of how the blacks should be dealt with. Somehow Alicent still believes that a war can be avoided without assassinating the blacks, but also knows that the blacks aren't going to accept Rhaenyra being passed over, so... right now is not the best time to be compartmentalising different courses of action against your self-righteousness.

Who was Mysaria's Brienne waiting for years for Sansa, I mean Talya, to light the candles to signify Viserys' death? The Cargyll's and Criston/Aemond look for the Prince in the degenerate slums of Flea Bottom, only for him to be hidden in a clean and honourable establishment. Don't think I didn't notice what you were doing with the imagery there Sara and Clare.

When found out, Aegon wants his mother, but when told that he's being delivered to his grandfather, Aegon makes a run of it. When Criston tells him that he's being delivered to his mother, he complies without hesitation. What does everyone here make of that?

I'm of the opinion that Helaena believes that the beast beneath the boards is Aegon, given her refusal to look at him during the coronation, while she stared straight at the Red Queen, which I also interpret as her preferring death over continuing to live with the greens. As for Rhaenys at the end of the episode, I dunno, the only thing that came to mind was how ridiculous the whole storming of the dragon pit event is, as mentioned in the other thread.

Other observations:

There are two among the captain of the City Watch that remain loyal to Daemon. I'm assuming one of them goes by the name Blood? 

I like the idea of maybe having Aemond using the Battle of Rook's Rest as a cover to take out Aegon.

Are the green agents really incognito when looking for Aegon? Particularly Aemond and his eyepatch and platinum hair?

How much did the conversation between Alicent and Rhaenys play a factor in Rhaenys deciding not to incinerate all the greens?

Otto meeting up with Mysaria incognito and yet he still has on his hand of the king lapel pin. SMH, these greens are pathetically incompetent. 

Gave it a 7/10.

On 10/18/2022 at 4:32 PM, DMC said:

Again, Larys having a foot fetish is not what I can't believe is a thing.  Indeed, "the clubfoot" having a foot fetish comes off as rather trite and tacky.  What I can't believe is a thing is the show feeling the need to show Larys jacking off to Alicent's feet.  I really don't need to see that.

Sorry to butt in but just jumping off from your post, the problem to me is really in giving this fetish to a disabled character whose disability is his foot. It's honestly quite....weird that they even included this in his character. And on top of it all, he's been portrayed as kinslaying evil. It's just a bad combination of "the disabled guy is very evil and also has a foot fetish". I don't know if I'm making myself clear but it feels too much when his character could be more nuanced.

2 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

It's just a bad combination of "the disabled guy is very evil and also has a foot fetish". I don't know if I'm making myself clear but it feels too much when his character could be more nuanced.

Yeah I think we're on the same page and this was what I was trying to express by calling it tacky and trite. 

Well wasn’t this a hard fall after episode 8. Bleeding from a thousand cuts with virtually nobody to carry it, poor unfortunate episode barely scarped a generous 6/10 together from me. Seriously 90% of this episode was a joke or a filler. The remaining 10% was the ghost of Viserys and Aemond.