Cricket 44: Abrar-Cadabra

Denvek

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

I can smell the regret in the horizon

It feels a bit harsh on him in general considering his contribution to getting the side to the final but, honestly, I doubt they're going to get much use out of two spinners at the Oval relatively early in the season. It's probably the right call.

ETA: Decent start for India, Shami and Siraj have been tormenting the batsmen, but only picking up the one wicket is a bit of an issue.

Edited by ljkeane

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

Pretty poor day for India after a decent start. Hopefully they can bounce back and make a good match of it still. 

Head and Smith were in ominous form, I suspect this isn't going to be the last century we're going to see Head score this summer.

Signs as well that Smith is returning to the peak of his powers, which must be triggering for England. He's managed to keep his test average over 60 despite a slight dip in form since the pandemic.

Kohli meanwhile has seen his average dip below 50 (currently at 48.9) and has a poor test record since COVID. 

Edited by Paxter

13 hours ago, Paxter said:

Signs as well that Smith is returning to the peak of his powers, which must be triggering for England. He's managed to keep his test average over 60 despite a slight dip in form since the pandemic.

Yesterday’s man, you can’t be going at a strike rate of 45 in the Bazball era. :P

On the other hand Scott Boland currently going at zero runs for one wicket in England is a little concerning. 

ETA: India are in big trouble here. They’re staring down the barrel of an embarrassing defeat if they don’t put a solid partnership together soon.

Edited by ljkeane

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yesterday’s man, you can’t be going at a strike rate of 45 in the Bazball era. :P

On the other hand Scott Boland currently going at zero runs for one wicket in England is a little concerning. 

ETA: India are in big trouble here. They’re staring down the barrel of an embarrassing defeat if they don’t put a solid partnership together soon.

“Doesn’t matter how you get them, just matters how many”.

I’d take Smith over any Bazball initiates :P.

8 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It was a poor performance, particularly to have two dismissals bowled when not playing a shot.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Warner gone early. I wonder whether he has done enough to get an Ashes berth...

I thought he actually did quite well in the first innings to be fair. He definitely had the toughest period of the match so far to bat in and pretty much got Australia through it, the dismissal was fairly unlucky too.

Labuschagne is looking very uncomfortable here.

ETA: Come on. This is a bit ridiculous the spectator has paid for his seat (presumably), he’s allowed to sit there wearing a red shirt if he wants ffs. Smith should just be told to suck it up and get on with it.

Edited by ljkeane

You'd think with a lead of 300 and India missing the brilliance of Pant - this match is pretty much over.

Australia definitely making a case that they could snag a rare away Ashes win. They seem to have most of their bases covered - defensive batting (Smith, Marnus), in-form aggressive batting (Head), all-rounder (Green) and a varied attack. 

I really hope Moeen's return to tests is a good one. 

9 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Labuschagne is looking very uncomfortable here.

Labuschagne apparently trying to have a nap on the balcony and then being woken up by the crowd celebrating Warner's dismissal was amusing.

I think definitely the best day of the Test for India so far, with Rahane and Thakur providing some good fight with the bat and then the bowlers causing some problems for the Australian batsmen but it might be too little too late, Australia's lead is already very significant.

18 hours ago, Paxter said:

You'd think with a lead of 300 and India missing the brilliance of Pant - this match is pretty much over.

444 to win does look a bit unlikely but we have seen some big chases to win in recent times. Sharma and Gill are giving it a good go anyway.

As I was typing this Gill is out to a brilliant catch from Green. I’m not really sure why it took so much time to give it.