Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Novels for 9-12 year olds

Gaston de Foix

9 minutes ago, Maia said:

Oh, really? Thanks! I didn't consider him because I thought that he would be particularly difficult to translate well for this very reason - humor is hard. Though, I guess, his popularity may have earned him better effort.  Do all of his books have the same translator? I guess that  Tiffany Aiching arc and Maurice would be the logical places to begin - did you read them in German? If not, which of the books that you read in German would you recommend as a starting point?

I started reading with a collection of the first 4 Rincewind books(an earlier release of this book) and afterward I read chronologically based on release date. I enjoyed them a lot in my mid/late teens in German. The YAish books were released after I switched to the originals. Difficult to say if I would enjoy them now after I read the originals but back in the day they were among my favourite books. I mean I loved the German dub of Star Trek as a kid/teen but I could not watch the stuff after TOS dubbed nowadays. I still dig the dub of TOS though.

I have only read the translations by Andreas Brandhorst who translated most of the books by Pratchett until 2007.   Brandhorst is an SF author and the translations supplemented his income. He is now one one of the most successful German SF authors and he stopped translating but that was after I switched to reading the originals. They even translated some of the older books again and I have no idea how those translations are.

Thanks. Yea, Rincewind isn't going to fly with her - an adult male protagonist who mainly interacts  with other men, IIRC, and the humor wasn't as good as in the later books as well as  heavily relied on allusions to various tropes that would be opaque to her.

I guess that I'll check the library for Tiffany/Maurice and see the translation quality for myself.

I feel you re: dubs. Though they tend to be mediocre rather than atrocious, thankfully. I watched everything Star Trek up to and including Voyager dubbed back in the day, it was OK, but I wouldn't chose to do so again given the alternatives that exist nowadays. But the guy who voiced Picard seems to be in everything localised even now, it is most distracting.

1 hour ago, Maia said:

Thanks. Yea, Rincewind isn't going to fly with her - an adult male protagonist who mainly interacts  with other men, IIRC, and the humor wasn't as good as in the later books as well as  heavily relied on allusions to various tropes that would be opaque to her.

I guess that I'll check the library for Tiffany/Maurice and see the translation quality for myself.

I feel you re: dubs. Though they tend to be mediocre rather than atrocious, thankfully. I watched everything Star Trek up to and including Voyager dubbed back in the day, it was OK, but I wouldn't chose to do so again given the alternatives that exist nowadays. But the guy who voiced Picard seems to be in everything localised even now, it is most distracting.

Fun fact they actually had two main voice actors during the series. They switched about half way through and also few others for a handful of episodes and some stuff they redid for VHS and DVDs. Both have hundreds of voice credits each and there is a 3rd who dubbed Stewart in the most recent X-Men related stuff who currently has ~1500 voice credits. All 3 sound somewhat similar when they dub Stewart. Two of them have also dubbed Antony Hopkins. Some of the more prolific German voice actors are in an insane amount of content.

4 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

All 3 sound somewhat similar when they dub Stewart. Two of them have also dubbed Antony Hopkins.

Huh, I didn't know that. I guess that they all sound the same to me even when they dub other actors, because it feels like Picard voice shows up half the time when I watch some dubbed  content on TV.

4 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Some of the more prolific German voice actors are in an insane amount of content.

Yea, it seems like a small group of voices is doing everything. Long live OVs!

4 minutes ago, Maia said:

Huh, I didn't know that. I guess that they all sound the same to me even when they dub other actors, because it feels like Picard voice shows up half the time when I watch some dubbed  content on TV.

Yea, it seems like a small group of voices is doing everything. Long live OVs!

I was really surprised when I learned that Picards voice got switched myself!

Indeed long live OVs

27 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

No, I don't think so.  What did you have in mind?

Maximillian Fly

The Hunger games or Maze runner 

His Dark materials 

I'd say a few others I read at that age but I don't want any other kids to lose their innocence prematurely. 

• 1 month later...

For any child willing to try books that are now seriously ancient, I loved L. Frank Baum's Oz books when I was a child. 

And one of my favorite fantasy novels of all time, though now rather obscure, is An Edge of the Forest by Agnes Smith. I remember that as being by far the best "animal fantasy" I've ever read. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oz_books

https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Forest-Agnes-Smith/dp/0870121715

I just got a thank you note from one of the tweens in my life for their Christmas books.  One book in particular was singled out.  He wrote:

"I'm especially enjoying 'The Dark Lord of Derkholm' (by Dianna Wynne Jones).  It's a bit sweary at times but really immersive and very fun to read."

I had to laugh at the 'sweary' call out as I don't remember that at all.  But I guess more importantly, he was reading it and enjoying it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watership Down maybe? Since there was mention of German translations, go for reverse with Neverending Story?

But then if she's already read all the Potter, then she's definitely old enough for the Hobbit, or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or many of Jules Verne books. And if she's old enough for Dark is Rising or His Dark materials, odds are that she's old enough for LOTR.

With most Pratchett books, it's not that they're too "adult" for young readers, they're innocuous enough for any young one to read them before even LOTR, but it's that 90% of all references and many jokes will just go over the head of a too-young reader, so I really have no idea how much and how well a 10-11 y old would appreciate most of them.

Archived