Was Jeyne Westerling marked for death or captivity?

Probably Walder kust wanted to know Roslin was captured and not roaming somewhere possibly pregnant. But possibly there is something sinister in his question and he would have preferred killing her. His alliance is with Tywin rather than the Westerlings, Tywin's not going to break it over Roslin's death.

The reason they were happy to kill Raynald was because Raynald started to fight them in order to save Grey WInd, and he was known to be a particular friend of Robb's anyway. There was probably no order on high to kill him, just the men on the ground trying to kill Grey WInd and he challenged them

14 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

It just seems unnecessary cruel and shortsighted even for Walder. Like what's the plan? Marry her off? Keep her pouring the wine around the twins? She'd spearwife the husband on their honeymoon. Or just keep her locked up like some kinda Reek? And used for sport like some kinda Pia?. Vindictiveness on the smug is fun and all that, but I think the plan for Cat was simply to keep the riverlords in line because shes one of their leaders, not like a Ramsay hunt or whatever.

I don't think she's too old, she's like mid 30s I thought. But yea, the whole point is her inheritance is over.

Lol that's true 

She could a bride for Tywin or mistress for LF.  In fact, the latter could enjoy both mother and daughter.

Definitely death. I think Walder would have wanted to kill Jeyne and make Robb watch. He's that petty and cruel. The Freys didn't know about the arrangement between Tywin and Sybelle. I think the only clear instructions Tywin gave for the Red Wedding was that Robb had to die and Edmure and Catelyn were to be taken hostage. He might have given vague instructions regarding the "lesser" Houses, but he probably didn't really care. Remember when he says that he didn't think to mention Elia Martell to Gregor Clegane when he told him to kill her children? That might be a lie, but it might not be. Tywin did not fear the Westerlings because they're poor, so I doubt he would have cared enough to give the Freys clear instructions. There are plenty of examples in the books of the Lannisters not delivering on what they promised.

3 minutes ago, Lady Ella said:

Remember when he says that he didn't think to mention Elia Martell to Gregor Clegane when he told him to kill her children? That might be a lie, but it might not be. 

That was absolutely a lie. He knew full well what he was doing when he sent Ser Gregor after Elia Martell. Oberyn made that point clear enough; Tywin bragged to the Martells that Cersei was meant for  Rhaegar, and then he marries Elia Martell instead? Tywin definitely took that personal. He can say whatever he wants, maybe he's even convinced himself, but I don't doubt for a second that he was a malicious and utterly vindictive man on Walder Frey's level.

16 minutes ago, James Steller said:

That was absolutely a lie. He knew full well what he was doing when he sent Ser Gregor after Elia Martell. Oberyn made that point clear enough; Tywin bragged to the Martells that Cersei was meant for  Rhaegar, and then he marries Elia Martell instead? Tywin definitely took that personal. He can say whatever he wants, maybe he's even convinced himself, but I don't doubt for a second that he was a malicious and utterly vindictive man on Walder Frey's level.

I agree with that.

Because Sybelle is such a minor character, I hadn’t realised what a truly vile person she is, prior to this discussion.

Wicked people usually care somewhat about their children in this world (unless they’re Craster). Walder Frey does, for example.  She, on the other hand, has no qualms about sacrificing them for gain.

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I agree with that.

Because Sybelle is such a minor character, I hadn’t realised what a truly vile person she is, prior to this discussion.

Wicked people usually care somewhat about their children in this world (unless they’re Craster). Walder Frey does, for example.  She, on the other hand, has no qualms about sacrificing them for gain.

Walder doesn't care either. He was quite happy to watch Jinglebell die.

Archived