Names or nicknames, Preferences?

Hugorfonics

Robb isn't a terrible name but I prefer to call him the Young Wolf, and Jaime is a nice name plus I know a few in real life but kingslayer is way cooler. Tyrion is a cool name and I definitely have never met a real one, but I'm a huge fan of the name the Imp. 

I also don't have a problem with Petyr or Sam and in fact find myself using their names more then Littlefinger or Slayer despite them both being way better names. Sweetrobin sounds like something you'd call a cute kid/son/cousin but I find Lord Robert to be creeps and strange plus I find humor in the title lord and the great name Robert to be associated with this little punk. Aegon I think is also way cooler then Youn Griff (which is still a great name) but I really don't like fAegon. I mean he is not the son of Rheagar but I still don't care for it for some reason. Although fArya isn't bad, but maybe thats because there's too many Jeynes as is.

What names do you like? Ned or Eddard? Cat or Catelyn? Dany or Daenerys? (Or khallissi!)

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Robb isn't a terrible name but I prefer to call him the Young Wolf, and Jaime is a nice name plus I know a few in real life but kingslayer is way cooler. Tyrion is a cool name and I definitely have never met a real one, but I'm a huge fan of the name the Imp. 

I also don't have a problem with Petyr or Sam and in fact find myself using their names more then Littlefinger or Slayer despite them both being way better names. Sweetrobin sounds like something you'd call a cute kid/son/cousin but I find Lord Robert to be creeps and strange plus I find humor in the title lord and the great name Robert to be associated with this little punk. Aegon I think is also way cooler then Youn Griff (which is still a great name) but I really don't like fAegon. I mean he is not the son of Rheagar but I still don't care for it for some reason. Although fArya isn't bad, but maybe thats because there's too many Jeynes as is.

What names do you like? Ned or Eddard? Cat or Catelyn? Dany or Daenerys? (Or khallissi!)

Try writing an essay on Brandons. It's giving me a headache :rofl: There's Bran. There's the Builder, but there's the legend version and then there's a historical man who founded House Stark and was involved with the Wall - and early on I deconstruct the legend and argue that man never laid a stone of anything in his life. So, I'm loathe to refer to him as the Builder. There's a Brandon of the Bloody Blade and Bran's uncle Brandon Stark who loved bloody swords. Oh and Brynden is also Brandon. Not only do I want to refer to them individually, I also want to point out their commonalities. In both cases I'm inventing my own acronyms and nicknames. So, I think I will have to add a lexicon at the start, so people don't end up confusing them.

To answer your question

• Ned for Eddard, but Edric for Dayne
  • Cat
  • Dany
  • Samwell (I use Sam only in certain cases)
  • Littlefinger (LF)
  • Sweetrobin
  • Aegon VI
  • No issue with fArya, though I do lean towards Jeyne Poole
  • Mel
  • Jon over Snow, and I rarely talk or write about Jon Arryn, so it's no biggy to add Arryn if necessary
  • Tyrion
  • Jaime
  • Edd (for Dolorous Edd)
  • Damphair over Aeron

I almost always use real names instead of nicknames.  The main exceptions are Sweetrobin and Littlefinger, and that's largely because they're usually called that in the books.  I sometimes use Baelish instead of Littlefinger (never Petyr), especially if I'm feeling official.  I almost always use Sandor instead of the Hound.

Ned and Sam I use the short version, otherwise it's usually full name, like Daenerys.  I usually use Aegon; sometimes Young Griff mainly to avoid confusion.  FArya and Jeyne Poole I use both; FArya if she's acting as the fake, Jeyne otherwise and in speculation about the future.

I've occasionally used Young Wolf.  I've never used Kingslayer, the Usurper, the Imp, or khaleesi.

Some aliases are better, reader-wise, than the real names provided. Think about 'the Greatjon', Dunk, 'the Hound' (or just Clegane; the TV show made that way or refering to Sandor more attractive).

Others are quite interesting, such as the 'Leech lord' provided to Roose Bolton. With all the theories that pose him as an immortal, vampire like character, the fact that in-world he is actually called 'leech' (as in LICH) is... really, really interesting.

50 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Try writing an essay on Brandons. It's giving me a headache :rofl: There's Bran. There's the Builder, but there's the legend version and then there's a historical man who founded House Stark and was involved with the Wall - and early on I deconstruct the legend and argue that man never laid a stone of anything in his life. So, I'm loathe to refer to him as the Builder. There's a Brandon of the Bloody Blade and Bran's uncle Brandon Stark who loved bloody swords. Oh and Brynden is also Brandon. Not only do I want to refer to them individually, I also want to point out their commonalities. In both cases I'm inventing my own acronyms and nicknames. So, I think I will have to add a lexicon at the start, so people don't end up confusing them

You sound like Old Nan lol.

Yea Brynden, totally Brandon too! Both Bryndens have badass names. Ones cooler then the next, yet for some reason I like calling them Brynden lol. 

(The builder wasn't a builder?

Looking forward to the essay, lexicon and all)

53 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

To answer your question

• Ned for Eddard, but Edric for Dayne
  • Cat
  • Dany
  • Samwell (I use Sam only in certain cases)
  • Littlefinger (LF)
  • Sweetrobin
  • Aegon VI
  • No issue with fArya, though I do lean towards Jeyne Poole
  • Mel
  • Jon over Snow, and I rarely talk or write about Jon Arryn, so it's no biggy to add Arryn if necessary
  • Tyrion
  • Jaime
  • Edd (for Dolorous Edd)
  • Damphair over Aeron

Ooh Samwell!

Yea, I love Mel. No idea why lol, I think it's a pretty name tho 

I usually go JonA or JonC (although Griff is a way better name) (and John the fiddler, not Daemon the whatever, but how often does he come up?)

For some I reason I dig Aeron. Balon is also a cool name and the one I use, but I love the Reaver

56 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I almost always use real names instead of nicknames.  The main exceptions are Sweetrobin and Littlefinger, and that's largely because they're usually called that in the books.  I sometimes use Baelish instead of Littlefinger (never Petyr), especially if I'm feeling official.

He goes by Petyr alot too tho. I think the ratio is about Imp/Kingslayer level

57 minutes ago, Nevets said:

the Usurper

The usurper! Nice! 

Yea so negative. Although so is imp kingslayer and littlefinger. It's funny out of all these disparaging remarks I think LF gets the most offended then the Kingslayer then the Usurper and finally the Imp, when it should be completely the other way around. 

51 minutes ago, Jon Fossoway said:

Think about 'the Greatjon', Dunk

I don't think I even know the Greatjons real name lol.

Yea Dunks ok, I usually go with that I think over Duncan. Ser Tall?

100% of the time Egg is Egg though 

48 minutes ago, Jon Fossoway said:

the Hound

Omg the hound! Way cooler then Sandor, even tho I think I still usually go with Sandor. Gregor is a dope name too, but I almost always go with the Mountain. Sometimes even the Mountain that Rides, because it's such a great name

50 minutes ago, Jon Fossoway said:

Others are quite interesting, such as the 'Leech lord' provided to Roose Bolton.

Yea that's a great one! The fandom (and myself) doesn't utilize that nickname enough imo

OK, I have one.   I vacillate between The Hound pre AFFC and Sandor after, sort of like the books do.  Lame, but true.  It's always frickin' Littlefinger.  I am still not really sure how to spell Dany out.  Dae..Danae?  Dany.  I call Jamie Kinglsayer when I crush on him.  Does anyone call Sansa Alayne?  Never have done that.  Can't ever remember the brat's name so he's always Sweetrobert in my head.  

33 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

OK, I have one.   I vacillate between The Hound pre AFFC and Sandor after, sort of like the books do.  Lame, but true

Oh nice! 

I usually try to choose my Theons or Reeks based on the time and state of mind too

34 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I am still not really sure how to spell Dany out.  Dae..Danae?  Dany. 

Oh Targaryen names are the worst. It's a miracle I can even spell Targaryen.

35 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I call Jamie Kinglsayer when I crush on him. 

So, like always :P

36 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Does anyone call Sansa Alayne?  Never have done that

Oh I love Alayne. Kinda like Theon I go by her state of mind. 

It's never Hugor, although I am a fan of the name (obviously). But, Yolo? Are you fucking kidding me? On his second life? Phenomenal 

With Dunk, that is his actual name, so far as we can tell. It's what everyone's always called him as long as he can remember. It's Egg who assumes his name is Duncan and he starts using that to sound more respectable once he starts holding himself out as a knight.

As a rule I only use names that are actually in the books (never fArya, or unGregor, and certainly never fAegon, the last in particular being objectionable in part because so hypothetical) and usually where more convenient, less ambiguous or more neutral.

For instance, names like Sweetrobin, the Greatjon, Black Walder I consider effectively essential shorthand for characters with common names that would otherwise be confusing.

Where a name is familiarly shortened in the books (Ned, Sam, Dany) I tend to use that but don't ysually make up my own - except for Robert Baratheon (Bob, Bobby, Bobbo) because that amuses me.

"The Kingslayer" is more cumbersome to type and say and also more pejorative than just "Jaime". I don't see any reason not to use his name. Ditto "the Imp", "the Usurper" (only one for the Dany stans anyway), etc. 

The principal exceptions are Littlefinger, probably because that name seems to see so much more use than "Petyr" and Baelish seems overly formal for someone we see so much, and I do find myself slipping into calling Sandor "the Hound" a bit. 

There are also obviously some characters where the nickname basically is, or seems an indispensible part of, the name. The Tickler, Rattleshirt (more immediately distinctive than "Lord of Bones"), the Blue Bard, Strong Belwas, etc. Obviously I use the nickname in such cases.

12 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

Littlefinger, probably because that name seems to see so much more use than "Petyr"

I was curious so I just went to a search of ice and fire. In books 1-5 Petyr is mentioned 295 times. Littlefinger is 300. 

So there is more LF, but not much

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

What do you make of the whole Mannis camp?   It's always been Stannis with me but I do get a kick out of seeing other folks call him Stannis the Mannis.  To be honest, it is surprising it's still in use.  

That ringed to me more of a show thing. I rarely saw that nickname on, err, "geekheaded" fans forums like these one. Saw it a lot on YT's  Stannis' TV show scenes, though.

50 minutes ago, Jon Fossoway said:

That ringed to me more of a show thing. I rarely saw that nickname on, err, "geekheaded" fans forums like these one. Saw it a lot on YT's  Stannis' TV show scenes, though.

Nah, it was here back when I was only lurking.  Bryndenbfish is a big Stannis fan, though I saw it here before I ever ran across his essays.  

19 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

. . .

I never understood the admiration for Stannis...

It rhymes with Mannis, duh.

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

What do you make of the whole Mannis camp?   It's always been Stannis with me but I do get a kick out of seeing other folks call him Stannis the Mannis.  To be honest, it is surprising it's still in use.  

Yea Mannis is old as hell. It's fun, I like it. The more names the better I say. 

I don't really use it myself personally tho... Tbh I always picture like, a manatee. (Not that I know what a manatee looks like mind you, but I assume it's like some type of fish walrus?) So, a rather amusing image whenever I hear of it. Which isn't bad, but Id feel funny writing it out

28 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

. . .

I never understood the admiration for Stannis...

It's because hes the man! Lol

The admiration is a bit much, I agree. Although I think the same thing about Jaime and I definitely think the same about Robert and Ned who are perceived as like, gods. So whateves.

But Stannis is complex, hypocritical yet still a patron of justice. Even if it's unintentional. Plus hes funny

Archived