House Farwynd: Insane? Or Visionaries?

Fringes. They are geographically located in the frontier of the known world. Frontier people are usually particular. The ironborn themselves are considered half insane by westerosi inlanders.

I believe time and isolation -and probably inbreeding- have made them more or less a microculture of its own inside an already isolated culture.

Edited by Jon Fossoway

11 minutes ago, Jon Fossoway said:

Fringes. They are geographically located in the frontier of the known world. Frontier people are usually particular. The ironborn themselves are considered half insane by westerosi inlanders.

I believe time and isolation -and probably inbreeding- have made them more or less a microculture of its own inside an already isolated culture.

If there's truly a deep isolation, it's voluntary. They aren't that distant from the Iron Islands, and branches of the family hold lands and titles on main islands too, namely Great Wyk.

5 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

If there's truly a deep isolation, it's voluntary. They aren't that distant from the Iron Islands, and branches of the family hold lands and titles on main islands too, namely Great Wyk.

Thing is not that they are distant or not, but the Lonely Light Farwynds are very off limits, considering there's not much else around them... or so we are led to think . But yeah, I am talking about the ones who we actually see during some POV, which are the Farwynds of the Lonely Light. Not a great sample to evaluate the whole family, though.

Edited by Jon Fossoway

• 3 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 6:15 PM, The hairy bear said:

To assume that there's other bodies of land across the sea is a reasonable bet.

But proposing to put the entirety of your people on boats and sail aimlessly to the unknown from where no explorer has ever returned? It's beyond stupid.

Maybe that's  how they once ended up on the Iron Islands: driftwood survivors of a similar "promised kingdoms" voyage?

On 5/8/2023 at 3:07 PM, Jon Fossoway said:

Yes, I was going to write something to this effect. People who live in small island communities, far removed from their main society, often develop a somewhat eccentric subculture. My family used to live in Maine, and I've heard some stories about the people who live on small islands like Vinalhaven off the Maine coast.  I imagine the same is true in many other places around the world. I will guess that GRRM has visited some of those places, and decided to include one in his story as a bit of comic relief

Euron plan seems coherent : trying to conquer Westeros by marrying the most powerful woman in the world, that hatched three dragons, it's not a journey to search for unknown lands.

The Ironborn chose Euron, because Asha is weak, Victarion is dumb, then he promises to conquer extremely wealthy lands as the Reach, Balon was a fool to attack the North, that's a dangerous grey waste. 

Euron is the only character that wears a Valyrian steel armor, and took the hellhorn