MMA/Boxing

Chad Vader

UFC 297 was kind of a dud. I thought that it was hilarious that the guys from Canada went 0-7 and they were basically all favorites lol. Main event I had scored 3-2 for Strickland but I can see it going to DDP 3-2. All in all a subpar event.

On 1/23/2024 at 4:25 PM, polishgenius said:

Kenshiro Teraji and Carlos Canizales fought for Kenshiro's light-fly belts this morning and it was totally wicked

dailymotion link there, for the record

Anyway, highly recommended, early FOTY candidate. Kenshiro's my favourite fighter to watch these days - not the best, but he's so entertaining. 

I think Carlos landed the better shots, close fight. My man, since your the resident boxing expert, when will Bang Bang Zang get a top heavyweight? And also, I think Loma is about to go on a run.

The Saudis pretty much control HW boxing at the moment, so if they decide he's due a shot he'll get one. To be fair, Joseph Parker coming off the Wilder win isn't a bad matchup at all, and putting him on the Jousha/Ngannou card as co-main suggests the winner is being lined up for Joshua.

On 1/26/2024 at 5:42 AM, polishgenius said:

The Saudis pretty much control HW boxing at the moment, so if they decide he's due a shot he'll get one. To be fair, Joseph Parker coming off the Wilder win isn't a bad matchup at all, and putting him on the Jousha/Ngannou card as co-main suggests the winner is being lined up for Joshua.

Who's the best HW currently? I don't know who I'd take against Zang

Usyk's the best HW, for me. I don't think Zhang has much more than a puncher's chance against him. With Tyson Fury, it depends how he turns up - if he shows like he did against Ngannou, he'd probably lose, because Zhang pretty much does what Ngannou was doing in that fight but it won't be his first time. But if on-form Tyson Fury still exists, he'd have to be sizeable favourite, because Zhang isn't fast enough to chase him down.

Thing about Zhang is he's pretty cool, but he's only really looked really good against Joe Joyce, who has to come straight at him and who's slower than he is. I thought he beat Hrgovic in the fight before, but it was a close fight and Hrgovic isn't amazing. I dunno if I'd pick him, but there's a reasonable chance Joshua is just too sharp for Zhang, if that fight happens (which is my assumption for why they're on the same card). 

On 1/29/2024 at 2:47 PM, polishgenius said:

Usyk's the best HW, for me. I don't think Zhang has much more than a puncher's chance against him. With Tyson Fury, it depends how he turns up - if he shows like he did against Ngannou, he'd probably lose, because Zhang pretty much does what Ngannou was doing in that fight but it won't be his first time. But if on-form Tyson Fury still exists, he'd have to be sizeable favourite, because Zhang isn't fast enough to chase him down.

Thing about Zhang is he's pretty cool, but he's only really looked really good against Joe Joyce, who has to come straight at him and who's slower than he is. I thought he beat Hrgovic in the fight before, but it was a close fight and Hrgovic isn't amazing. I dunno if I'd pick him, but there's a reasonable chance Joshua is just too sharp for Zhang, if that fight happens (which is my assumption for why they're on the same card). 

It won't happen now that he's pushing 40 (38 I think) but Beterbiev moving up  and fighting Usyk again would be great. They fought years ago before turning pro (as you know) and I think Beterbiev is atleast #3 in P4P rankings if not higher. Artur is going to hurt Bivol.

• 2 weeks later...

UFC 298 is tonight. I have been betting parleys a lot lately and hit for a few thousand last ppv. I'm taking 3 underdogs, Neal over Garry, Dern over Lemos and Topuria over Volk. For favorites I'm taking Whittaker over Costa, Merab over Cejudo (really want to take Henry here but I can't see it) , Barlow will stay undefeated and the -1200 Nakamura will win. De Lina will be to much for Tafa. Elliot will beat Val Woodburn.  +6554 parley

13 hours ago, Chad Vader said:

UFC 298 is tonight. I have been betting parleys a lot lately and hit for a few thousand last ppv. I'm taking 3 underdogs, Neal over Garry, Dern over Lemos and Topuria over Volk. For favorites I'm taking Whittaker over Costa, Merab over Cejudo (really want to take Henry here but I can't see it) , Barlow will stay undefeated and the -1200 Nakamura will win. De Lina will be to much for Tafa. Elliot will beat Val Woodburn.  +6554 parley

I was 7 out of 9 and should have been 8/9. Ah well

Damn, Volk got slept. Topuria is legit. I was nervous for Volk and that’s obviously why. Ilia has crazy technique, so smooth.

ETA: All favorites won until the main event, and that was close odds.

Edited by Ramsay B.

9 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Damn, Volk got slept. Topuria is legit. I was nervous for Volk and that’s obviously why. Ilia has crazy technique, so smooth.

ETA: All favorites won until the main event, and that was close odds.

Dern beat Lemos imo, at the end of rd 3 the odds had her as the favorite. Yea, it's rare when favorites sweep the board.

On 2/25/2024 at 3:38 PM, polishgenius said:

https://bloodyelbow.com/2024/02/25/junto-nakatani-beatdown/

Junto Nakatani is so cool man. 

Also I understand some UFC happened. 

I picked Topuria to beat Volk. This guy is gonna reign for a while. He would be an issue for Islam at LW. Henry Cejudo called out Brandon Moreno. I think Henry should go back to 125 or fight him at a CW of 130. The BW division is to much for him. Haney vs Garcia is such a bad fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers man. Yeah, it's a bummer. Not too bad for me, was just a little side gig for now and I'll be posting articles with my mates at the Fight Site for the foreseeable if anyone's interested in that. But it's a shitter for actual genuine journalistic coverage of MMA and the UFC in particular, and a lot of guys I know who are going to find it hard to find similar roles within MMA given the state of the media space there.