MCU - This Thread Wasn’t Made For You

DaveSumm

1 minute ago, mormont said:

But that character (and actor) is not only acknowledged as the best thing in the film, and the heart of it, but is also being set up to be a core part of the Avengers franchise going forward. And she's the audience identification character.

Core part of the 'Young Avengers' right? Which is probably a project that is dead on the ground. 

Either way, banking on a character from a TV show that nobody watched to bring in audiences seems pretty misguided.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

Also, anecdotally, the theatre I watched the film in had a large proportion (I'd say maybe 40%) of young teenage girls, folks a year or two younger than Kamala herself. I strongly doubt they were primarily there to see Carol and Monica. Kamala is in the movies what she is in the comics: a rarity for Marvel, an original character that appeals to a demographic outside their core fanbase, a demographic that does write Avengers fanfic and all the rest. They want that demographic. But they too often chicken out of it and revert to type.

This is something I do agree with. It's absolutely fine to have a wide ranging franchise that covers different types of audiences and caters to each one. Instead Marvel try and cram everything together to appeal to everyone, thereby appealing to nobody. If The Marvels is a movie that aligns to the tone of Ms Marvel then clearly it's audience is teenage girls, so make the movie focus on that aspect. 

Then you can have a bunch of movies that all feel different and can attract different demographics. Something they sort of did well before.

14 minutes ago, mormont said:

But that character (and actor) is not only acknowledged as the best thing in the film, and the heart of it

Yes, but people who don't watch the TV show, who didn't feel any attachment to the character, are likely going to go, "Uh, teenage main character from a TV show... pass."

Those who liked Captain Marvel probably wanted to know they were getting more of that. Seeing the film used as a springboard for a TV show teenager is going to feel deflating, no matter how good other people tell you the young actor is.

But I agree with the final paragraph -- Marvel has a real issue with tone and audiences, and their strategy in relation to this. It used to play to just the broad general audience, now it's trying to mix in things primarily aimed at teenagers into that in a way that I think detracts from the appeal to the "general" audience. I mean, as I understand it there's a sort of Bollywood pastiche sequence in this film that is great fun and also in keeping with the style of Ms. Marvel... but did everyone who watched Captain Marvel really see that as part of what appeals to them? Probably not.

I think they need to target budgets to expected audience. A teen-fllled audience probably is not going to appreciate all the wonders of a .... fuck me, $275 million budget. Dear lord. They really need to rein in their budgets.

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Also, anecdotally, the theatre I watched the film in had a large proportion (I'd say maybe 40%) of young teenage girls, folks a year or two younger than Kamala herself. I strongly doubt they were primarily there to see Carol and Monica. Kamala is in the movies what she is in the comics: a rarity for Marvel, an original character that appeals to a demographic outside their core fanbase, a demographic that does write Avengers fanfic and all the rest. They want that demographic. But they too often chicken out of it and revert to type.

It's telling that Kamala was the central character in the Avengers game that Crystal Dynamics put out a few years ago. There was also interestingly, a huge backlash after her arguably pointless death, which has since been either retconned or forgotten about, depending on who you ask.