Sansa and Tyrion Annulment

Ser Arthurs Dawn

26 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

Assuming Tyrek is even still alive...

But I think there are a few more, albeit again she hasn't actually met most of them yet: Edric Dayne, Jojen Reed, Gyles Grafton, two Tallharts, probably quite a few Umbers, a couple of Vances, Olyvar Frey, possibly Damon Vypren.

But looking outside the North, Riverlands and Vale, there is of course the great white shark in the pool of young Westeros bachelors: Aegon.

Surely though Sansa will end up with the nicest of nice guys: Jorah.

I had completely forgotten about Aegon.  Still, I suspect being Queen Consort to a teenager she's never met and knows little about, surrounded by rivals and enemies with few friends would hold minimal appeal.  And Aegon needs military and political support, which Sansa can't provide on her own account.

The remaining suggestions are mostly nameless or low ranking.  The fact is that there is not a deep pool of good candidates.  And some, like Edric Dayne, I see as a better match for Arya.  Martyn Lannister might be a good endgame unity choice.  Of course, not only has Sansa never met him, neither have we.

12 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I had completely forgotten about Aegon.  Still, I suspect being Queen Consort to a teenager she's never met and knows little about, surrounded by rivals and enemies with few friends would hold minimal appeal.  And Aegon needs military and political support, which Sansa can't provide on her own account.

The remaining suggestions are mostly nameless or low ranking.  The fact is that there is not a deep pool of good candidates.  And some, like Edric Dayne, I see as a better match for Arya.  Martyn Lannister might be a good endgame unity choice.  Of course, not only has Sansa never met him, neither have we.

Oh yeah, I don't actually see Sansa ending up with any of the names on that list. Olyvar seems the most likely, but that's saying something.

Sansa's in a funny position in that although she is pretty much a nobody right now in her own right, she is potentially incredibly powerful. For Aegon (though he doesn't know it yet) his serious options for brides are likely to be Margaery, Arianne and Sansa. He may be holding out hope for Dany, but if she doesn't show up soon he's going to need to look elsewhere. Of those three, Sansa is the least obviously immediately useful, but potentially by far the most useful. (Albeit I think Margaery is the most likely prospect).

As far as anyone important knows, she's the rightful heir to Winterfell, and in a position to command the loyalty of the North. As a means of sealing an alliance with Littlefinger, she can bring the Vale and much of the Riverlands on board: in fact, with Edmure imprisoned and her relationship with Sweetrobin, she may be able to manifest these alliances in her own right. And even a claim to be the rightful lady of Casterly Rock is, if far-fetched, not entirely fanciful, under a non-Cersei-led government, albeit that would require her to acknowledge rather than repudiate or annul her existing marriage.

Bringing all of this to bear is likely to be very difficult, but she has some good cards if she can just work out how to play them. And her mentor is one of the best players in Westeros. Yes, he's a nasty piece of work and probably a nonce and I wouldn't trust him any further than I can throw Wyman Manderly, but making the most of Sansa's potential is probably in his interest too, and if not... she can throw him under the bus and use what he's taught her to play the cards herself.

It's occurred to me that we're very likely to see another Martell suitor snubbed by another Targ in the next book.

6 hours ago, SeanF said:

I think it’s more likely that Margaery will be executed, as part of the purge of the old regime.

I feel it's more likely that once Cersei returns to power, she puts Margaery in confinement, Varys kills her, blaming her death on Cersei and the smallfolk rise against her.

Cersei has strong parallels to Rhaenyra, who has also been forced to flee after the death of the popular queen Haelena, and it would also have the added dramatic irony aspect that the death of the queen Cersei feared the most would cause her loss of power.