TTTNE..." title" more research is needed

rocksniffer

12 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Dogs are a great therapy.

It looks like you know what to do to take care of yourself - congratulations. I really really hope things turn up for you in 2024. And if you ever need to vent over the internet, you know where my inbox is. :grouphug:

Why thank you! :D My only real life skill is picking myself up from the various breakdowns. but hey that’s an important life skill and I’m proud to have it, so yay :D 

I have no particular expectations for 2024, but I keep telling myself that out of  the biblical 7 bad years, 4 is already down, we’re past the halfway mark so now the remaining three is just something we can handle even on one leg. I’m sure this phrase doesn’t exist in English. Never mind. 

:grouphug: thank you, you’re are darling, truly!

On 12/26/2023 at 9:15 PM, Buckwheat said:

Yay! What is the new job about?

Unfortunately, it is mainly just RhaeB and myself keeping the thread around these days, and we are also sometimes too busy to post. Myself, I still work as a teacher - for the fourth year in the same secondary school. But this week I have a vacation and I am visiting Italy for a few days.

I'm not very good at explaining it yet, but my job title is researcher, and I'll be doing random freelance stuff, like writing applications for grants and stuff. It's more interesting than it sounds fortunately, right now I'm writing part of a text about European cohesion policy that'll go to journalists all over the continent. It's a lot of sitting behind a screen compared to what I'm used to, but I'm learning a lot and several friends work in the same department.

It's pretty cool to log back in and see TTTNE still existing at all, honestly. It's been a long time since the glory days. I hope you have a good time in Italy! What part are you visiting?

On 12/26/2023 at 9:39 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Congrats on the new job!!! Aw saving… I have vague memories of what that felt like… :lol: joke aside, way to go! 

:lol: Thanks Rhae

11 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Why thank you! :D My only real life skill is picking myself up from the various breakdowns. but hey that’s an important life skill and I’m proud to have it, so yay :D 

I have no particular expectations for 2024, but I keep telling myself that out of  the biblical 7 bad years, 4 is already down, we’re past the halfway mark so now the remaining three is just something we can handle even on one leg. I’m sure this phrase doesn’t exist in English. Never mind. 

:grouphug: thank you, you’re are darling, truly!

I read everything you post! :wub: :grouphug:

On 12/28/2023 at 5:19 PM, First of My Name said:

I hope you have a good time in Italy! What part are you visiting?

Ravenna! We are just travelling back today. I enjoyed the days there.

New job sounds important. :) And exciting!

20 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Nonsense!

How are you doing, Bird? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Emmmm ... *pokes thread* Anybody here?

I had hoped work was going to be slightly less crazy in January. Alas, I was wrong - works still keeps on piling up. But sometimes I can even afford a day off. Or half a day at least. Yesterday, I dragged the gentleman to the theatre! That was interesting.

I have a slight cold, which I hope gets better by Monday and not worse.

How are my fellow spammers, if there are any left?

Edited by Buckwheat

On 1/27/2024 at 9:53 PM, Buckwheat said:

Emmmm ... *pokes thread* Anybody here?

I had hoped work was going to be slightly less crazy in January. Alas, I was wrong - works still keeps on piling up. But sometimes I can even afford a day off. Or half a day at least. Yesterday, I dragged the gentleman to the theatre! That was interesting.

I have a slight cold, which I hope gets better by Monday and not worse.

How are my fellow spammers, if there are any left?

Work is curiously intense for January over here as well. Not a fan of this new way of project management. Also not a fan of doing the project management for not the salary of a project manager. Moan moan. 

Aww so lovely! what did you see at the theatre? We saw a Somewhere in Europe musical in early January for my dad’s birthday and I’m taking my mom for Fiddler on the Roof on Saturday as her Christmas present.  

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I managed to finish a project day at work. Big thing. I am so relaxed after that now. Everything went as smoothly as one can hope for. Now I need some time off.

As always, how is everybody reading this thread?

Congrats on finishing the project! Do get some well deserved time off and enjoy a good rest!

Today was a rut. I blame myself and binge watching and shitty self discipline and time management. But I also like the idea of blaming the thing on a deeper psychological dimension that subconsciously sabotaged me. Namely, today is the one year anniversary of my first attempt at breast cancer surgery (which failed and I was rolled back from the OR and sent home). Today is also the two year anniversary of my taking Prince William to the vet’s to be put down and carrying his lifeless body into the car and into the pet crematorium in my own bare arms. God what a weird day. I get these flashes of memories of random details at random times. I suppose the takeaway is that it’s been 1 year and I’m still here and still going strong. Resilience is cool and shit. And the silver lining is that in the past year I grew as a person more than I did in five regular years and that yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of meeting my hospital bestie. Anyway, I’m ready to switch to February and celebrate a very pink and very self indulgent Valentine’s Day (which is the 1 year anniversary of my actual surgery). 

I’ve also gone swimming twice this month and I can’t wait to go again next week. Very therapeutic. 

what up with everyone else? 

18 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Work is curiously intense for January over here as well. Not a fan of this new way of project management. Also not a fan of doing the project management for not the salary of a project manager. Moan moan.

Well, that definitely doesn't sound like a fair arrangement! I hope you get a raise.

And welcome to February! January just breezed by me. I cannot believe half the school year is already over.

Aww so lovely! what did you see at the theatre? We saw a Somewhere in Europe musical in early January for my dad’s birthday and I’m taking my mom for Fiddler on the Roof on Saturday as her Christmas present.

Shakespeare - Twelfth Night. :) 

Congrats on finishing the project! Do get some well deserved time off and enjoy a good rest!

Thank you. Next week is going to be a bit shorter for me because of a national holiday, so I hope I get just a short rest then.

Today was a rut. I blame myself and binge watching and shitty self discipline and time management. But I also like the idea of blaming the thing on a deeper psychological dimension that subconsciously sabotaged me. Namely, today is the one year anniversary of my first attempt at breast cancer surgery (which failed and I was rolled back from the OR and sent home). Today is also the two year anniversary of my taking Prince William to the vet’s to be put down and carrying his lifeless body into the car and into the pet crematorium in my own bare arms. God what a weird day. I get these flashes of memories of random details at random times. I suppose the takeaway is that it’s been 1 year and I’m still here and still going strong. Resilience is cool and shit. And the silver lining is that in the past year I grew as a person more than I did in five regular years and that yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of meeting my hospital bestie. Anyway, I’m ready to switch to February and celebrate a very pink and very self indulgent Valentine’s Day (which is the 1 year anniversary of my actual surgery). 

I’ve also gone swimming twice this month and I can’t wait to go again next week. Very therapeutic. 

I am sorry it is a bad time of the year for you - but it has been a year, you are still here, a stronger person than you were. So I congratulate you for that! :commie: I wish you as indulgent a Valentine's Day as you see fit.

Swimming sounds great.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Shakespeare - Twelfth Night. :) 

Nice! I’ve never seen that in theater before. How was it? 

Thank you. Next week is going to be a bit shorter for me because of a national holiday, so I hope I get just a short rest then.

Yay for long weekends! Hope you enjoy some down time! 

am sorry it is a bad time of the year for you - but it has been a year, you are still here, a stronger person than you were. So I congratulate you for that! :commie: I wish you as indulgent a Valentine's Day as you see fit.

Swimming sounds great.

Indeed and thank you! Well it was payday today so the self indulgence definitely started :lol: 

swimming is great, it’s been 17ish years since I stopped swimming, never thought I’d love getting back to it so much. 

28 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Nice! I’ve never seen that in theater before. How was it? 

The best part was sitting in the first row on the balcony. I am the weird person who likes sitting up there.

The performance was nice, sometimes funny in a ridiculous way. I didn't care much for the scenery, it was an odd choice. They just made the stage look like it was a light grey box and the walls kept moving higher and lower. No scenery that would make it clear where the characters are, to put the story in some context.

Yay for long weekends! Hope you enjoy some down time!

Thanks, I need it. :lol: But then, the week after that, we are making it up with a work Saturday, so I will need all the extra energy for that.

Indeed and thank you! Well it was payday today so the self indulgence definitely started :lol: 

swimming is great, it’s been 17ish years since I stopped swimming, never thought I’d love getting back to it so much. 

What did you buy?

Where do you swim, do you do it alone or are you joining some organised classes? I love swimming in the sea in the summer. Pools work too, but I still much prefer the sea.

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

The performance was nice, sometimes funny in a ridiculous way. I didn't care much for the scenery, it was an odd choice. They just made the stage look like it was a light grey box and the walls kept moving higher and lower. No scenery that would make it clear where the characters are, to put the story in some context.

Ah so it was one of those modern adaptations? some years ago I saw a modern adaptation of Hamlet, it was mind-blowing in the positive sense. But I remember the modern adaptation of Hair from high school, it was…. something to see a story about 60s America and hippie culture with all white sets and costumes… I guess this minimalist approach can go both ways. And first row balcony is one of the best places to sit :cheers: 

Thanks, I need it. :lol: But then, the week after that, we are making it up with a work Saturday, so I will need all the extra energy for that.

Nooooooooooooo! I thought only this country still practiced this barbaric custom to “make up” for holiday days by working a weekend day. :eek: ugh that’s bad, bad, bad. Well strength and loads of coffee to you and the cranky teenagers in those Saturday classes! 

What did you buy?

Where do you swim, do you do it alone or are you joining some organised classes? I love swimming in the sea in the sum

Pools work too, but I still much prefer the sea.

Just random bits and bobs, funky socks, fuzzy slippers, a couple sets of those trendy glass types , because I have this mental image of me having pink breakfast smoothie from a trendy glass wearing fuzzy socks and something pink. It’s entirely silly but fun and somehow healing.

No class, just me swimming at a pool, at my own little pace because I have the fitness level of a snail. First time I went I thought, okay, it’s been 17 years, let’s do a quarter of what I used to back in school…. Ahaha. So next time it was even less and with a break in-between. I do want to work it up to the level that I can do 1000m in one go and that’s still nowhere middle school Rhaenys’s regular swim practice. Oh well, it’s the intent that counts. 

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ah so it was one of those modern adaptations? some years ago I saw a modern adaptation of Hamlet, it was mind-blowing in the positive sense. But I remember the modern adaptation of Hair from high school, it was…. something to see a story about 60s America and hippie culture with all white sets and costumes… I guess this minimalist approach can go both ways. And first row balcony is one of the best places to sit :cheers: 

I think the text was quite faithful to the original, just the staging was somewhat oddly modern for it.

:cheers: 

Nooooooooooooo! I thought only this country still practiced this barbaric custom to “make up” for holiday days by working a weekend day. :eek: ugh that’s bad, bad, bad. Well strength and loads of coffee to you and the cranky teenagers in those Saturday classes!

Actually, the holiday is on Thursday, and we are getting Friday off as an extra day to make it a long weekend - we don't have to make up for the actual holiday, but for the Friday. We are going to have only a few classes, if any - the elder students have the day off to visit universities (to better decide what they want to do after seconday school) and we get a bunch of primary school students to see our school. I don't know yet what I will be doing on these days, but I fear I will have to go with the rest of the students to see a film about the holocaust - again, after seeing it with the elder students today. I would rather not.

Just random bits and bobs, funky socks, fuzzy slippers, a couple sets of those trendy glass types , because I have this mental image of me having pink breakfast smoothie from a trendy glass wearing fuzzy socks and something pink. It’s entirely silly but fun and somehow healing.

Funky socks are always a good idea. :P 

No class, just me swimming at a pool, at my own little pace because I have the fitness level of a snail. First time I went I thought, okay, it’s been 17 years, let’s do a quarter of what I used to back in school…. Ahaha. So next time it was even less and with a break in-between. I do want to work it up to the level that I can do 1000m in one go and that’s still nowhere middle school Rhaenys’s regular swim practice. Oh well, it’s the intent that counts. 

In sports, it is certainly the intent that counts - and the perseverance! Keep going and I am sure you will soon see progress.

Or something something encouraging sports saying.

I am having a surprisingly productive afternoon - I was home quite early, so I have already cleaned the bathroom (it was high time for that), changed the bedsheet and the covers, washed the bedding and clothes and hung that, and cooked lunch, ate and even washed the dishes afterwards. Whew. I guess the weekend can start now?

On 2/2/2024 at 5:09 PM, Buckwheat said:

Actually, the holiday is on Thursday, and we are getting Friday off as an extra day to make it a long weekend - we don't have to make up for the actual holiday, but for the Friday. We are going to have only a few classes, if any - the elder students have the day off to visit universities (to better decide what they want to do after seconday school) and we get a bunch of primary school students to see our school. I don't know yet what I will be doing on these days, but I fear I will have to go with the rest of the students to see a film about the holocaust - again, after seeing it with the elder students today. I would rather not.

Yes that’s what I meant too. I find it barbaric that these added holiday days should be worked off on Saturdays. But it’s nice that your school will dedicate the day for a uni fair and at least educational films, still better than maths tests like we used to have :lol: 

On 2/2/2024 at 5:09 PM, Buckwheat said:

sports, it is certainly the intent that counts - and the perseverance! Keep going and I am sure you will soon see progress.

Or something something encouraging sports saying.

I am having a surprisingly productive afternoon - I was home quite early, so I have already cleaned the bathroom (it was high time for that), changed the bedsheet and the covers, washed the bedding and clothes and hung that, and cooked lunch, ate and even washed the dishes afterwards. Whew. I guess the weekend can start now?

Well I’m enjoying the fact that some of my extra small jeans are getting too tight, so that should be a motivator to keep at it. One of these days I may even hit my pre Covid golden age weight and have a healthy BMI :eek: 

yay for a productive day! There’s nothing like going to bed with fresh linen on..! Just feels and smells so nice. Oh I need to buy a new bed linen set as well (I accidentally shrunk a duvet cover in the washing machine). Hope the weekend’s been going great!