Baldur's Gate 3: Quicksave is my favourite spell

Luzifer's right hand

7 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It’s cool even i prefer playing bg3 over attending a concert :P 

Heh. Meanwhile, we've already spent nearly $2,000 already on concerts for 2024. 

3 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

You guys don’t know tough fights till you try Divinity original sin 2 :/ makes BG3 look like a piece of cake. Considering abandoning it in Act 2 as Im literally getting pounded left right and center all over the map. 

DOS2 is the game that asks players "...say, have you ever wanted to be a pyro?"

The final city fight in BG3 is a terrible slog mainly cause they throw tons of enemies scattered all over the area at you and it takes forever for them to make a move, probably the most glitchy fight as well with the summon your ally feature. 

It's also very Larian, where the game builds and builds to an explosive, throw-the-kitchen-sink-at-them ending.

5 hours ago, Ser Lany said:

All 3 offspring and the SiL have said to play DOS2, and they even gave me their copy. I stole my son's PS4 and gave it a try.  IT WAS HARD to even figure out what I was supposed to be doing and the brat has no patience to help me out with it.

I love the first few minutes of BG3 as they work as a basic tutorial with Lae'zel guiding you. It's just enough to clue you in on what is expected in the game.  And the cinematics are one of my favorite parts. Harder fights are not a selling point for me

But I have promised to try again...when I can get the PS4 back.

It does have the rest that bg3 has like strong character relationships and a pretty good story with interesting world building. But yeah brutal learning curve and I’d say the quests are less hand holdy than bg3. 

45 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It does have the rest that bg3 has like strong character relationships and a pretty good story with interesting world building. But yeah brutal learning curve and I’d say the quests are less hand holdy than bg3. 

By Larian's own admission, the opening area, Fort Joy, doesn't guide players very well, and doesn't explain things as well as it could have. In fact, I found Original Sin 1 easier to get into and enjoy than 2, because DOS1 guides players a bit better in the opening areas, where it matters most. 

It's still also odd to me that for a vertical game, there's no real jump mechanic, which strikes me as something that would have been quite useful in DOS2. In any event, the art and production and music are all top notch, but even I gave up after a while, as it just got too absurd, with battles that went on for just too goddamn long. Especially once random void monsters start spawning in the middle of battles with maegisters, elongating the lengths of battles, and somehow it's now taken upwards of 30 minutes to get through a single combat instance? 

No. I'm sorry, that is simply too long. 

18 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

By Larian's own admission, the opening area, Fort Joy, doesn't guide players very well, and doesn't explain things as well as it could have. In fact, I found Original Sin 1 easier to get into and enjoy than 2, because DOS1 guides players a bit better in the opening areas, where it matters most. 

It's still also odd to me that for a vertical game, there's no real jump mechanic, which strikes me as something that would have been quite useful in DOS2. In any event, the art and production and music are all top notch, but even I gave up after a while, as it just got too absurd, with battles that went on for just too goddamn long. Especially once random void monsters start spawning in the middle of battles with maegisters, elongating the lengths of battles, and somehow it's now taken upwards of 30 minutes to get through a single combat instance? 

No. I'm sorry, that is simply too long. 

yeah there’s a section in the blackpits in act 2 with oil monsters and that’s…not fun. Literally a 30-40 minute fight with everything on fire and right after I finished it my party members died to the fire surface cause the dialogue scenes went on for too long lol. I still want to finish it but not sure how to level up more as everything around me is too tough but I need to level up to kill them in the first place, catch 22. There’s also way to much micromanaging loot every level unlike bg3 where you can use the same loot In Act 1 as an end game item based on your specific build.  On the positives, the story and world is actually weirder than bg3 which makes it fun and the characters are charming enough. I do wish Amelia was the narrator instead of the old guy though. She does a play a major npc in the game along with the VA who did Mizora so that’s nice to see.

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

yeah there’s a section in the blackpits in act 2 with oil monsters and that’s…not fun. Literally a 30-40 minute fight with everything on fire and right after I finished it my party members died to the fire surface cause the dialogue scenes went on for too long lol.

This is where I noped out. It was honestly just started feeling like a slog and like work, and because the game has yet to explain the rules of the voidwoken, it feels like they can appear whenever and wherever the developers are feeling particularly impish and derious of a good old fashioned goosing. 

And that's just not fun. It's the fantasy game equivalent of a jump scare in a horror movie, and it's not rewarding, there's no lore reveal or interesting items with a history unveiled, or meaningful character development that comes from that, and it just stops being fun. 

While playing the game, I kept thinking "You know, I really miss Tyranny and Planescape: Torment - and even Torment: Tides of Numenera right now, where I get to learn some fascinating lore that lights up my imagination and listen to some wild and alien music", and found myself uninstalling the game to go and play those games instead. Not 'cause they're older, but because it feels like the combat in there is a bit more thought-out, and is actually *about* something, whether it's from a lore, character development, narrative development, or world-building perspective.

That said, I will hear not a single negative word about Borislav Slavov's astonishing music, which charts a *completely* different route from that of Kirill Pokrovsky, but one that really speaks to my musical tastes. 

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Rod - the BG3 Deluxe Edition: https://box.baldursgate3.game/

Tis definitely a real thing. 

yeah that’s a physical edition release which is the same content wise as the digital deluxe (which contained a few extra goodies like the OST and some in game items like dye) plus some physical goodies. But there’s no confirmation of a definitive edition of the game which adds actual new in game content.

However going by the ign interview there should be an eventual expanded epilogue cinematics for the evil endings so that’s something to look forward to, along with cross play,official mod support and more technical patches.  Interesting to see how much more they had cut out from the game- playable ketheric thorm as a companion, Vlakiths palace, gith plane,Hell,candlekeep etc. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

This is where I noped out. It was honestly just started feeling like a slog and like work, and because the game has yet to explain the rules of the voidwoken, it feels like they can appear whenever and wherever the developers are feeling particularly impish and derious of a good old fashioned goosing. 

And that's just not fun. It's the fantasy game equivalent of a jump scare in a horror movie, and it's not rewarding, there's no lore reveal or interesting items with a history unveiled, or meaningful character development that comes from that, and it just stops being fun. 

While playing the game, I kept thinking "You know, I really miss Tyranny and Planescape: Torment - and even Torment: Tides of Numenera right now, where I get to learn some fascinating lore that lights up my imagination and listen to some wild and alien music", and found myself uninstalling the game to go and play those games instead. Not 'cause they're older, but because it feels like the combat in there is a bit more thought-out, and is actually *about* something, whether it's from a lore, character development, narrative development, or world-building perspective.

That said, I will hear not a single negative word about Borislav Slavov's astonishing music, which charts a *completely* different route from that of Kirill Pokrovsky, but one that really speaks to my musical tastes. 

Yeah this is another area where bg3 vastly improves things is giving better context and story reasons to boss fights whereas in dos2 bosses  often just randomly pop up on the map with no story purpose. 

fun fact -some of the songs the bg3 bard plays are themes from dos2! 

fun fact -some of the songs the bg3 bard plays are themes from dos2! 

Heh, not a new fact to me. I noticed that the Rivellon theme got repurposed several times in BG3. In fact, there's a concerted effort by gamescore fans and youtubers to identify all the songs from the game rip, which is kind of remarkable. 

Planning to recruit minthara as a good guy in my multiplayer co-op session with my friend. We’re doing a 2 player session, which I think works well for him to get all the story and companion content as well. Playing as origin Shadowheart and I convinced him to do Durge which should make his personal story more engaging. Reached the emerald grove and already seen some alternate scenes play out , the replayability value is insane.  It’s also quite satisfying to play multiplayer on a second playthrough and see how your friends react to all the epic story beats, can’t wait to see his reaction to Alfira heh…

here’s a lightweight minthara mod which works perfectly well  

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/1856/?tab=images

Im using  the D2 version, since my friend is complaining that he can’t romance Shart since I’m playing her, I thought I’ll give him some equally cute options lol. 

Broke my oath

Spoiler

with an unprovoked attack on the slavers in the underdark digging Nere out.  I always attack them before releasing Nere, easier to fight that way.  If I had released Nere first, he would have initiated the fight and all would have been well.  I knew when I did it it would break the oath, but my point was to see if my normal play would or not. 

So that's one. :( 

ETA:  It didn't seem fair to be punished for helping to protect

Spoiler

the gnomes from the slavers, so I looked it up.  Apparently there are 2 youths with the slavers, and I killed them. So it wasn't the unprovoked attack, you just have to make sure you don't kill the two with the title/name of "ward"

Update: Finished act 2 with no further stains upon my oath. Can't think of anything in act 3 that would break them, but I am sure there is something ;)

I've concluded that I generally play a very "good" and helpful character. The worse thing about being a paladin is I'm wearing the armor I normally give Shadowheart (leaving her in her DJ armor, so I keep getting confused about who I'm moving.  :lol: (I play on the big screen tv, so I'm generally looking at the characters, not their little icons in the corner)

Edited by Ser Lany

Going strong through my current replay with my party half-way to level 5, and trying to think of clever and interesting ways of storming the goblin keep. I know poisoning is possible, but I'm also wondering how the hell to transport all the explosives over from Waukeen's Rest to the goblin camp and then line them up inside the building without raising any alarm bells.

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Going strong through my current replay with my party half-way to level 5, and trying to think of clever and interesting ways of storming the goblin keep. I know poisoning is possible, but I'm also wondering how the hell to transport all the explosives over from Waukeen's Rest to the goblin camp and then line them up inside the building without raising any alarm bells.

you can set explosives without any of the goblins caring, personally even i wanna try poisoning them in my multiplayer playthrough, it just seems more interesting than barrelmancy

Also doing a paladin/tempest cleric multiclass on my origin Shart, my friends doing a monk/barbarian which is kinda bonkers lol

Planning to recruit Minthara this playthrough via the knockout way.

Decided to give honor mode a shot, and am trying to avoid anything truly cheesy to beat it. I also still want to do most of the content, rather than rush through things. So far I'm level 5 and just wiped out the Goblins. I think so long as I don't get too greedy, I'm probably in the clear the rest of the game now that I gotta the powerboost of extra attacks and 3rd level spells. Just gotta delay certain fights until I'm over-leveled (like Auntie Ethel).

The one tight spot so far was fighting the goblins outside the shattered sanctum at level 4. I got over-confident and tried taking on everyone at once without any real prep. Ended up having 3 party members die and had to have Astarion drink the triple-distance jumping potion and escape far enough away so he could flee to camp and pay Withers to bring everyone back.

Golly gee willikers but the Zhentarim have a lot of explosives available for collecting. The ability to now easily send stuff to camp has made this whole collection process infinitely less unpleasant. 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Golly gee willikers but the Zhentarim have a lot of explosives available for collecting. The ability to now easily send stuff to camp has made this whole collection process infinitely less unpleasant. 

What’re the story differences you’re planning this play through ?