Baldur's Gate 3: Quicksave is my favourite spell

Luzifer's right hand

Apparently the game has sold over 10 Million copies worldwide , as per a tweet from their head of publishing (who’s addressing a different issue but does give away this tidbit) 

https://x.com/cromwelp/status/1761874915752325387?s=46&t=XRSoI3kjtMOBaKKv2AuQbg

Good for Larian ! I hope we get more AAA CRPGs from them soon :)

Remember to consider that $nPlayer=/=Unique_Transaction. 

Remember how the bottom of the screen allows for multiple "player instances"? It's entirely likely that their databases are looking at that alongside purchase data and making some potentially erroneous inferences. (As in, two people in a household are playing the game, and each one's been identified as a unique player, but there was only one financial transaction made when buying the game.)

It's still good numbers and optics regardless, but the wording in their post suggests they don't want to reveal how many actual financial transactions took place. (Companies seem to not like revealing that kind of data, for...reasons that hurt my brain to try and understand.)

23 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Remember to consider that $nPlayer=/=Unique_Transaction. 

Remember how the bottom of the screen allows for multiple "player instances"? It's entirely likely that their databases are looking at that alongside purchase data and making some potentially erroneous inferences. (As in, two people in a household are playing the game, and each one's been identified as a unique player, but there was only one financial transaction made when buying the game.)

It's still good numbers and optics regardless, but the wording in their post suggests they don't want to reveal how many actual financial transactions took place. (Companies seem to not like revealing that kind of data, for...reasons that hurt my brain to try and understand.)

Public ones do but yeah private companies rarely disclose. Maybe for tax/valuation reasons ? I think 10 million is quite accurate as someone had done a backwards calculation on the steam numbers using the steam achievements and what Larian disclosed on the players who completed the game as data, and that number alone came to 7.5 Mn. 

So the remaining sales from GoG, Larian Direct, Consoles etc can easily be 2.5 Mn, giving us the 10 Mn figure. Infact I wont be surprised if the actual number is higher. 

https://youtu.be/cBeC0dMWZUM?si=CBsLF124k1uARGTf

This is a very simple analysis but has some decent logic to it.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

On 3/5/2024 at 4:18 AM, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

In other news I did the Cazador quest and the game rewarded me for freeing 7000 souls by…claiming my paladin broke his oath…sigh this is the third time it’s happened and the renewal amount is now 10k so I’m like fuck it I’m gonna remain an oathbreaker this time !

What do you mean by "freeing" the 7,000 feral vampires?  Did you let them lose on the unsuspecting citizens of the city? Or kill them all (which is a way of freeing their souls)?  Or let hunters deal with them?  

I haven't played a paladin yet (my least favorite class) so I'm just curious about what does and does not constitute oath breaking. (also interesting as a DM for an actual tabletop game)

I've finished the game 4 times, and about to start on my 5th. There are still so many things I've not done.  I have never discovered the shadow druids, or done several other side quest, and deliberately skipped the circus. There are just sooo many things.  I've been trying to pick a few new things each playthrough to do. Also trying to work towards specific achievements to unlock. I want a different outcome for Liezel this time and to save Orpheus.  I have considered being a githyanki but not sure I can pull it off.  :lol: I'm just not blood thirsty enough. They really are my least favorite part of the story, and I've likely shorted them because of this.

Edited by Ser Lany

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Githyanki simply look so stupid I have purposefully avoided all plot points that involve them. I skipped the whole Creche because of it.

I find them stupid.  Shoot first, never bother asking a question. They feel so one dimensional.  But the doctor in the Creche and the mages under the inn show they can be more than just fighters.  They are just 98% fighters. 

7 hours ago, Ser Lany said:

What do you mean by "freeing" the 7,000 feral vampires?  Did you let them lose on the unsuspecting citizens of the city? Or kill them all (which is a way of freeing their souls)?  Or let hunters deal with them?  

I haven't played a paladin yet (my least favorite class) so I'm just curious about what does and does not constitute oath breaking. (also interesting as a DM for an actual tabletop game)

I've finished the game 4 times, and about to start on my 5th. There are still so many things I've not done.  I have never discovered the shadow druids, or done several other side quest, and deliberately skipped the circus. There are just sooo many things.  I've been trying to pick a few new things each playthrough to do. Also trying to work towards specific achievements to unlock. I want a different outcome for Liezel this time and to save Orpheus.  I have considered being a githyanki but not sure I can pull it off.  :lol: I'm just not blood thirsty enough. They really are my least favorite part of the story, and I've likely shorted them because of this.

Released them into the under dark, I ain’t gonna kill child victims of Cazador,especially when Astarion also refused the ritual to save them.This broke my oath of the ancients.

51 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Released them into the under dark, I ain’t gonna kill child victims of Cazador,especially when Astarion also refused the ritual to save them.This broke my oath of the ancients.

Same. They have a right to live, and hopefully they can get guidance, or build a community, or feed off animals in the underdark, rather than cause chaos above-ground. Maybe Jarlaxle can help out, if he's still alive in this timeline. (Is the game even considered like, part of the official FR timeline?) 

Paladin is I’m guessing , the ‘noob’ class to play in DnD cause it’s pretty easy to use for me as a first timer and the tanky build and healing/aura buffs really help, but the oath breaker mechanic , while cool in theory was quite frustrating cause I was also scared to be even slightly grey in my RP for fear of losing my class….(I don’t want to play as Oathbreaker) I guess oath of vengeance was the most grey paladin subclass ? But I took ancients for the animal speaking perk…

I mean you can break your oath just for calling a ghost a coward in Act 2( the one who spied on her friends) , like WTF game. Paladins must’ve been bullied as kids to have such strict tenets !

I think Paladin is by far the most popular class, I guess most people thematically want to play a good ‘knight’ character. Definitely was one of my first choices, and i did find it rather fun being that pompous puritan! 

They make it really hard to not break your oath though, I think I lasted 10 minute, those Tieflings guardian Lazael mean you have to pass a charisma check to avoid it, which I didn’t do.

After that though it rarely came up 

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think Paladin is by far the most popular class, I guess most people thematically want to play a good ‘knight’ character. Definitely was one of my first choices, and i did find it rather fun being that pompous puritan! 

They make it really hard to not break your oath though, I think I lasted 10 minute, those Tieflings guardian Lazael mean you have to pass a charisma check to avoid it, which I didn’t do.

After that though it rarely came up 

And with each breaking of oath the gold price went up so I was paying 10,000 gold by the end to reclaim my oath :(

For those who’ve played co-op are you and your friends able to romance the origin companions at the same time ?(different characters) how do the sex scenes work ? How does approval work ? If you have 4 player co op can you still add origin NPCs to your party ? How do individual stories  of each co op player (say DU player, epilogue etc) work out ? Does each multiplayer person have their own unique scenes or does the party as a whole watches each scene ? Can the players continue playing offline on their own ?  Do you get multiple same loot or just one version of it ? How does choosing dialogue choices work ?

I’ll be starting a multiplayer campaign with a friend who’s planning to play on the legion go so wanted to know. I’ll be playing on pc. Planning to do this on tactician mode. 

On 3/14/2024 at 5:57 PM, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

The Gur hunters were ok with this?  Whenever I didn't kill them, the Gurs did.   I mean, they are not ALIVE any more, vampires are undead and soulless. And as someone who plays drows, I can say the underdark is not unpopulated.

But this is one of the the things I LOVE about this game!  The choices.  Some make minor differences, some make huge ones.  For the first time, I have Lae'zel siding with Orpheus.  It's awesome, so many different encounters we never got before.

Also, how the hell does anyone do EVERYTHING in a playthrough?  I can't keep that many things straight. I pick a couple of minor quests each time (outside the main companions' quests)

And finally, why is Withers all up in my (lack of) romance business? seriously! I was going for Halsin, but must have mess it up, so now I'm debating returning to act 2 and redoing it.  I just want to see if they have changed the ending so we can keep hanging out.  But Withers doesn't need to know that.

ETA:  I hate playing tanks of any type (you hit things, how boring), but now, I really want to play a paladin, just to see if my natural play style would break my oaths :rofl:

Edited by Ser Lany

11 hours ago, Ser Lany said:

The Gur hunters were ok with this?  Whenever I didn't kill them, the Gurs did.   I mean, they are not ALIVE any more, vampires are undead and soulless. And as someone who plays drows, I can say the underdark is not unpopulated.

They were absolutely ok with this when they confronted me after I stomped all over Cazador's corpse.

But this is one of the the things I LOVE about this game!  The choices.  Some make minor differences, some make huge ones.  For the first time, I have Lae'zel siding with Orpheus.  It's awesome, so many different encounters we never got before.

The story pretty much sets her up to head in that direction anyway, as she becomes disillusioned with Vlaakith and slowly sides with Voss.

Also, how the hell does anyone do EVERYTHING in a playthrough?  I can't keep that many things straight. I pick a couple of minor quests each time (outside the main companions' quests)

There's a journal list with all the side quests? And I complete them one by one like a manic little completionist?

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

They were absolutely ok with this when they confronted me after I stomped all over Cazador's corpse.

The story pretty much sets her up to head in that direction anyway, as she becomes disillusioned with Vlaakith and slowly sides with Voss.

There's a journal list with all the side quests? And I complete them one by one like a manic little completionist?

I think he means all the alternate content like having minthara instead of Halsin as a companion if you go evil and other branching decisions. Yes I know you can glitch her into staying alive as a good guy but I don’t count that as the game never acknowledges it and reacts to it in the storyline with Halsin just ignoring Minthara. 

5 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I think he means all the alternate content like having minthara instead of Halsin as a companion if you go evil and other branching decisions. Yes I know you can glitch her into staying alive as a good guy but I don’t count that as the game never acknowledges it and reacts to it in the storyline with Halsin just ignoring Minthara

Oh, that. Yeah, I kinda ignored Minthara, partly because as I understand it, Larian are (Alert! Awkward English grammar incoming!!) still patching her logically into the game. (Jeezus, what a f'n sentence.) 

9 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Oh, that. Yeah, I kinda ignored Minthara, partly because as I understand it, Larian are (Alert! Awkward English grammar incoming!!) still patching her logically into the game. (Jeezus, what a f'n sentence.) 

Yeah there’s all kind of cool stuff like Minthara having unique scenes when you romance her as an origin Karlach (crazy multiverse result!) but the general consensus is that she’s still waay too buggy, often talking about things that haven’t happened, reacting to wrong branching decisions, not triggering any character development scenes  or just randomly breaking up with you, etc. 

I think they honestly should’ve just kept her as a normal recruitable companion to avoid all this complexity in coding her right….its a shame cause even I haven’t recruited her but looking at her meme videos she seems like she’s quite hilarious (similar to drax from gotg) and a fun,morally grey companion to have.(has a whole redemption arc you can trigger also)

In any other news, looking at that interview it seems Larians pretty focused on their next game already and I doubt we’ll get a definitive edition of this game. Bear in mind, their first two games were much rougher so a definitive edition made sense. Kinda similar to Witcher 1-2 having definitive editions also and TW3 having none cause it’s a much more polished, AAA game already. As Swen mentioned in the interview,  we’ll see official mod support and a few more technical patches (hopefully fixing Minthara) coming in but no further content patches.