March Reading Thread

Joanna vander Poele

MinDonner,

These are great news. I can't wait to read this book, really. :)

Finished reading Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill, a good horror story, and Hart and Boot and Other Stories, a story collection by Tim Pratt. Some fine tales in this one. I recommend it.

After Lies of Locke Lamora, I'm reading The Last Dragonlord, by Joanne Bertin. An older novel, lighter and heavy on the romance side, I'm enjoying it so far. Usually don't go for fantasy novels heavy on the romance side, either.

After Lies of Locke Lamora, I'm reading The Last Dragonlord, by Joanne Bertin. An older novel, lighter and heavy on the romance side, I'm enjoying it so far. Usually don't go for fantasy novels heavy on the romance side, either.

I really enjoyed The Last Dragonlord, too. I wasn't sure if I'd like it since it was a lighter novel, but it was a lot of fun. I read the sequel, too, and it said she was coming out with another book in the series, but as far as I know, she never has.

I decided I hadn't read enough science fiction (mainly just Asimov, Card, and Nancy Kress's Beggars series) so I've been reading the Hyperion Cantos. Over the weekend, I finished The Fall of Hyperion and started Endymion. They're so good; I'm definitely going to have to try to read more science fiction.

Finally finished The Terror by Dan Simmons. Just wow. Awesome book. Much as I loved Hyperion (and I've only read the first book of that series), Carrion Comfort was always my favorite Simmons book, and I never thought he'd top that. Well, he did. Extra points for weaving historical facts and happenings into the story so effortlessly, the same way he did with The Crook Factory.

Just finished Dragonbone Chair, took me forever. I thought the first 300 or so pages were incredibly boring, but the last 200-300 pages were awesome. I hope the next is like the last few pages.

The first half of the first book was sort of slow, but the rest of the series is brilliant (IMHO).

None of my friends are real readers it seems - I don't think one single book that I've loaned to someone has been read yet. That's why I'm on the internet talking about the damned books :P

Isn't it amazing. I find the same thing. Very few people are actually regular readers. The only one I know in person is my mother, and my wife. Other than that, most of my acquaintances and friends either don't read at all, or reading a book for them is an actual event that happens maybe once a year. Thank God for all you people here.

I'm quite lucky there; I have a whole group of friends with similar tastes, and lots of book-swapping goes on. My boyfriend isn't so keen, though; after many months I've finally got him to read LoLL but I doubt I'll ever get him reading anything as long as ASoIaF... :(

I've decided to try and endear myself to my boss by giving him TLoLL, I reckon he'll thank me for it.

It was a civil service though, the last book I he read was "The Tommyknockers", and he is a reader!

By the way, I am getting back into the Masters of Rome series (re: my earlier post in this thread), and I don't recall seeing any discussion of the books. Does anyone know of one such thread? Apologies for having nothing new to add, I plan to start reading again real soon.

I finished Ink.

So, that was a bad idea, reading Vellum and Ink back to back. And, well, I am exhausted. Not only did it not clear things up into a coherant whole, but about halfway through Ink it occured to me that there was no deep coherant whole. It was as if Duncan wanted to rant a bit on Sodom, and so he did. Then he wanted to do a riff on some classical lit. Then he wanted to re-work Sumerian myth. Then he wanted to do a graphic sex scene. Then he wanted to rant a bit on Abraham. But the plot, well, it was kind of thin and could have been covered in a couple hundred pages instead of 1000. At times it felt a lot like Illuminatus, without the tongue-in-cheek tone. Did I mention that I was tired? And more unexpectedly, I actually started getting sick of his politics.

And I was one of those who absolutely loved Vellum when it came out. And yes, Duncan can write and some of his passages are pure poetry. But, now, I'm just, well, blah. Rather read James Joyce instead.

So, yes, he's brilliant, but, well, you can have too much of a good thing. I think Vellum is the better novel. So if you loved Vellum you'll read this. If you didn't absolutely love Vellum you probably won't have the patience.

Yesterday I listened to the audio version of John Scalzi's The Sagan Diary - which you can download for free here (full review). It's good, very introspective with no action, but probably just for fans of familiar with Scalzi's writing.

Archived