Art of Ice and Fire

Lordwalker

My boyfriend got me a copy for Christmas. I really like it.

My impressions:

-It is thinner than I had pictured in my head, but that is okay.

-A little disappointed to see that most of the Targaryen stuff was the portraits by Amok. I know that I'm probably the only one, but something about his portraits just seem off to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, perhaps it is something about the shading.

-Mike S. Miller's Aerion Brightflame is fabulous! He looks so insane and like he just ate someones heart.

-John Howe's Mad King Aerys and The Eyrie are simply amazing. I adore them.

-Glad to see Jenny Dolfen in here. Each one manages to capture the mood superbly. I can see why George R. R. Martin specifically asked for Brother, Dear. I would've done the same.

-Mammoths, Giants, and Wights, oh my! I dig all of these. I would like to see a larger version of Winter is coming by Thomas Denmark. It looks spooky.

-I like all the different interpetations of Catelyn. Interesting to see how different people depict a mother of five who is still supposed to be pretty.

-The bear and the maiden fair made me giggle.

-Michael Komarck rocks. Cersei looks hot, although I imagine that her ass would be definitly be hot considering how close she is laying to that fireplace.

-Xia Taptara's stuff is all extremely sexy. I wish she had done something of Cersei.

-Maiden of Highgarden by Jean Tay is nice. Reminds me of the girl with a pearl earring.

-Esad Ribic's Dany really doesn't fit what is in my head at all. I picture her being much more delicate and way more beautiful than this.

Overall, I totally dig it. I like how you can look at the section for the North and then look at Dorne and see how it is just a complete constrast of harsh,dark and cold to warm, bright and sexy.

Yeah I got it for christmas aswell.

I have got to say whoever did the Arakhs for the Dorathki needs to be fecking shot.

I mean honestly a bit of common sense would have helped, a sword shaped like that would be pretty much feckin useless.

I pictured them more like 1 handed Falxs, not something that looks like a pig tail.

Awesome book, I picked it up at GRRM's book signing in San Diego. I really like all of Amok's stuff. One of my favorites out of the whole book would have to be the battle of Robert and Rhaegar at the Trident. But I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out who's Jon Snow looks the most like I imagined? All in all a great book of artwork it's so amazing to see every artists interpertation of the characters.

I, too, got this book for Christmas. I gotta say, I was disappointed. Not by the art really. But the layout of the book was really shitty. There was a lot of unused white space. I felt bad that Amok's beautiful Targaryen portraits were each made to be about an inch high (except Dany) to fit that gaudy "House Targaryen" banner which I couldn't help but notice was in the same font used for lots of Harry Potter merchandise with the house names on it.

I was also sort of upset that we got so many random people pictures when some characters we know didn't get much attention. (I loved the Highgarden maid, it's a beautiful picture, but I wouldn't rather had a known character or a scene from the book.) I was disappointed by so little Sandor. Woe.

I like Jenny Dolfen's stuff though. I love the look on Bran's face in the one where they find the wolves. He's so cute. I want to snuggle him.

One of my favorites out of the whole book would have to be the battle of Robert and Rhaegar at the Trident.

This seems to be a piece everyone loves. It's still my favorite piece, but I was wondering ,was Robert's armour ever described or is the antlered helm creative license?

It would make sense of course given what we know of Lyonel's and Renly's armour, but I just wanted to ask if Robert was described, and in what book. I do know that Rhaegar's helmet has been explicitly described.

-A little disappointed to see that most of the Targaryen stuff was the portraits by Amok. I know that I'm probably the only one, but something about his portraits just seem off to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, perhaps it is something about the shading.

No worries...I think I'm also one of the few who, despite the fact that Mr. Martin seems to like him, isn't enthralled with most of Amok's work...it also seems "off" to me more often than not...

And now, I've known I've needed to get this book for some time...but now I'm going to have to step up my collecting...

And G7's and Mike Miller's stuff are among pieces I've seen that I like the best so far...

And G7's and Mike Miller's stuff are among pieces I've seen that I like the best so far...

My feelings too. I think Mike Miller has a gift for re-creating the scenes in the book. His scenes bring the text to life, IMHO.

Amok has a talent for portraits, but I think Miller's vision is closer to my own.

I got the book and have noticed some great work from Jean Tay, except I can't find any current work of hers online. Does she have a website I just haven't found?

I only know her DeviantArt gallery, which can be found here:

http://azhrarn.deviantart.com/

Hasn't been updated in almost two years, sadly. :(

She doesn't have an Elfwood or Epilogue gallery afaik, but I remember people at Epilogue going "Who is this person who does such great art and isn't at Epi?? Someone make her join!!" :)

Who's the guy in the Stormlands section with the sword and the Wizard's cloak (black with stars, and a purple pattern on his shirt). I don't have the book with me right now, but the picture had the word "Triumph" (or some variant) in the title.

I only know her DeviantArt gallery, which can be found here:

http://azhrarn.deviantart.com/

Hasn't been updated in almost two years, sadly. :(

She doesn't have an Elfwood or Epilogue gallery afaik, but I remember people at Epilogue going "Who is this person who does such great art and isn't at Epi?? Someone make her join!!" :)

Yeah, I had seen her art there before and it looks like she's really advanced since then, and I wanted to see some new work. Total shame we can't find anything recent.

Archived