July reading

A wilding

Hey, I get to start the thread this month!

Just read Romanitas, a debut by a Sophia McDougal. This is an alternative history with a touch of SF, with the Roman empire still going strong at the start of the 21st century.

This book was annoying, because it has something and I wanted to like it, but there were just far too many things wrong with the plot and the world building. Non spoilerish examples:

- The imperial household is way too small and chaotic for an organisation that runs half the world (to be fair, the book dodges the question as to how much personal power the Emperor has, but it is clearly somewhere between very great and absolute). For example the adult heir to the imperium has only a single personal secretary, and the holder of this key plum job lives off site in a small flat with no servants or security because he "can't afford anywhere bigger".

- There is no explanation of why the social and political structure of the Empire has remained totally unchanged for two millennia. Given that the technological development is roughly equivalent to that in RL, I found this one particularly difficult to swallow.

- Slavery has been the bedrock of society for two thousand years, and just about nobody (other than the slaves themselves) objects to it, but suddenly a faction of the imperial family has decided more or less out of nowhere that it is wrong and plan to simply abolish it.

I'm currently reading The Jewish War by Josephus (Penguin paperback). It's the story from the birth of Herod until the destruction of Jerusalem by Titus in 71 A.D. Josephus calls the war the greatest conflict of his time, which prompts him to write it's story.

The introduction by the original translator drips with contempt for Josephus (a Jewish defector), and his won shortcomings in prefering the New Testament over Josephus and his unwillingness to concede that the NT may not be entirely true.

I also have Lynch's Locke Lamora lined up, as well as Bakker's Prince Nothing.

Well I'm indulging in a new ST:NG book, The Buried Age. It's a story from Picard's Stargazer court martial all the way until he took over the Enterpirse-D.

Then it's on to Deadhouse Gates and Acacia and a non fiction book I picked up after hearing the author intervied called I Sold My Soul On E-Bay.

Currently reading Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. I like the combination of history and morbid humor she uses on a subject (presidential assassinations) that I didn't know much about. I'll most likely try and get her other books as well.

Just starting Lies of Locke Lamora and liking it so far. I'm also going to start Memories of Ice as soon as I can get a copy. In addition I've got a bunch of books I'm reading for work purposes but I doubt anyone wants to hear about those.

Finished The Darkness that Comes Before, now reading The Warrior-Prophet. Likely onto the third book in the trilogy after that. I'll also probably read The Count of Monte Cristo soon, though I'm not sure whether I'll read an abridged version or try to track down an unabridged.

I'll also probably read The Count of Monte Cristo soon, though I'm not sure whether I'll read an abridged version or try to track down an unabridged.

Abridged it could be awesome. I know some disagree but I found the full book tedious.

Finished reading Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson some days ago. Full review on my blog here. (Any feedback/help with blogging is much appreciated)

Can't say I was really impressed with what SE has pulled off in his latest installment. It all felt a little bit rushed at the end and just too long, stretched out.

Now reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Absolutely love it, fresh and entertaining read. I am actually ashamed I didn't pick it up earlier this year/last year.

I finally finished up the nine book science fiction series by Julian May that includes three smaller series Saga of Pliocene Exile (four books), Intervention (two books), and The Galactic Milieu Trilogy (three books). I thought it was very creative, and well written. I have been busy, and it took me about a month to get through it, but I really enjoyed it. :) I am not sure if the entire nine book series has a name? Or just the three smaller series that make it up? The series as a whole takes place over some six million years and spans two galaxies...

Since I am now on vacation from work for a week, I am cruising quickly through some books. ;)

I read the second half the the Sharing Knife duology by Lois McMaster Bujold. While very heavy on the romance aspect (perhaps a bit too heavy), it is an interesting world, with the most unique use of necromancy I have ever encountered (the necromancy is actually very life affirming).

This morning I read a pure popcorn book, the latest of Mary Jancie Davidson's Queen Betsy (Betsy is the queen of all vampires and lives in Minnesota) series, Undead and Uneasy. Nothing ground breaking, but always a lot of fun. :)

Three of my favorite mystery series have new books out, and I hope to read those this week as well. :)

And I get to go the Tigers game on Thursday. Go Tiggies!!! :cheers:

Just finished Brasyl by Ian McDonald. I thought it was pretty good and that the author really captured the flavor of Brazil. It had a bit of a faster pace than I would have expected, but that didn't detract from the story hardly at all.

Next up Acacia.

I still reading Black Man by Richard Morgan, and I'm loving it. I like it a lot more than Brasyl which seems to be the other front runner for the Hugo.

Just finished Brasyl by Ian McDonald. I thought it was pretty good and that the author really captured the flavor of Brazil. It had a bit of a faster pace than I would have expected, but that didn't detract from the story hardly at all.

Next up Acacia.

What did you think of the ending? I don't mind an ambiguous ending, but damn. I felt like Alaerien felt about Hyperion upthread.

I finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell last week. Loved the narrative style. Loved the characters. The plot's pacing would fluctuate from slow to fast and back again for much of the first half, but still one of my favorite books I've read since I got back into reading. Behind Game of Thrones, Storm of Swords, Clash of Kings, and Hyperion.

I hope to start Cornwell's The Winter King soon, and then I'll run through the rest of the Warlord Chronicles afterwards. I fully expect to love them all.

On Hyperion -

SPOILER: Hyperion
Fall of Hyperion is the ending... I can't really understand that complaint. Now, if someone complained about the goofy "We're off to see the wizard!" final scene I'd be right there with them.

Here's a copy/paste from elsewhere of planned reads:

To Finish Reading:

The second HP book (got sidetracked with all the ARCs), in both English and in Serbian Translation

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, The Life of Christ

Vergil, Aeneid (Latin) - might extend into August, though.

To Read:

The remaining HP books, including DH around 7/21.

John Twelve Hawks, The Traveler; The Dark River (ARC)

Alison Goodman, Killing the Rabbit (ARC)

Daniel Abraham, A Shadow in Summer

Karen Miller, The Innocent Mage (ARC)

K.J. Parker, Devices and Desires (ARC)

Brandon Sanderson's two Mistborn novels (one an ARC) are going to be sent to me soon by Tor, so hopefully by the end of the month, I'll have them both read.

Unos libros en español que para otra vez leeré

Miguel Cervantes, Don Quijote (Spanish) - going to start at the beginning and this time finish it in Spanish, hopefully before my birthday (I want this to be my 100th book read in Spanish this year).

Oh, and I'm thinking about ordering some Sapkowski in English translation and possibly a few others, since I now have some money to spend over the next two weeks on books...I'll have to think about those.

Archived