Five Worst Books in the Last Five Years

duchess of malfi

Worst books:

Sword of Truth from Pillars of Creation onwards - It was never a great series, but I was curious to see how it would end, and it seemingly never would. Things just kept getting repetetive and dumber and far more preachy.

Across the Face of the World by Kirkpatrick - thought it would be interesting, but it is YA for 10 year olds, so there was just not enough to grab the imagination at all.

Black Magician's Trilogy by Trudi Canavan - anopther YA that attempts to be Harry Potter, but doesn't have quite the imagination or the magic.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Clarke - just had nothing exciting goign for it. The action was drowned by words and words and words... gave up half way through.

The Davinci Code by Brown - nice story and liked the detail put forward, but unfortunately the characters are just so 2D and unsympathetic. Could have been better.

Hourable mention: Crossroad of the Twilight by RJ - the previous 2 books weren't up to scratch, but this was baad. Just all over but going nowhere. Ugh.

Most disappointing:

A Feast for Crows by GRRM - I was so looking forward to this. I was stuck on Site in the middle of Ghana when it was released and I begged my friend at work to buy it for me and mail it to site. Months later and it still hadn't arrived, another guy on site got it and I begged him to borrow it. When I finally got it I just locked myself up over the weekend and read it. None of my favourite characters were in it, and there was so much time given to characters who took the story nowhere. It seemed like the whole tale was to give a glimpse of things happening around the major story arcs, and the major tale didn't move forward at all. And I waited so LONG! Anyway, really hoping aDwD will rectify this, but learnt not to pine like I did for aFfC, only leads to heartbreak.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K Rowling

The Dark Tower: Book 7 by Stephen King

I Lucifer by Glen Duncan

The Outsider by Camus

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

All of those books (except for The Outsider), I could not finish. They were just horrible.

Oh, I'll also add in Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

Laurell k. Hamilton's 'Blood Noir'. God, I hate that book... :tantrum:

I can't think of any others right now, 'Blood Noirs' sheer suckiness takes up all the room I would normally have for thinking of other books.

To be honest the first thought that came to mind when i read that was that its your fault not Hamiltons. After her recent books what else where you expecting ?

I think i've managed to avoid most of the worst, thanks to this board.

Crossroads of Twilight stands out as probably the worst book i've ever finished. I was one of the first people to buy it, so there was nobody to warn me off. Nothing happend throughout the entire book. Nothing. :|

Then there's Toll The Hounds. What a dull, lifeless mess. Erikson's novellas are quite good, so he decided to write one and pad it out with 800 pages of emo internal whining. It inspired me to take all my Erikson novels to the charity shop.

Thus Spake Zarathustra was pretty bad. Dunno what possessed me to start it, really.

If I must pick five, i'll go for the last couple of Harry Potter books. I'd probably have enjoyed them if I was 13, so I can't really say they were terrible.

I would have to say the Twilight Series and the Eragon series are both pretty horrendous. I read all of the books in those series and hated all of them. The recent, popular YA fiction sucks. Especially Breaking Dawn. That book was the worst.

I don't know why I kept reading them, but once I start a book or a series I have to know how it ends, even if it sucks. The only series I ever stopped reading were Wheel of Time (In the middle of book 8) and the CS Lewis's space trilogy (At the beginning of That Hideous Strength). Once I start book or series I just have to know what happens to the characters even if they are horribly dry and flat.

The Dark Tower: Book 7 by Stephen King

I was pretty hard on the ending when I first red it but in retrospect, it was the most riveting part of the book. The rest of it was ridiculous, right from the Big Bad being so lame to Stephen King who may have thought he was interesting enough to be an actual character in the series.

In fact, I think there were multiple Kings in the last book. :ack:

I was pretty hard on the ending when I first red it but in retrospect, it was the most riveting part of the book. The rest of it was ridiculous, right from the Big Bad being so lame to Stephen King who may have thought he was interesting enough to be an actual character in the series.

In fact, I think there were multiple Kings in the last book. :ack:

The characters were also soulless shadows of their former selves.

To be honest the first thought that came to mind when i read that was that its your fault not Hamiltons. After her recent books what else where you expecting ?

I've only read the last couple of books in the series. You've got a point though, it's like watching the aftermath of a disaster (on the news) where you're appalled by the carnage but cannot tear your eyes away from it... :blush:

2. Quicksilver: I'm a Crypto and Snow Crash fan but this was a pathetic excuse for a book. When authors become famous they start dictating the terms and suddenly everything a good lector would throw into the garbage pile stays in. Maybe the original version of Crypto was 3 volumes long and the publishers cut it to size and made it a great novel. With Quicksilver you have pages and pages of boring interactions that nobody really cares about. Sad, because I bought this book with huge expectations.
Er...no.

I know that you have defined 'worst books' as books you couldn't finish so technically you aren't saying that you think the book is rubbish. But, no. Just no.

Archived