The Greatest book Ever.

Jagged

I'm not going to attempt to name the 'greatest' book ever because its very likely something I have never read.

My favourite books of all time (some of them could be considered 'great') are

Lord of the Rings

Pride and Prejudice (It doesn't matter how many times I read this it still makes me laugh)

Alice in Wonderland (I said in the other thread that Lord of the Rings inspired my love of fantasy - in truth it was probably this book)

and

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (because life shouldn't be taken too seriously, its a long way from the greatest book ever written but it will always be one of my favs)

Reading that book as I type this out. Very good, btw.

nice if you know nothing about Daoism, perhaps. I took an entire summer course on Daoist sorcery, then at the end our instructor made us read that book.

<cue Jesus Quintana> "Laughable, man!"

"A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch (Incredibly engrossing story)"

I remember that one from school, it was good. 1984 was ok, I was probably too young at the time to really catch all the subtext. I liked Watership Down.

No idea about greatest book ever since I've not read them all but some personal favourites are:

Word of Honour by Nelson Demille. Incredible book about a guy put on trial for war crimes committed by his men during the Vietnam war. Demille's best imho.

The Secret Pilgrim by John Le Care. The story of an aging spy reminiscing over his life, one of his better ones. The second last chapter (I think) dealing with Frewin is excellent characterisation and alone makes the book worth reading. That the book is set in the same 'universe' as the Smiley books and the Russia House is a big bonus. Incidently it was dedicated to Alec Guiness, the author's way of acknowledging his perfect portrayal of Smiley in the TV adaptations of Tinker, Tailer Soldier Spy and Smiley's People.

nice if you know nothing about Daoism, perhaps. I took an entire summer course on Daoist sorcery, then at the end our instructor made us read that book.

<cue Jesus Quintana> "Laughable, man!"

i have studied tao and the i ching in college courses, and i found pooh very good.

• 11 months later...

Well I’m putting my vote behind the books I could reread and reread without ever tiring of them. That for me defines my personnel ‘greatest’.

I’ll have to second Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey, which someone mentioned earlier, and I’ll add 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, with St Agnes’ Stand by Tom Edison. Those are some of the few books I will enjoy time after time.

Another vote here for 100 Years of Solitude

A few 'non-classical' favorites:

The White Boy Shuffle - Paul Beatty - Funniest book I've ever read. Literate, inventive, and probably a bit dated since it was released in 1996

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson

A Confederacy of Dunces - William Kennedy Toole

Hey, 100 Years of Solitude was recommended by Oprah, and I think it's up there! :)

Sure it's up there, but in its own genre - easily the best (Nobel Prize winner)

Not saying it's the best book ever (cuz saying a thing like that is a bit ridiculous), but Don Quixote is pretty good.

But if someone called Don Quixote the -funniest- book ever, I couldn't disagree...

Cervantes & Shakespeare died on exactly the same day. The Spanish celebrate it with a national holiday. Rest of the world should follow - best of their time

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende - best 20th century fantasy

The Princess Bride by William Goldman - best 20th century historical revisionist spoof

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton - Best Australian book ever

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien - best adolescent boys book ever

Archived