The Chris Wooding Thread

Werthead

I really enjoyed Retribution Falls but I gotta say, as much as I love Firefly, I think this novel was a bit *too* similar. Especially when the Mange showed up since they just seemed like Reavers in disguise. There also seemed to be some heavy influence from Last Exile and Full Metal Alchemist (two anime series) but I have no idea if Chris has even seen those. But it was still a very fun read and I think he did a helluva job with the character development.

• 1 month later...

Amazon.co.uk has a short plot synopis for The Black Lung Captain.

Welcome to a rip-roaring action-packed story of heists, double-crosses, double-double-crosses, adventure, shoot-outs and a touch of romance along the way. In the first Ketty Jay novel, RETRIBUTION FALLS, Frey and his crew were framed for murder, and had to use all their criminal talents to try to clear their names - and turn a profit! Here, in the second novel in this series of standalone adventures, they're asked to help retrieve a mysterious lost ship full of treasure, which turns out to be slightly more complicated than expected...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Lung-Captain...8343&sr=1-2

The UK Book Depository should still have it, I got mine there a few months back, no problems with delivery to Canada.

I agree with the comments about Firefly, it is very similar, but still enjoyable.

Relic, Amazon.com won't have it as it hasn't been released in the US yet. You could try the new Book Depository.com, which is supposed to be able to get the same books as its sister site in the UK.

oh that explains the price and the 4 week wait time. i cant afford ordering all these books from the UK. Will have to wait till it hits stateside. i hope it keeps that amazing cover...

Not 100% sure about this, but I don't think the author has a US book deal for this book yet. . .

Patrick

I guess that means you will be mailing me a free copy, right Pat?

Pat?

Pat?

...Where'd he go....?

I'm very pleased to say that a US deal on Retribution Falls and The Black Lung Captain is all but done. Publisher and release date to follow when everyone's signed on various dotted lines! :thumbsup:

Congratulations, Chris. Having just finished the first book, I can say that this is well deserved in my opinion.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Robots? Where? :shocked:

Sorry for long absence; I got lifeswamped. :(

Updates on the whole Retribution Falls thing: Spectra in the US (a division of Random House) are publishing Ret Falls and the Black Lung Captain, straight to MMP in October and November next year.

Meanwhile in the UK, the MMP of Retribution Falls comes out in April, including a teaser chapter for the Black Lung Captain and a print version of the Logbook Of The Ketty Jay, the informal little prequel that I blogged in the months preceding the release of the first book. The Black Lung Captain is out in July in hardback/TPB, I'm just about to deliver final edity tweaks and we're just waiting for the cover art to come in. Right now I'm talking with Gollancz about doing a 3rd and 4th in the series: news on that when I have it.

I just finished Retribution Falls; I liked it so much that I'd enter an illegal relationship with it.

All I ask is you treat her nice.

:read: :whip:

:leer:

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Retribution Falls" and I have to say it's one of the most fun reads I've had in a long while. Initially it was hard to escape the "Firely" comparisons and Frey is still Nathan Fillion in my head but as the story went along it became more it's own thing. I'm not sure if Chris has read/seen "Full metal alchemist" or played any of the final fantasy games but the world of Ketty Jay reminds me a lot of those two worlds too.

Credit is also due for delivering the first book in a series that actually has a self contained story. There's only "the lies of Locke lamorra" i can think of late that has achieved that - and i think fans of Lamorra would also enjoy this.

Looking forward to the sequel to see where things go; the blurb suggests it's going somewhere different from the obvious ones that sprang to mind

the continuation/resolution of either Crake or Jez's dilemna

Archived