Ideas For Denver Worldcon

Stego

Now how does the hotel know you are attending the con. :P I don't believe it does. You don't give your con membership number or anything. It is vaguely possible that the con compares the con attendance list with the hotel booking list but I doubt it.

In fact, I bet you could get discounted hotel rates all over the place by figuring out which conventions were going to be at hotels you wanted to stay at, and then googling the convention so you could find their website and get the special booking code (evil laugh).

Of course, I'm cheap, so even the discount rate at most of these hotels is more than I want to pay. Unless it's a con, and needing a convenient place to stumble back to at 4 am after too many drinks is a factor.

I was really more asking what we need to do to prove to the hotel reservation clerk when we call that we are eligible for the convention rate.

Or can anyone who asks for it get it, even if they aren't registered for the convention?

Usually the reservations are handled thru one vendor, like the local convention center booking service. I not sure how Denvention is handling this one. there should be more information up on the Denvention web site about how all of this is going to work before the day the reservation blocks are released. I do know that they intend to try to prevent double-bookings, which screw up forecasts for how many room nights they actually have booked and to make sure people who want a room get a room. Since the convention is using several hotels, and have a contract guaranteeing a certain amount of room nights with each one, they want to ensure that attendees are able to get a room asap, without hundreds being cancelled in the last weeks while people re-group and decide to cancel those extra rooms they reserved months before.

Yes, there have been instances of people booking rooms with the con rates, although they are not members of the convention. Ask any of the old-timers from DC/Baltimore about the late lamented DisClave and how it was destroyed by outsiders using our reputation and hotel for their own purposes.

Please have no fear on the account of a party suite. It will be taken care of.

*****Re: the point of this thread:

If you have any more ideas on theme, please express them ASAP. X-Ray and I (and hopefully a few more I will peg to help out) will decide on a theme shortly.

Please understand that we may not pick everyones favorite theme, but that the theme is mostly for the outsiders. The friendship, fun, and fellowship is what the BWB was always about, and I hope to upkeep that.

Please fell free to PM or email me any thoughts or ideas.

Wildcards and Wildlings works, it adds something for those not familiar with Wildcards. It should I would think bring more attention to George's other works. I haven't read them yet but I know I'm planning on it now :)

I'm curious Stego, nothing has been mentioned by you that I've read yet (unless I missed it) about the raffle. Are you planning on having one this year?

Also the 2 open parties. Does this mean no trivia? We did the raffle draw, trivia, and knighting the nights of the private party before. Having no private party makes these events a little less bwbish/organized imo. Is it possible to just have a day time event in someone's room for trivia and the raffle draw?

Open parties do make a lot of sense fundraising wise. I'm not saying we shouldn't do that, I'm just wondering where the fannish aspects are? We seem to be centering on partying a lot more and overlooking actual BwB events. I realize its harder to do with such a large group, however it is the reason quite a few people are there, and the reason the BwB started.

Shirt comments...

- black = good. I wear the Nights Watch shirt and both shirts from LA regularly.

- Could also do a Joker holding spears garbed like a wildling?

- I would agree with GoN and Mormie here, if it can be organized and done with enough time there is a great chance that they would benefit.

- The BwB logo on a breast and nothing else isn't something I would choose. Maybe add small print saying Brotherhood Without Banners Denvention 2008?

- I *like* that my shirts have the year and the con printed on them. Its a souvenir of the con and the BwB.

- Last but not least, for those of you worried about geekiness... you're going to the World Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention. What are you if not a geek? :rolleyes:

Hmmm...don't kill me for nitpicking. :P Admittedly, my memory loss is getting really bad recently but I could have sworn we did the knightings during the main party in LA. (Admittedly, really late). The raffle wasn't done during either party in LA IIRC, which was probably a mistake on our part. Since it involves a non-BwB audience, it should be done during the public party I suppose. And the trivia, wasn't that done during the public party also (although in a seperate room away from the party)? Since it no longer involves GRRM, it doesn't really matter either way. In fact, while in the beginning nearly everyone was involved, the trivia contest has reduced into a side-event with less than 50% involvement. Not sure are we having one this year actually. Of course, in other WCs we did things differently again.

I do agree that we don't want to lose the BwB aspect of the cons. But then as you suggest, we'll have the cons for 2 full days, so we'll be able to hang out there as required. And maybe a few other general events will crop up. In LA we had Medieval Times and the chess thing. Somebody imaginative might think up something else. :)

*kills pod* please oh please let me defend my post your royal nitpickiness....

I said we did it privately BEFORE... I did not say we did it that way in LA. Since you are quoting LA at me I will say specifically that I am not referring to LA on purpose for many reasons. We were asked for opinions and the floor was left open for questions/comments/suggestions.

In LA i'm not sure what night the knightings were. Toronto and Boston were on the private party nights. In LA the trivia was done in a separate room and I don't think it carried very well. In Toronto and Boston we did it at the private party and a lot of people joined in simply because they were already there. In LA the raffle was done quietly off to the side on (i think) the last day people were there and even then it wasn't completely done.

Of course you aren't sure we are having trivia... hence my asking in my post. Medieval times and chess were decided in advance as well in LA, as was the tattoo outing. With medieval times though a lot of people joined in at the last minute when they were specifically asked if they were coming.

The knightings were definitely after the private party at LA. Before the quest began, George dubbed the higher nobility. Then, here it comes, he made Pod King and everyone in the room but George and Parris kneeled to Pod and chanted "DevilBunny!!!" (Parris may have kneeled too, not sure?) That would not have happened at the public party, methinks. Anyway, we could just check the LACon Reports thread.

Trivia was on the public party night, a ways away from the party.

ETA: the higher nobility thing and the sending out on the quest will be a little weird if it's two public parties. Just imo.

ETA2: Trivia kept getting postponed too from what I remember. I think it was supposed to be on Thurs at one point. Daj would know the story. Not that it's important. But we should just pick a day and stick to it if we do it, especially since George is not doing it anymore.

Glad we mostly sorted that out Mich/Jon. :)

the higher nobility thing and the sending out on the quest will be a little weird if it's two public parties.

That's a fair point. Although, I do think holding 2 public parties is the way to go because of reasons voiced previously. Maybe wind things up earlier one night for some BwB stuff. We have had 2 public parties before. Boston maybe? We managed to work around it (probably by winding up early one night).

In LA the trivia was done in a separate room and I don't think it carried very well.

And that's true too. If it is held again, we probably could do it another way. :)

We are having two public parties. We are going to do everything we can to break even fiscally on this con, and so, while I understand all of your points and opinions, this much at least is decided.

As is, I may as well toss it out there now, the Raven Award will not be given for Denver Worldcon. I'm sorry if this upsets some people. There are many who deserve it. But not this year.

These are all good suggestions. Just to ease anyone's mind about stuff they haven't yet seen mentioned (for example, the trivia), we love these ideas and will address them when the time comes. Right now, Stego and I are trying to get the most important and time-sensitive things sorted: party suite, t-shirt theme (if we even do them), general plan for parties, and fundraising activities (I've gotten some good ideas on these, but I'm always open to more -- drop me a PM if you've a winner).

The details (like if we're doing trivia) will come later because they don't require the organizational resources. :)

(for the record, I think trivia would be fun, and we could totally swing it during one of the public parties. Same with the Quest/Knightings.)

Archived